Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Aren't Callahan and Ferraro out of options too? I wanna see what they can do.

next year yes.

which makes it little surprising that ferraro hasn't been called up, as has been discussed. if kenny would believe in trades, he would seem like an odd man out. i hope not though, he won't be the scorer he was projected to be but there's almost definitely nhler though he likely tops out as very speedy bottom 6er who is good to very good on pk. who can piss the opponents off well.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
It's still early, but it looks like we might have a winner. He's already got as many points as Weiss in half as many games (and at half as much money!).

The one I really don't get at this point is Glendening. From what I've seen, he's not even good at faceoffs; that's already a cardinal sin for a good center, let alone one that does literally nothing else aside from exist.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It's still early, but it looks like we might have a winner. He's already got as many points as Weiss in half as many games (and at half as much money!).

The one I really don't get at this point is Glendening. From what I've seen, he's not even good at faceoffs; that's already a cardinal sin for a good center, let alone one that does literally nothing else aside from exist.

Sheahan's cap hit is 16% of what Weiss' is. :laugh:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
next year yes.

which makes it little surprising that ferraro hasn't been called up, as has been discussed. if kenny would believe in trades, he would seem like an odd man out. i hope not though, he won't be the scorer he was projected to be but there's almost definitely nhler though he likely tops out as very speedy bottom 6er who is good to very good on pk. who can piss the opponents off well.

Its quite possible that Ken Holland might not have the slightest idea what to do with the amount of young talent (read: capable 4th liners/7th defenseman or better) the Wings have had stockpiled in Grand Rapids the past couple years because its never really happened before. He had a hard enough time fitting Nyquist and Tatar into the lineup. Now we've got 3-4 guys out of waiver options next year and another 3-4 who could be getting regular minutes on a rebuilding NHL roster.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Even without Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary, next year's roster will be a bit of a log jam.

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Andersson-Weiss
Miller; Ferraro; Callahan

Hopefully Weiss rebounds strongly after surgery, it'd make us a better team and permit more flexibility.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Its quite possible that Ken Holland might not have the slightest idea what to do with the amount of young talent (read: capable 4th liners/7th defenseman or better) the Wings have had stockpiled in Grand Rapids the past couple years because its never really happened before. He had a hard enough time fitting Nyquist and Tatar into the lineup. Now we've got 3-4 guys out of waiver options next year and another 3-4 who could be getting regular minutes on a rebuilding NHL roster.

Think a second. Which one is easier, trade a package of prospects/picks for quality, or try to trade washed up veterans?

It has nothing to do with that does Ken Holland have idea or not. Other teams are interested in young talent.

And as long as we stay at the playoff hunt, we aren't selling our veterans either.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
right now i prefer sheahan over helm as he is actually capable of playing games in the NHL which is the most important part of being in the NHL, the actual playing..

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Think a second. Which one is easier, trade a package of prospects/picks for quality, or try to trade washed up veterans?

It has nothing to do with that does Ken Holland have idea or not. Other teams are interested in young talent.

And as long as we stay at the playoff hunt, we aren't selling our veterans either.

Nothing in this post is relevant to my post. I'm not talking about playoffs or trading vets. If anything, my point is that we've held on to too many youngsters who are now either getting minimal minutes, injury minutes, are out of waiver options, or aren't out of waiver options but look like NHL players. In other words, we've had so many prospects pan out that now our farm is flooded with kids who are hitting NHL-capability levels at the same time. And Holland has allowed this to happen because he's never before been in a situation where so many of our youngsters are NHL ready at the same time.

Its certainly not a bad thing, and its not a knock on Holland either. But this is uncharted territory for him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Even without Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Cleary, next year's roster will be a bit of a log jam.

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Helm-Sheahan

Hopefully Weiss rebounds strongly after surgery, it'd make us a better team and permit more flexibility.
I lilke the idea of Sheahan on the wing...

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012

Jurco-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Tatar-Helm-Sheahan

send jurco down and you are likely within the roster limit (allowing for 7 defensemen). i like this roster, but i doubt cleary doesn't get resigned.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Nothing in this post is relevant to my post. I'm not talking about playoffs or trading vets. If anything, my point is that we've held on to too many youngsters who are now either getting minimal minutes, injury minutes, are out of waiver options, or aren't out of waiver options but look like NHL players. In other words, we've had so many prospects pan out that now our farm is flooded with kids who are hitting NHL-capability levels at the same time. And Holland has allowed this to happen because he's never before been in a situation where so many of our youngsters are NHL ready at the same time.

Its certainly not a bad thing, and its not a knock on Holland either. But this is uncharted territory for him.

I agree completely. the odds of so many prospects panning out just aren't good, and yet here we are.
5 years ago we were in the opposite situation. it seemed like the only players getting to the NHL were bottom sixers and there wasn't many of them at that. so Holland got used to picking up castoffs (Miller, Eaves) and grabbing Vets to stay competitive. and it worked.
then we have 3 back to back great drafts (09,10,11) that all look to bring at least 3 quality players to the NHL. for a GM who has Won championships on the strength of vets, its just new to him.
and I honestly believe if we can scrap our way into the playoffs our team is only going to get better over the next 3-7 years as these kids grow into there primes. and will be seriously contending for a cup within 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad