Confirmed with Link: Riley Stillman signs extension (3 yrs 1.35M AAV)

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Rozy was still far superior player to Stillman his final years

LOL at anyone trying to argue different

Yes, but it's not a fair comparison. Kid vs vet on defense, the most difficult position to play.

Too many folks can't appreciate that almost all young Dmen need to go through a steep learning curb if they wish to stay in the NHL. The quickness of NHL is the biggest change for most. Some can adapt, many can't.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Most defenseman progress at his age. I like the gamble on the third year. It gives Stillman stability, and has potential to be a budget signing. Good insurance policy signing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Rozy was about as mobile as a department store mannequin, but he thought the game better than Stillman seems to.
It's that mannequin like skating ability that puts Stillman on his level (or the level he was in his last few seasons here).

Rozy sucked at the end. Not his fault, dude was aging out of the league. But he was given a $2.2m per year contract to be a mediocre 6-7th defenseman, in a time when the cap was lower, and a certain someone here didn't bat an eye. Stillman, a young kid who has played at a similar level, gets crapped on for making nearly a million less per year.

I hate that I made the comparison because now it feels like it's taking over the conversation, instead of the general point I was trying to make, which is pointing out the hypocrisy of a certain prevalent poster here.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Would a replacement level player be paid zero salary? Do you pay an above-replacement-level player to sit? Is Ian Mitchell right now an above-replacement level player?

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Imagine carping about this contract. JFC.

If Z wants a significant raise, he'll be getting it elsewhere, which is 100% the correct move. Just to be clear, if they can settle on a reasonable number, I'm ok with that. But I doubt it.

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It's not large enough sample size to make more than a guestimate but he's shown he has at least three elements that are more inherent than taught - skating, size and toughness. Even if he doesn't become more than a #6, those 3 elements make him worth $1.3M. I don't see a downside on this and there potential for upside, including the possibility of supplanting Zadorov (and his much larger Cap hit) as the resident "tough guy".

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It's that mannequin like skating ability that puts Stillman on his level (or the level he was in his last few seasons here).

Rozy sucked at the end. Not his fault, dude was aging out of the league. But he was given a $2.2m per year contract to be a mediocre 6-7th defenseman, in a time when the cap was lower, and a certain someone here didn't bat an eye. Stillman, a young kid who has played at a similar level, gets crapped on for making nearly a million less per year.

I hate that I made the comparison because now it feels like it's taking over the conversation, instead of the general point I was trying to make, which is pointing out the hypocrisy of a certain prevalent poster here.

Rozy made $2.2M until 2015 (cup year.)
After that he made $600k and $650k while playing 15-16 mins per night.

Dude was worth every penny.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Rozy made $2.2M until 2015 (cup year.)
After that he made $600k and $650k while playing 15-16 mins per night.

Dude was worth every penny.
He wasn't worth it the last 2 years he was making $2.2m. He had redeemed himself a touch with a decent two playoff series in 2015, but then he got injured and missed the remaining cup run.

Reactions: Pez68 and BK

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
He wasn't worth it the last 2 years he was making $2.2m. He had redeemed himself a touch with a decent two playoff series in 2015, but then he got injured and missed the remaining cup run.
True but we played with 5 D men as long as Rozy was healty. After he went down we played with 4.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Rozsival was very good in 2013 and 2013-2014. The dude had 60% corsi in both those years. Natural Stat Trick doesn't have the xGF% but I'm sure he would have fared well in both those categories as well. Certainly, his last 2 seasons in Chicago overall were meh.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
True but we played with 5 D men as long as Rozy was healty. After he went down we played with 4.
Him being better than Rundblad doesn't mean he was good. He was serviceable for a 6th-7th, just like Stillman is now, except Rozsival cost nearly a million more per year.

Rozsival was very good in 2013 and 2013-2014. The dude had 60% corsi in both those years. Natural Stat Trick doesn't have the xGF% but I'm sure he would have fared well in both those categories as well. Certainly, his last 2 seasons in Chicago overall were meh.

He was heavily sheltered on the best team in the league. Though he was still a good defender in the 13 season. After that is another story.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Maybe you should actually watch hockey. Know why his advanced stats were so good? Because he played the most sheltered minutes on those teams. He got like 70% offensive zone starts. Very good? Lol.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Maybe you should actually watch hockey. Know why his advanced stats were so good? Because he played the most sheltered minutes on those teams. He got like 70% offensive zone starts. Very good? Lol.

Wait... you're telling me that a third pairing Dman was getting sheltered minutes? That's *f***ing unheard of*. I actually can't believe that.

Well, now that the initial shock of a third pairing Dman getting sheltered minutes has worn off and I've somehow managed to collect my thoughts...

I do watch hockey. I'd imagine his advanced stats were "so good" bc he was having a significant impact in his role in those years. It's not really up for debate but thanks for coming out and contributing your thoughts.

As an aside, you should give this a read: Zone-Starts – Hockey Graphs.

It may sway you from quoting a useless stat in the future! And for the record, his OZS% in the two years were 62 and 65% respectively (I rounded up for 2013-14, just for you).

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Him being better than Rundblad doesn't mean he was good. He was serviceable for a 6th-7th, just like Stillman is now, except Rozsival cost nearly a million more per year.
Him being better than Rundblad or Timonen wasn't exactly my point. Fact is he was NHL D 2014-2015 season.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Wait... you're telling me that a third pairing Dman was getting sheltered minutes? That's *f***ing unheard of*. I actually can't believe that.

Well, now that the initial shock of a third pairing Dman getting sheltered minutes has worn off and I've somehow managed to collect my thoughts...

I do watch hockey. I'd imagine his advanced stats were "so good" bc he was having a significant impact in his role in those years. It's not really up for debate but thanks for coming out and contributing your thoughts.

As an aside, you should give this a read: Zone-Starts – Hockey Graphs.

It may sway you from quoting a useless stat in the future! And for the record, his OZS% in the two years were 62 and 65% respectively (I rounded up for 2013-14, just for you).

Lol.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Are we really doing the Rozi thing again? Guy was great in 13 as a third pairing guy. He was alright in 14 and completely f***ing cratered in 15 but the defense was thinner so Q played him even more which made everything worse. He was decent in the 15 playoffs before getting hurt after an abysmal regular season, but if he hadn’t gotten hurt I don’t think the Hawks win the cup that year. Rozi at twenty minutes a night and “fresh legs”?

I think Anaheim takes that series.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad