Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i like this kid's size and strength. sounds like he just needs some confidence to get his offensive game going.

i heard some compare his style and game with Bolland. i'd gladly take that.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Helm is out, and defensemen hardly showcase speed unless they're going from end to end

I'll give you Nyquist, but the rest...

Datsyuk isn't a burner, but he makes up for it with his defense and stick handling
Alfredsson has good wheels for a 41 year old, but certainly is not a burner.
Bertuzzi - Slow
Franzen (out) - Slow
Andersson - Slow
Miller - Average
Glendening - Average
Cleary - Slow
Jurco - Not sure yet, looked pretty quick
Sheahan - Average/slow
Samuelsson - Slow

It matters when you're playing dump and chase... But getting beat to most pucks and losing battles. They're icing what they can with injuries, but you can't possibly think this team is quicker than even 1/3 of the league. It shows on most nights.

Back in the 2004 allstar game datsyuk was in the fastest skater competition and had a fairly good time. He's not that fast anymore but still above average getup in the league.
Jurco is deceptively fast. He catches people by surprise because he doesn't look like he's making a huge effort to move his feet like someone like helm or draper, but when you look at how much ice he covers you're surprised. Plus he's one of the rare kinds of players that's faster with the puck on his stick.
Sheahan is slightly above average when he hustles.
Alfredson isn't as fast as he was 5 years ago but makes up for it with smart play.
Franzen, when he feels like it, has above average wheels. Look at how he played when he was a 3rd line pker.

The rest of the players on your list can go kick rocks after this season as far as I'm concerned. Andersson has value as a trade chip, but the rest are just warm bodies that don't make any impact any more.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
i like this kid's size and strength. sounds like he just needs some confidence to get his offensive game going.

i heard some compare his style and game with Bolland. i'd gladly take that.

Who did you hear that from? Sheahan is soft and he will always be in Babcock's doghouse because he does not use his size at all. Sheahan is soft, all you need to do is take a look at his career and his play in Grand Rapids to give you a feel of what type of player he'll be.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Who did you hear that from? Sheahan is soft and he will always be in Babcock's doghouse because he does not use his size at all. Sheahan is soft, all you need to do is take a look at his career and his play in Grand Rapids to give you a feel of what type of player he'll be.
Babcock will be fine with Sheahan because Sheahan plays solid defense.

Besides, I think Babcock has a soft spot for big Canadian kids. We're going to see this with Mantha too.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia

He threw some checks in the last couple of games, I hope he can continue with his play. It has been good.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Babcock will be fine with Sheahan because Sheahan plays solid defense.

Besides, I think Babcock has a soft spot for big Canadian kids. We're going to see this with Mantha too.

Disagree. I think Mantha is in the doghouse a lot coming up. Mantha just screams Babcock's doghouse.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sheahan has looked a lot better than I thought he would in the NHL. Maybe with more organized players hes better which definitely happens with some players or it could be just adrenaline. I find hes using his body more in the NHL as well

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

This goes for both Sheahan and Mantha, but just because they're not physical now, doesn't mean they never will be.

Look at Kindl and Ericsson a few years back. The knock was they were big guys that never used their size. But they "learned" playing under Babcock how to be more physical and use their body to their advantage. Both guys now are a lot more physical than when they were.

So maybe as they mature/develop they will learn to play a little more physical.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Disagree. I think Mantha is in the doghouse a lot coming up. Mantha just screams Babcock's doghouse.

Yeah, I've only seen bits and pieces of Mantha play, but if what is said about him is true, he does seem like a good dog house candidate for Babcock. Then again, if he produces, if he can have Mule-like offensive value, then he'll probably avoid the dog house altogether.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
This goes for both Sheahan and Mantha, but just because they're not physical now, doesn't mean they never will be.

Look at Kindl and Ericsson a few years back. The knock was they were big guys that never used their size. But they "learned" playing under Babcock how to be more physical and use their body to their advantage. Both guys now are a lot more physical than when they were.

So maybe as they mature/develop they will learn to play a little more physical.

But if you're soft as a player, you will never bring that physical play consistently. Just look at guys like Kindl and Franzen, both bigger players but nothing consistent. If Franzen was not scoring he'd be useless and scratched because he brings nothing else. Kindl is scratched because he is not being physical like he was at times last year. So my point is that either you are a physical player who likes the gritty play or you don't. It's nothing that can be taught, it's either a part of your game or not. And I can guarantee you that Sheahan is not a physical player, he's soft and will always be. He may have games where he plays the body and hits but that's not how he's wired so soon enough he will revert back to the Sheahan we all know and will end up in Babcock's doghouse.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Sheahan may not be "physical" in a Clutterbuck or Neil type of way, but I'll be damned if he didn't win nearly every board battle he was in recently. I'd forgotten that strength and size is actually does make a difference along the boards considering the ineptitude Franzen and Bertuzzi repeatedly display in that area.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Hasn't looked soft in his callup so far this year.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I'm not convinced that Babcock will ever coach Mantha.

He's only got one more year left on his deal from what I remember and I think his message has been wearing thin on the team for a while.

I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to not re-sign with the team or if management decides to go another way.

NyquistIsMyGod*

He's only got one more year left on his deal from what I remember and I think his message has been wearing thin on the team for a while.

I wouldn't be shocked if he decides to not re-sign with the team or if management decides to go another way.

I could see him going to coach in college for a couple of years but I doubt Kenny lets him go. Babs is a big part of a lot of the signings and I'm convinced he has some sort of GM role that's not on paper. They discuss a lot together. On the same page. Babs is a wonderful coach. Some of you guys hate on him too much. He's changed styles, and done some wodnerful things.

I don't see Anthony Mantha up for a bit though. I think he's raw. I think he gets out-worked in training camp, outplayed, etc. Mantha needs to put on some more weight. I think he's 195 lbs and 6'4. Also pretty sure he was listed a 6'3.5 and is now at 6'4 so he's still growing too which is a bit shocking.

I think overgriping Mantha has some cons, but some real pros.

Anchor Town*

I don't see Anthony Mantha up for a bit though. I think he's raw. I think he gets out-worked in training camp, outplayed, etc. Mantha needs to put on some more weight. I think he's 195 lbs and 6'4. Also pretty sure he was listed a 6'3.5 and is now at 6'4 so he's still growing too which is a bit shocking.

I think overgriping Mantha has some cons, but some real pros.

He's 6'5" 210 FWIW, you must have been looking at some older figures

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

He's an amazing coach, but I wouldn't mind if he left at all. I'd like the Wings to hire Blash before some other team scoops him up. Just believe a change is needed and Blash would transition well into the organization with the youth infusion. His message has worn thin with some players I imagine. I don't see management wanting to let him go and could see an extension easily. Mantha has a ways to go. Highly doubt Mantha will be with the big club anytime soon.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hopefully he can provide a boost to the team. Hes playing really well lately. Doesnt look like a scorer but a big, shut down third line centerman that can chip in. I think he can be a bottom 6 anchor which is a pretty valuable player

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1 h
Per Ken Holland, #RedWings have called up Riley Sheahan. Need a center.

Did someone get injured during the last game?
From what I remember, it was Z - Abs - Andersson - Glendening right?
Or Babcock didn't like Abs playing center?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Did someone get injured during the last game?
From what I remember, it was Z - Abs - Andersson - Glendening right?
Or Babcock didn't like Abs playing center?

Babs wants Abs on wing he said somewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad