Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Why not? We have seen those lines already in different games, made by Babcock.

For what, a few shifts?

He'll keep the top line in tact but he doesn't keep Tatar and Nyquist together for long. Even when they were great together with Franzen for a few shifts he'd only throw then out there occasionally. Instead he'll probably keep Bertuzzi as the 2nd line "net front presence" or whatever the blank that means.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
For what, a few shifts?

He'll keep the top line in tact but he doesn't keep Tatar and Nyquist together for long. Even when they were great together with Franzen for a few shifts he'd only throw then out there occasionally. Instead he'll probably keep Bertuzzi as the 2nd line "net front presence" or whatever the blank that means.

I'd like to know how many goals have resulted from the "net front" player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd like to know how many goals have resulted from the "net front" player.

More than you think and that is because we are a pretty poor transition team so that factors into it as well. In the current NHL it is pretty hard to beat the goalie with out net-drive or a net-front presence. Babcock can be an absolute slave to this concept though, but net-front presence is very important. It just should not be the be all end all.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Could you please state why?
I didn't have chance to watch any AHL game. So my opinion is purely based on reading material I find online.

Ferraro has been hot lately but hes been playing more wing anyways. Ferraros speed and grit makes me like more than Sheahan personally. He plays bigger than he is

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'd like to see the Wings maybe try Tatar at center for a game or two. He'll have a lot to learn but he might be a better option than putting Andersson in the top 6. Tats has been winning those draws on the PP, worth a shot imo....don't have much to lose at this point.

Jurco-Pav-Alfie
Nyquist-Tatar-Bertuzzi
Miller-Sheahan-Eaves
Glendening-Andy-cleary

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It would be great if this team wasn't as slow as molasses. Tatar and Eaves? That's about it.

Nyquist is faster than both those guys.

How about Kronwall? Helm? Dekeyser? Smith?

We have some skaters dude.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Nyquist is faster than both those guys.

How about Kronwall? Helm? Dekeyser? Smith?

We have some skaters dude.

Helm is out, and defensemen hardly showcase speed unless they're going from end to end

I'll give you Nyquist, but the rest...

Datsyuk isn't a burner, but he makes up for it with his defense and stick handling
Alfredsson has good wheels for a 41 year old, but certainly is not a burner.
Bertuzzi - Slow
Franzen (out) - Slow
Andersson - Slow
Miller - Average
Glendening - Average
Cleary - Slow
Jurco - Not sure yet, looked pretty quick
Sheahan - Average/slow
Samuelsson - Slow

It matters when you're playing dump and chase... But getting beat to most pucks and losing battles. They're icing what they can with injuries, but you can't possibly think this team is quicker than even 1/3 of the league. It shows on most nights.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Helm is out, and defensemen hardly showcase speed unless they're going from end to end

Datsyuk isn't a burner, but he makes up for it with his defense and stick handling
Bertuzzi - Slow
Franzen (out) - Slow
Andersson - Slow
Miller - Average
Glendening - Average
Cleary - Slow
Sheahan - Average/slow
Samuelsson - Slow

It matters when you're playing dump and chase... But getting beat to most pucks and losing battles. They're icing what they can with injuries, but you can't possibly think this team is quicker than even 1/3 of the league. It shows on most nights.

Okay fair enough.

We have some guys that can skate. Problem is the slow guys we have are REAL SLOW.

Cleary, Bert, Andersson. Guys are legit snails.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Bertuzzi - Slow
Franzen (out) - Slow
Andersson - Slow
Miller - Average
Glendening - Average
Cleary - Slow
Sheahan - Average/slow
Samuelsson - Slow

Sheahan isn't slow, when factoring in his size he is actually quite fast. I would say both Sheahan and Ferraro are better skaters than Tatar for instance a guy you listed as fast.

Sheahan's bigger problem is that he doesn't engage physically all the time when he is out there humming around. He doesn't have to take the body all the time but he should take it more and he would be a pretty big hitter because of his speed and size if he made that choice.

Jurco's biggest gains since turning pro have been in skating, so yeah I think at this point he is above average, for a chunk of last season early Sheahan and Jurco were linemates and Sheahan was worlds faster, Jurco has really put in a lot of work there.

Everyone loves the Andersson chemistry, but for a part of the lockout last year after his arrest and when Andersson was down to injury they put Sheahan with Nyquist and Tatar which really in a lot of ways was a much tougher ask on the opposition and worked well together. Because he can actually play at their pace, it made them lethal in transition.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
Ferraro has been hot lately but hes been playing more wing anyways. Ferraros speed and grit makes me like more than Sheahan personally. He plays bigger than he is

I agree. I want to see him get a shot because I think he could excel or show us pretty quickly he has no business on the big club.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'd like to see the Wings maybe try Tatar at center for a game or two. He'll have a lot to learn but he might be a better option than putting Andersson in the top 6. Tats has been winning those draws on the PP, worth a shot imo....don't have much to lose at this point.

Jurco-Pav-Alfie
Nyquist-Tatar-Bertuzzi
Miller-Sheahan-Eaves
Glendening-Andy-cleary

Playing center is much more than winning draws, especially given what Babcock expects in the defensive zone. I think Gus might be able to pull it off, but I don't see NHL center in Tats.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everyone loves the Andersson chemistry, but for a part of the lockout last year after his arrest and when Andersson was down to injury they put Sheahan with Nyquist and Tatar which really in a lot of ways was a much tougher ask on the opposition and worked well together. Because he can actually play at their pace, it made them lethal in transition.

Would mind these either:

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Alfie, 6'3 - 5'11 - 5'11
Jurco - Sheahan - Nyquist, 6'2 - 6'2 - 5'11
Miller - Andersson - Tatar, 6'2 - 6'2 - 5'10

Then there would those working chemitries in each TOP9 line. Bert with Pavel, Jurco with Sheahan, and Andersson with Tatar. There would nice mix of size in each line.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Playing center is much more than winning draws, especially given what Babcock expects in the defensive zone. I think Gus might be able to pull it off, but I don't see NHL center in Tats.

Yeah I realize that...why I said he'll have a lot to learn...but lets not kid ourselves he's a professional hockey player, not like he's completely oblivious as to how to play center.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I really wish it was Landon Ferraro, I think he should have gotten his shot finally. Hoping Sheahan shows us something tomorrow.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Agreed. I was thinking that there was a possibility of Nyquist moving to the middle position but would have to play with a defensive forward. Like,

Miller-Nyquist-Alfredsson
Jurco-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Andersson-Eaves
Cleary-Glendening-Sheahan

Bertuzzi - Slow
Franzen (out) - Slow
Andersson - Slow
Miller - Average
Glendening - Average
Cleary - Slow
Sheahan - Average/slow
Samuelsson - Slow

Johan Franzen is extremely fast when he's actually skating. Sadly, this rarely happens. When hes out, and when he's backchecking, he's honestly a horse.

As for Tatar's skating. I think you're overrating it.

Detroit Sports*

how many 24/7 episodes will their be? and when is the next 1?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Bah, didn't see this thread.

Just posted in Nyquist injury thread that Ferraro was the best possible call up IMO.
Disappointing... with No Helm and Nyquist we need speed from somewhere!

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
this is a big game tonight for sheahan. he's essentially getting bumped up to second line duties, playing with a HOF right winger. i'd expect him to get PP and PK duties again as well.

another solid effort should get him past glendening on the depth chart. i could also see him passing being wavier exempt will make it hard to stick when everyone is healthy, but if he makes a good enough impression he could be in the mix for fourth line center duties in the playoffs. seems like babs prefers him over anderson just by looking at the lines and last games icetime. i thought he looked great on saturday, really hoping he comes through with a big game tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad