Confirmed with Link: Riley Stillman signs extension (3 yrs 1.35M AAV)

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Good deal for Seattle

I'm more inclined to agree with @Kaners Bald Spot that this means the Hawks are moving on from Zadorov who has a $3.2M qualifying offer. With all the young dmen in the pipeline especially Vlasic and Phillips showing potential, it makes a lot more sense to have a guy at Stillman's cap hit playing third pair than Zadorov's. Zadorov may yet be a good complimentary piece for another team and I don't think the Hawks will have a hard time getting assets back for him if they don't dangle him to Seattle to protect their young forwards.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Uhhhh, ok then. Cheap enough to not be mad, but he sucks.

Gotta assume Z is gone now.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm more inclined to agree with @Kaners Bald Spot that this means the Hawks are moving on from Zadorov who has a $3.2M qualifying offer. With all the young dmen in the pipeline especially Vlasic and Phillips showing potential, it makes a lot more sense to have a guy at Stillman's cap hit playing third pair than Zadorov's. Zadorov may yet be a good complimentary piece for another team and I don't think the Hawks will have a hard time getting assets back for him if they don't dangle him to Seattle to protect their young forwards.
The Hawks are in a bit of a quandary with Zadorov.

They either lose him for nothing or risk having to overpay to keep him because his replacement has been taken by Seattle.

Or, Bowman has a backup plan if Stillman gets taken in the ED.

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Wow that was fast.

I like it, he didn't really show worse than Zadorov or de Haan. Brings the same kind of elements but much cheaper, a direct replacement. If he ever figures out some more offense it's a big steal.

Nice job by Stan, we have our tough guy without paying much for it.

Reactions: Brightwing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
The Hawks are in a bit of a quandry with Zadorov.

They either lose him for nothing or risk having to overpay to keep him because his replacement has been taken by Seattle.

Or, Bowman has a backup plan if Stillman gets taken in the ED.

Hawks are not in the business of overpaying guys right now. It's one thing when you're trying to keep a championship group together but they're in rebuild mode. Are fans going to cry about the Panarin trade tree? Sure, but they're not particularly attached to Zadorov. But I don't think Stan is the type of GM who over commits to guys because of what he paid for them in a trade.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Z is frustrating because for half the year he played like a solid middle-pairing player. Then he struggled in the last ten games. I hope they resign him for a 1-2 two year contract for cheap cause I agree with most and dont want to commit to the potential bad version of Z.

Stillman is an ok 6-7 D imo but if they are resigning him to take Z’s spot as a 3-4-5 D we are in trouble next year..

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Z is frustrating because for half the year he played like a solid middle-pairing player. Then he struggled in the last ten games. I hope they resign him for a 1-2 two year contract for cheap cause I agree with most and dont want to commit to the potential bad version of Z.

Stillman is an ok 6-7 D imo but if they are resigning him to take Z’s spot as a 3-4-5 D we are in trouble next year..

But that's the thing with qualifying offers, you can't re-sign them cheap because if you don't extend a QO, they walk to free agency. There are cases where a team doesn't qualify a player and they sign with them regardless, Subban is a recent example, but I don't think that would be the case for Zadorov given the tendency in this league to overpay dmen.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Overpayment for a guy who has done very little to justify security of NHL job

giphy.gif

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Spot on. I had higher hopes for Big Z (legit 2nd pairing), but the sample size is large enough to conclude he won't be worth his next contract.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Imagine in two yrs and Stillman has grown into a great Hjalmarsson Murphy type dman and he's only costing $1.3 million! Wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad