Confirmed with Link: Riley Stillman signs extension (3 yrs 1.35M AAV)

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The only thing that worries me about this deal is JC playing him more than he should and then blocking someone like Beaudin or Mitchell.

But hopefully he just ends up in Seattle.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
That's three players signed to contracts in 2023-24...all defenceman...

Brent Seabrook
Isaak Phillips
Riley Stillman

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Florida fan: good deal for him. One way keeps in the NHL.

im guessing he’ll eventually up between a 4 and 5 D so will be worth a good bit last season. He’s a decent physical defenseman

Reactions: Space umpire

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Lol. If he doesn't overcome his poor positioning, he's barely a 6-7.
Nah, he's been a 6th through most of the games he's played here. Just because we lack a top pairing that can help allow our bottom pairing to get easy minutes, doesn't mean what he's done isn't worthy of being on an NHL bottom pair.

If we had our defense from 2015, Stillman's presence would be welcomed on our bottom pair, alongside TVR. I made the comparison earlier, but think back to Rozsival in his last few years, that's what a 6-7th defenseman is. Stillman is AT LEAST that.

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Nah, he's been a 6th through most of the games he's played here. Just because we lack a top pairing that can help allow our bottom pairing to get easy minutes, doesn't mean what he's done isn't worthy of being on an NHL bottom pair.

If we had our defense from 2015, Stillman's presence would be welcomed on our bottom pair, alongside TVR. I made the comparison earlier, but think back to Rozsival in his last few years, that's what a 6-7th defenseman is. Stillman is AT LEAST that.

This. Hope he develops. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility. That said, he's gonna have to advance his play quite a bit before we can start comparing him to Hammer or Murph (and keep a straight face).

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Does this open up a deal for one of Carolina or Colorado's D before the expansion draft as they have more then they can protect? Honestly....Keith and Murphy are the only 2 dmen even remotely worth protecting. there is no way even Stunley is dumb enough to qualify Zadorov at 3.6. Package up some of our expansion exempt assets of which we actually have some nice ones, and go get a top pairing dman from a team that can't protect all their guys.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Wow that was fast.

I like it, he didn't really show worse than Zadorov or de Haan. Brings the same kind of elements but much cheaper, a direct replacement. If he ever figures out some more offense it's a big steal.

Nice job by Stan, we have our tough guy without paying much for it.
He's more of a punching bag than a tough guy.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wow that was fast.

I like it, he didn't really show worse than Zadorov or de Haan. Brings the same kind of elements but much cheaper, a direct replacement. If he ever figures out some more offense it's a big steal.

Nice job by Stan, we have our tough guy without paying much for it.
It was fast for me.... but then again I haven't scouted Stillman prior to his arrival in Chicago. Hopefully, the Hawks have but I have not seen Stillman enough to comment one way or the other about this contract.

Last edited:

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I’m okay with this signing.
He kinda sucks right now but he does still have potential and is young for a defenseman.

But, Rozy was twice the player Stillman is so far.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I’m okay with this signing.
He kinda sucks right now but he does still have potential and is young for a defenseman.

But, Rozy was twice the player Stillman is so far.
Not the last few years, he wasn't. The final 3 seasons were awful, and he was making millions in two of them.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Why does a barely replacement level player need a 3 year deal?

Bc he's 23 and the bet is that he'll improve over the 3 years, providing the Hawks value relative to his contract. Like Bickell when he was given a 3-year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad