Recalled/Assigned: Riley Sheahan!

HTT3*

Do me a favor.

Go look up how many points Sheahan has in his past 15 games.

Then come back here and tell me who's "slumping."

If "slumping" means a player shouldn't be called up, but playing well in all zones IS a reason, then Ferraro should be the guy getting the call.

I prefer watching actual games instead of being a stat analyse

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Maybe they just called him up because they wanted to see what he could do.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-for-Wings--but-they-re-happy-with-their-team

That's what I've been saying, he can fill the role of a top 6 forward, so why not bring him up and see what he can do. Hopefully he makes enough of an impression to stick around. If not he can go back down and understand he has to work harder to make it to the next level. He's exactly what Babs wants on one of the top lines and he was drafted to be a scoring line forward.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
i don't understand the whole sheahan thing. we are fighting for our lives to get into the playoffs, so now is not the time to see if kids are nhl-ready in the first place. moreover, calling a kid up, giving him 6 mins or whatever and then sending him straight down again just strikes me as weird and potentially detrimental to his development.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
i don't understand the whole sheahan thing. we are fighting for our lives to get into the playoffs, so now is not the time to see if kids are nhl-ready in the first place. moreover, calling a kid up, giving him 6 mins or whatever and then sending him straight down again just strikes me as weird and potentially detrimental to his development.

They brought him up as an emergency call up because they weren't sure if Z was going to be able to play. And even though Z played, since he was up Babcock supposedly wanted to take the opportunity to see him play a bit as it might be his only chance to do so before the playoffs.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

It was solely an injury call-up. Z was questionable at the time, but decided he was good to go. Sheahan was the best available center, and they let him play despite not needing him anymore. Small taste is better than nothing, gives him something to work toward.

edit: ah, obey beat me to it.

In hindsight, we needed some goals. Where you at Tatar?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but Sheahan didn't look 6'2'' 212 out there to me.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was solely an injury call-up. Z was questionable at the time, but decided he was good to go. Sheahan was the best available center, and they let him play despite not needing him anymore. Small taste is better than nothing, gives him something to work toward.

Yeah. Icetime is not the only thing when bringing these new guys up. It's the whole preparation process for etc. Getting experience of off-ice routines. You learn them first, that you don't have to learn both on-ice and off-ice at the same time, when you become a full-time roster guy. Our organization just knows these things better than anybody in here.

It's not a video game, where those youngersters develop more, when they get more icetime. Real life is different. They will get their big ice-time when they are ready for it.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yeah. Icetime is not the only thing when bringing these new guys up. It's the whole preparation process for etc. Getting experience of off-ice routines. You learn them first, that you don't have to learn both on-ice and off-ice at the same time, when you become a full-time roster guy. Our organization just knows these things better than anybody in here.

Everyone knows this. Query whether bringing over a guy for 24 hours so he can practice one time with a different team, play 6 minutes with a different team, and then send him packing afterward is really that beneficial.

A routine is, by definition, something you do regularly, repeatedly. You don't learn NHL routines by doing them once and then being sent back down to the AHL only to be called up again weeks, months, or years later.

This is the equivalent of "bring your child to work" day.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't know how anyone, watching it on TV, can see the difference when it only differs 2 inches and 20lbs....

I'm just saying, I thought he was a "big bodied" physical forward. He looks like all of our other shrimps out there.

crashman

I'm just saying, I thought he was a "big bodied" physical forward. He looks like all of our other shrimps out there.

Hate to break it to you guys, but the Red Wings aren't a team of "shrimps" any more. Maybe that's why it's so hard to notice a guy that's suppose to be bigger.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Hate to break it to you guys, but the Red Wings aren't a team of "shrimps" any more. Maybe that's why it's so hard to notice a guy that's suppose to be bigger.

Agreed, the only people that look small out there are Nyquist, Tootoo and white imo.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Oh wait... You're saying he's clueless because Tatar won't be on the first line? We've got Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Brunner, Franzen, and whatever big body that Datsyuk wants playing beside him. Oh wait, you know better than what Datsyuk wants, I guess?

I highly doubt Datsyuk has ever expressed his burning desire to have two scrubs on either side of him 24/7 to Babcock...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I highly doubt Datsyuk has ever expressed his burning desire to have two scrubs on either side of him 24/7 to Babcock...

By the same token, I have to think Datsyuk has some sort of input - if not to Babcock directly, then through one of the assistants, probably Renney. The whole linemate thing, and how it might affect Datsyuk's next contract, seems a bit overblown. For me, the argument with lines should be more around Babcock's inflexibility in general.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
I thought Sheahan looked good out there inthe few shifts he got ... he moves wellfor a good sized kid and didnt look out of place. Unless your brought up to score you better be physical. Hes a bit of a big softy in the regard. When Helmer and Abby were making the transition they came up and HIT ****ing everything that moved. Sheahan needs to learn to go kamikaze on finishing checks. The Drew Miller rub-outs are useless.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

We're still pretty damn shrimpy out there man. This was from opening day so the roster is a bit different now....Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, and Helm not playing. Andersson, Dekeyser, and Lashoff now on the roster, etc.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-nhl-teams-by-weight-height-and-age.html

According to this, we are 22nd in weight and 26th in height. Still fairly shrimpy compared to the rest of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad