Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 3 min
Riley Sheahan gets the call-up for the Wings.

The Detroit Red Wings today recalled center Riley Sheahan from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

A native of St. Catherines, Ontario, Sheahan has skated in 23 games with the Griffins this season, recording 14 points (6-8-14) and 10 penalty minutes. He helped the Griffins to a Calder Cup in 2012-13, recording 36 points (16-20-36) in 72 regular-season games and tying for the AHL rookie lead in the playoffs with 16 points (3-13-16) in 24 games. Sheahan has also appeared in two career games with the Red Wings, recording four penalty minutes.

The 22-year-old forward was originally drafted by Detroit in the first round (21st overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He spent three seasons at the University of Notre Dame, registering 64 points (20-44-64) and 74 penalty minutes from 2009-12.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...sheahan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

nothing more official but he doesn't seem to be on griffins roster anymore at ahl page

Detroit Sports*

Hopefully we can win tomorrow and these kids play good.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
so tomorrow we'll have Datsyuk - Andersson - Glendening - Sheahan down the middle? yuck.. here's to hoping for a 1-0 win. At least we'll probably see our young guys get really tough minutes.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Tread water, steal points while we wait for people to get healthy. That should be the goal for the next couple weeks.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Hmmm so

Datsyuk
Andersson
Glendening
Sheahan

Is there more offensively oriented center in GR?
Seems like too many defensive centers. (From what I have read Sheahan is better suited for bottom 6 than top 6)

EDIT: just looked at the GR stats
Emmerton has the most points as a Center, than Sheahan and Ferraro are tied.
Who plays on top 6 in GR? Sheahan or Ferraro?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmmm so

Datsyuk
Andersson
Glendening
Sheahan

Is there more offensively oriented center in GR?
Seems like too many defensive centers. (From what I have read Sheahan is better suited for bottom 6 than top 6)

EDIT: just looked at the GR stats
Emmerton has the most points as a Center, than Sheahan and Ferraro are tied.
Who plays in top 6 in GR? Sheahan or Ferraro?

Järnkrok and Emmerton have been mostly centering at TOP6.

Andersson was the 1st line center at Griffins Championship team. I have no problem seeing him at TOP6, if he has two skilled and speedy wingers like Nyquist and Tatar. That works well.

Jurco - Datsyuk - Alfredsson
Tatar - Andersson - Nyquist
Miller - Sheahan - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Glendening - Sammy/Eaves

Last edited:

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Ahh I see. Järnkrok still got time where as other two guys are running out of option. Make sense to bring up one of them.

It sucks that Emmerton + Tootoo +Eaves are taking time away from kids. (not their fault. It's Holland's fault)

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Andersson was the 1st line center at Griffins Championship team. I have no problem seeing him at TOP6, if he has two skilled and speedy wingers like Nyquist and Tatar. That works well.

Not that you are wrong but I think most of the centers in NHL would work well with those two.

Andersson does have chemistry with those two so I have to give him that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ahh I see. Järnkrok still got time where as other two guys are running out of option. Make sense to bring up one of them.

It sucks that Emmerton + Tootoo +Eaves are taking time away from kids. (not their fault. It's Holland's fault)

They are not taking away time from kids. They are just replacing another AHL-veteran down there.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Good. Andersson as 2nd line center makes me sick though. Would have preferred Iron Hook.

I doubt that his name was even mentioned. With Sheahan and Ferraro running out of option next year, might as well test one of them.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Team needs to move Tatar up, and just load the top six. Bottom six, absolutely no scoring.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Team needs to move Tatar up, and just load the top six. Bottom six, absolutely no scoring.

Yeah I agree. Attempting to spread the wealth when their hardly is any wealth is not working. All it's doing is diluting the product. Load up the top 6 (even the top line if needed), hope you can pot a couple and hope that your bottom 6 can play even.

I like Hennka's top 6 with:

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfie
Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

But let's face it, that's not in Babcock's DNA. It'd be pleasantly surprised if we got to see that top 6.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Could you please state why?
I didn't have chance to watch any AHL game. So my opinion is purely based on reading material I find online.

Well one of these at least clears up your previous statement. The Kids aren't losing playing time to these guys. They roll lines down in GR, they also do play three scoring lines which is nice. But the vets have to rotate in and out of the lineup for each other and the kids down there still have important roles.

I think Sheahan makes sense over Ferraro for Babcock's big boy quota, you could probably go with either one, but he lost Franzen and Gator, so he wants the bigger guys. At least that would be my guess, while you would consider both their numbers to be down a little bit on most nights they are playing together and given the biggest possible checking assignment on the other teams, so that is good for their development, especially for where they are heading next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good. Andersson as 2nd line center makes me sick though. Would have preferred Iron Hook.

I hear you from a skill perspective.

But I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jarnkrok got manhandled as a top 6 center in the NHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad