OT: Rio Olympics

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Rio-Olympics-Opening-Ceremony-2016-Live-In-India-TV-Channel-Date-Time.jpg

Someone had to start one.

Looking forward to all the sports except maybe basketball. I can't bring myself to cheer for Carmelo Anthony.

As a former rugger though, I'm pretty excited about rugby being included in the games. I just wish it was union and not 7's.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
USA! USA! USA!

Off to a good start. Gold in the first event.

Just watch the Canadians lose to the Brazilians in beach volleyball. Would have been a big upset. Almost had them in the second set.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Another Olympics where three medals is the absolute most we could hope for. Javelin throwers have a chance, a wind surfer might have a chance and a wrestler might have a chance. I'll go with 0 to 1 bronze.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm curious to see if we medal in football, otherwise the summer olympics are just "meh". The winter games are different...because curling is awesome...but the summer games? Eh.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Hope all Canadians do well especially our local Brianne Theisen-Eaton who’s in the Heptathlon. Have watched her dominate in track since grade 8.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'll never love the Summer Olympics like I do the Winter Olympics. However I enjoy watching the Canadian Women's soccer team and now the the rugby team is just murdering Japan. Hoping for at least a medal in 7's from these players.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So many athletes are looking to break Finnish records while not qualifying for final heats/finishing like 25th...

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
With Russia losing their entire track and field team China and the USA are going to be fighting tooth and nail for the total medal count.

USA! USA!

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
August/September tend to drag on while waiting for the NHL to start but with the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey, it should fly by.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Someone had to start one.

Looking forward to all the sports except maybe basketball. I can't bring myself to cheer for Carmelo Anthony.

As a former rugger though, I'm pretty excited about rugby being included in the games. I just wish it was union and not 7's.

Sadly Union will never make it as it's just impossible to play a tour in so little time.

I'm looking forward to handball (I know a lot of folks here got into it last time, and that they wondered how such a sport isn't more popular in the US), waterpolo, basketball (waiting for the Dream Team to fall flat on their faces), and other sports where we can make something happen (boxing, tae-kwon-do, athletics, rowing etc).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So a gymnast broke his leg in a landing. Do NOT look at the picture if you are squeamish.

[collapse=ouch]
skada5.jpg
[/collapse]

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Aussies are pulling in the golds in the pool. Show you Americans how it is done ;)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Another Olympics where three medals is the absolute most we could hope for. Javelin throwers have a chance, a wind surfer might have a chance and a wrestler might have a chance. I'll go with 0 to 1 bronze.

i think 2 medals. no golds.

both in niche sports (not competitive around the world). track & field is very popular around the world but javelin throw is not. men's wrestling is tough to medal but women's wrestling is not.

we also might have shot in sports where PEDs don't have as big impact like sailing or shooting sports.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I'll never love the Summer Olympics like I do the Winter Olympics. However I enjoy watching the Canadian Women's soccer team and now the the rugby team is just murdering Japan. Hoping for at least a medal in 7's from these players.

I prefer the winter games as well.

Most of the interesting stuff will happen way past midnight my time so I probably won't watch much of Rio 2016.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What are your Olympic Sports, that you pretty much only watch during the Olympics but quite enjoy?

For me it's Gymnastics, Cycling, Swimming and Volleyball.

PS. If you haven't watched Handball, check it out. It's a great sport and the players are very tough. Should appeal to hockey fans.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'm curious to see if we medal in football, otherwise the summer olympics are just "meh". The winter games are different...because curling is awesome...but the summer games? Eh.

I usually enjoy the summer games better but lsat winter Olympics was a blast. Even watched Figure skating...highly enjoyed it more than anything else.:laugh:

What are your Olympic Sports, that you pretty much only watch during the Olympics but quite enjoy?

PS. If you haven't watched Handball, check it out. It's a great sport and the players are very tough. Should appeal to hockey fans.

Track and field/swimming.

Handball is alright too.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Handball, water polo, swimming.

I really don't like gymnastics. I'm not a fan of sports where they get all made up or dressed up for an athletic competition. I dislike figure skating for the same reason.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Dude's still sporting less makeup than Hope Solo had on yesterday.

And yes cgf, since our discussion a few months ago, AB is watching more soccer. It's still not really resonating with me, but I'm trying...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dude's still sporting less makeup than Hope Solo had on yesterday.

And yes cgf, since our discussion a few months ago, AB is watching more soccer. It's still not really resonating with me, but I'm trying...

This hasn't been the best time to get into the sport. The CL saw the best teams get bounced by a very defensive & physical squad, and the Euros were very poor in quality. This has been a bad year for the sport, but luckily the more attractive teams look poised to reclaim the upper echelons this coming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad