OT: Rio Olympics

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sandra Perković won our 3rd gold and 4th medal (that 4th medal could become gold if IOC grants gold to Martin as they rightfully should) total, Hrgović knocked out his oponent in boxing to secure at least a bronze in the HW boxing division. The refs gave his opponent the 1st round despite the fact that he was knocked down and that the ref had to count (it was hilarious), but luckily Hrgović knocked him out to prevent any shenanigans with the scores.

Our sailor Stipanović has secured at least a silver medal, while gold is firm in his grasp unless something unexpected happens in the last race of the event, our two other crews are also in good shape as they hold 1st and 3rd places in their respective groups.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The U.S. men's basketball team will not win gold this year. Someone is going to beat them. One close game, chalk it up to maybe an outlier. Three close games in a row where the U.S. had to fight tooth and nail to win (especially against France sans Tony Parker) shows where there's smoke, there's fire. And this U.S. men's team has given every country they play from here on out a reason to believe that, yes, they can be beaten.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think I have watched a total of an hour of Olympics... yet everyday I google the medal count. :laugh:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The U.S. men's basketball team will not win gold this year. Someone is going to beat them. One close game, chalk it up to maybe an outlier. Three close games in a row where the U.S. had to fight tooth and nail to win (especially against France sans Tony Parker) shows where there's smoke, there's fire. And this U.S. men's team has given every country they play from here on out a reason to believe that, yes, they can be beaten.

They are playing a terrible brand of bball, effectively showing everything that's wrong with the NBA today.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They are playing a terrible brand of bball, effectively showing everything that's wrong with the NBA today.

They're relying too much on individual performances to bail them out of games. Too much isolation as well. That plus their defence stinks. For a team with players like Paul George, DeAndre Jordan, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson, I didn't expect their defence to suck. Draymond can hardly get on the court, though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sweden reach the womens soccer final after another 0-0 shootout win against a better team, this time against Brazil.

The turtle is strong in this team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Freudian I'm not sure why your handball team underachieved so much, they looked terrible at times.

Too many technical errors and not as strong defensively as in the past.

They overachieved last Olympics and underachieved now. There are a couple of great young players on the team though so hopefully the future is bright.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sweden has lots of tradition in handball but unfortunately we haven't had the same kind of players like before. When we had skilled guys like Magnus Wislander, Staffan Olsson, Stefan Lövgren, Ola Lindgren, Magnus Andersson, Ljubomir Vranjes, Pierre Thorsson, Tomas Svensson (goalie) and a tough mean warrior like Per Carlén... these are only some examples. The Swedish national team in handball used to be very, very popular in Sweden, a national pride, but not any longer.

Freudian I'm not sure why your handball team underachieved so much, they looked terrible at times.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sweden has lots of tradition in handball but unfortunately we haven't had the same kind of players like before. When we had skilled guys like Magnus Wislander, Staffan Olsson, Stefan Lövgren, Ola Lindgren, Magnus Andersson, Ljubomir Vranjes, Pierre Thorsson, Tomas Svensson (goalie) and a tough mean warrior like Per Carlén... these are only some examples. The Swedish national team in handball used to be very, very popular in Sweden, a national pride, but not any longer.

Which is why I'm asking, I grew up watching the Swedes and Russians battle for the titles, and I've played handball for a long time, even played a couple of tournaments in Lund. It's a shame you guys became an afterthought when people are talking about medal contenders. It's also not that you have poor players, or had poor players, you still had Andersson who was one of the top right backs in the world, Ahlm who was the best line player in the world, Lovgren was younger than the rest of the golden generation, Kallstrom was the best left wing in the world, Tobbias Karlsson was a very good defensive anchor, Ekholm is a fine player, your goalies were top notch, I mean Tommy was an elite keeper well after Staffan and Magnus retired, but they just couldn't put it together on the national level despite some of them being the core foundation of Kiel that's been a dominant force in European handball when Noka was there, it's like when Bengt left the aura and magic of the Bengan boys went out with him, and anyone who stepped in for him wasn't able to deliver.

Even the new talented players like Du Rietz have failed to deliver on their promise, Swedish handball is eerily similar to our basketball, we were once the undisputed #2 in the world, but since Dražen Petrović got killed in that horrible car crash we just can't catch a break on the senior level, despite the fact that our junior teams have been smacking around the rest of the world for quite some time.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I've heard lochte is a nice guy in the swimming community circles but he has about 1 crayon out of a 364 collection.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Lochte is exactly what you think. A dumb jock. He had an odd moment with a security officer at a gas station and told his mom he got robbed (for some stupid god damn reason).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Two more golds in the bag, we're at 5 golds and 7 medals total, our WP team plays in the finals, and Hrgović has bronze wrapped up, and will be boxing for a spot in the Finals at 2PM ET.

One of the two golds was totally unexpected, Sara Kolak won gold in the javelin throw for women, in what seems to be the most unexpected medalist in these Olympics. So proud of the kid, she was the youngest person in the finals and is 18 months removed from a massive shoulder injury.

All in all, we have 9 medals wrapped up and one more could be on the way if Blanka VlaÅ¡ić does something in the high jump, that's insane for a country of 4.5mil people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad