In Memoriam RIP Alberta O'Reilly Fan

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Mike's last post came after the B's won in Philadelphia just a little more than 2 weeks ago.

He hinted things were not well with him but his love of the Bruins as always came through
yea, you're just waiting to see what Mike would've said next....

it reminds me of how the Celtic family dealt with Tommy, and, then KC's passing, and still is, in some respects....

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Folks, If I could have some help it would be appreciated.

Someone who works for the Bruins has asked me to put something together (he saw it in my tweet and the responses) and he said he would pass it onto the PR department but couldn't make any promises.

As you folks already know by now, I'm not that great at putting things into words, so if I could get 5 people who knew Mike the best to write a paragraph and DM it to me, I will put it all together and pass it along.

I know there are probably many of you that would like to contribute, but I can't include everyone. Maybe @Alicat can help me because she is good at stringing things together.

Thanks all

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like to ask Mike after watching NHL Network a few minutes ago get 5 points including natural hat trick who would he take in 1979 knowing what we know now

McDavid or Gretzky

something tells me he will get me his answer some point soon- probably when I’m sleeping because I’m sure it will be long

McDavid better equipment training etc but he like Orr are so superior combination of skating to skills then everyone else they played against

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
When I first started posting here 5 years ago, his long posts would drive me crazy. But then I really started reading them and his passion jumped through the page. But when I think of Mike his passion for the Bruins is not what I’ll remember. From his writings it’s his passion and love for his wife that I’ll remember. Even going through all the health problems he did, his wife was always his first priority. His wife was always his first love. From his writings of her I could feel the love and compassion he had for her. It is inspiring. It makes you want to be a better person. A better spouse. I never met the man, but those writings I could tell what kind of man he was and the type of character he had which we should all hope to have.

Rest In Peace Mike. Thank you for your contributions. Not just your Bruins takes but the lessons you taught on what true love really is.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
When I first started posting here 5 years ago, his long posts would drive me crazy. But then I really started reading them and his passion jumped through the page. But when I think of Mike his passion for the Bruins is not what I’ll remember. From his writings it’s his passion and love for his wife that I’ll remember. Even going through all the health problems he did, his wife was always his first priority. His wife was always his first love. From his writings of her I could feel the love and compassion he had for her. It is inspiring. It makes you want to be a better person. A better spouse. I never met the man, but those writings I could tell what kind of man he was and the type of character he had which we should all hope to have.

Rest In Peace Mike. Thank you for your contributions. Not just your Bruins takes but the lessons you taught on what true love really is.

I knew of him before I began posting because of the length of his posts. They were always worth reading, it was tough when some would focus on the length instead of the content to debate/critique. Incredible to see just how long Mike contributed here with those articles way back in early HF days.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I knew of him before I began posting because of the length of his posts. They were always worth reading, it was tough when some would focus on the length instead of the content to debate/critique. Incredible to see just how long Mike contributed here with those articles way back in early HF days.
I miss the old threads that got removed during the great server purge. I used to go back and read them when I first joined. Went back to what, around 2000 or so? Sad. :(

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

I made a Tolstoy joke once. While funny, I came to regret it. Never did it again.

One thing I think we can all do for Mike here on the board is to continue to bring what he would work to bring to this board:

Positivity, kindness.

If we all just stopped even once to reconsider a single post and ask ourselves "How would Mike talk about his topic" instead of just putting out our emotional knee jerk reactions, we would best honor his memory and continue to make this forum a better place.

I will miss the positivity he brought here. It speaks well to the man he is that even though his life was not all roses and rainbows, he made effort to look on the bright side and help bring others to that perspective as well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I made a Tolstoy joke once. While funny, I came to regret it. Never did it again.

One thing I think we can all do for Mike here on the board is to continue to bring what he would work to bring to this board:

Positivity, kindness.

If we all just stopped even once to reconsider a single post and ask ourselves "How would Mike talk about his topic" instead of just putting out our emotional knee jerk reactions, we would best honor his memory and continue to make this forum a better place.

I will miss the positivity he brought here. It speaks well to the man he is that even though his life was not all roses and rainbows, he made effort to look on the bright side and help bring others to that perspective as well.

Well it was funny and it was not mean-spirited- Mike told me, genuinely I believe, that he was okay with that sort of thing. He could take some kidding.

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
As @DKH mentioned, a legend. His style was so unique, it was easy to recognize his posts even without looking at the profile name on the left side of the screen.

I have been reading this forum every single day for almost 20 years now. I never met anyone from here, but when I hear about this sad news, I felt I had just lost a longtime friend. It made me realized many of you are very important for me. Please all be careful.

Even if I didn't agree with many of his posts, Mike had a real positive influence in my life. He helped me understand that, even if everyone disagrees with you, you have to be honest with yourself and stand for what you believe in. The world is so full of people changing their minds all the time just to please others, life has taught me that is not the right path to happiness or success...Mike was a true inspiration to help me realize that finding your passions and love is the true meaning of life.

When I was reading Mike's posts, I was often imagining he was Don Quichotte with a Bruins sweater. RIP.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I am certain I was just a flat-out asshole to him on more than one occasion. All he wanted to do was talk about the Bruins and I'd give him a hard time about being long-winded (something I'm guilty of myself from time to time). He seemed like a good guy, though and loved this team and this sport. RIP to a true fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00