Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan!

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
We've also already seen Tatar this year, give Sheahan a chance.

"We’re not holding tryouts. We’re trying to make the playoffs."

I'm excited to see Sheahan play, but I don't know if calling up a grinding forward who has little familiarity with the team or its system when you're in a dograce for the playoffs and are without your 2nd best scorer is the best idea. And certainly not one Babcock would've made if Sheahan were under 6 feet tall.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm excited to see Sheahan play, but I don't know if calling up a grinding forward who has little familiarity with the team or its system when you're in a dograce for the playoffs and are without your 2nd best scorer is the best idea. And certainly not one Babcock would've made if Sheahan were under 6 feet tall.

I don't see how Tatar or Sheahan will be the difference in one game vs. the Blues. Besides, it's not like if Tatar got called up he'd be slotted on the 1st line.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't see how Tatar or Sheahan will be the difference in one game vs. the Blues. Besides, it's not like if Tatar got called up he'd be slotted on the 1st line.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. If Abdelkader were the one being replaced, it certainly wouldn't. But Tatar is the logical choice for all the reasons I just listed. Babcock's obsession with size strikes again.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
if Z is healthy, sheahan has to go down. the wings cannot recall anyone anymore unless it's an emergency call up AFAIK. kenny said that around the deadline.

The only way they can call somebody up is on an emergency basis. So, although its exciting to get him up here, it actually sucks because it means Zetterberg might not play. We need Hank bad for Sunday.

Huh? I thought they said the rosterlimit is no more since the trade deadline?

RedWingsNow*

Not with coach Clueless making the calls

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

One guy has a coaching job and is highly regarded as one of the best coaches in the NHL. Another guy who hasn't held an NHL coaching job in his life has the gall to sit on his behind ranting and blogging about how bad the former is at his job.

Criticizing is fine, but it takes a special kind of bold to resort to name calling. I'm not talking about the flattering kind of bold either.

Coach "clueless" played Tatar, and when Tatar earned playing time, playing time was given. He got playing time until they wanted to bring up Nyquist. And Nyquist has gotten playing time. He's on the 2nd line now. And if Sheahan plays and earns a spot, he'll get it too. Oh wait... You're saying he's clueless because Tatar won't be on the first line? We've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Brunner, Franzen, and whatever big body that Datsyuk wants playing beside him. Oh wait, you know better than what Datsyuk wants, I guess?

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Okay! We suck. Everything sucks.

Can we at least enjoy the call-up?

I don't watch GR, but I've read a lot about Riley and remember his little stint last year.

What are you guys expecting? If he gets minutes on a top line? On a bottom 6 line? Or on special teams?

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan

I don't watch GR, but I've read a lot about Riley and remember his little stint last year.

What are you guys expecting? If he gets minutes on a top line? On a bottom 6 line? Or on special teams?

he is NHL strong on D. he has good offensive instincts and plays physical. his speed is good for someone his size could be called an advantage. I expect 2nd PK unit, and around 11 minutes unless we take a lot of penalties.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Probably bottom 6, but I would really like to see him get some penalty killing time. I don't know who he's going to play in place for. He's a center, and it seems like Z will play. This is what I would do (somewhat realistically).

Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Franzen - Datsyuk - Cleary
Miller - Andersson - Sheahan
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Tootoo

Eaves and Brunner scratched. I wouldn't scratch Brunner, but at the moment he's probably the most likely choice.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Tinky Winky must be subbing for Z. That's no good. We really need to beat the Blues.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Probably bottom 6, but I would really like to see him get some penalty killing time. I don't know who he's going to play in place for. He's a center, and it seems like Z will play. This is what I would do (somewhat realistically).

Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Franzen - Datsyuk - Cleary
Miller - Andersson - Sheahan
Abdelkader - Emmerton - Tootoo

Eaves and Brunner scratched. I wouldn't scratch Brunner, but at the moment he's probably the most likely choice.

I thought Brunner was hurt.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I think there's a good shot he gets slotted onto a scoring line. If I had to guess I'd say he replaces Abdelkader. Abby is a guy with size but very little offensive skill.

Z-Pavs-Sheahan
Mule-Fil-Nyquist

That's a legit top 6 with a big body on each line.

HTT3*

Tatar has been in a slump in GR. Sheahan has been solid and plays all zones really well. The choice was easy for Holland to make... call up the guy who has earned it.

That said, if Wings need to pin their wins or losses on a prospect plugging in for one game, then they already lost.

RedWingsNow*

Hating on Babs? Explain yourself or give your head a shake.

What's to explain:

Heaton says
Besides, it's not like if Tatar got called up he'd be slotted on the 1st line.

I say:

In other words, our dumb coach won't play Tatar on Datsyuk's wing

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar has been in a slump in GR. Sheahan has been solid and plays all zones really well. The choice was easy for Holland to make... call up the guy who has earned it.

That said, if Wings need to pin their wins or losses on a prospect plugging in for one game, then they already lost.

No one earns it.

You wait your turn. That's all that can be said for the system.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think there's a good shot he gets slotted onto a scoring line. If I had to guess I'd say he replaces Abdelkader. Abby is a guy with size but very little offensive skill.

Z-Pavs-Sheahan
Mule-Fil-Nyquist

That's a legit top 6 with a big body on each line.

:laugh: What about Babcock makes you think this is going to happen?

I know you want to see it, but this doesn't scan with what Babs thinks at all about these lines.

I am right there with you as a big Sheahan guy, but I have a hard time seeing it play out this way right now. For better or worse, Datsyuk and Babcock like having Abdelkader on that wing. Mule is also centering Filppula when you do these lines, should be interesting to see how that goes when he isn't playing his favorite team in the Avs. But I hope Mule runs with this, we really need him to and it gives Nyquist a big chance in the top 6.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Do me a favor.

Go look up how many points Sheahan has in his past 15 games.

Then come back here and tell me who's "slumping."

If "slumping" means a player shouldn't be called up, but playing well in all zones IS a reason, then Ferraro should be the guy getting the call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad