Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I dunno how he will adapt to AHL pro game next season. He certainly needs to get stronger.
It remains to be seen but although he produced like a madman, i don't saw anything elite that would make him an offensive threat in the NHL. His next season in the AHL is very important.

I think Zach Dean is the best prospects in Gatineau.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 1909

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Saw him live yesterday. Was left unimpressed.
I could be wrong....but he,s the type of guy that I don't see him translating well in the NHL at all. personnally, I would hope that a team sees it differently and is impressed with the points so we could deal him in a big package.

Reactions: Vachon23 and 1909

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I could be wrong....but he,s the type of guy that I don't see him translating well in the NHL at all. personnally, I would hope that a team sees it differently and is impressed with the points so we could deal him in a big package.
100% agree with you. I think Zach Dean projects way better and seems like a way better player despite producing much less.

Jul 6, 2016
It remains to be seen but although he produced like a madman, i don't saw anything elite that would make him an offensive threat in the NHL. His next season in the AHL is very important.

I think Zach Dean is the best prospects in Gatineau.
Dean and Luneau are sure NHL players.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Kidney is a long term project but he's actually improving the parts of his game that he needs to be more successful as he goes up the ranks.

I hope people won't panic (they will), when he has a pedestrian offensive season in the AHL.

Kidney's case is as strange of a case I can remember on HF Habs. Going back to 2000 the only Habs prospects who have outproduced him in the Q are Sven Adrighetto & Joshua Roy. Yet he gets nowhere near the amount of hype as other prospects have had. With HF Habs propensity to overhype prospects it surprises me that a player with that production profile may be underrated around here.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kidney's case is as strange of a case I can remember on HF Habs. Going back to 2000 the only Habs prospects who have outproduced him in the Q are Sven Adrighetto & Joshua Roy. Yet he gets nowhere near the amount of hype as other prospects have had. With HF Habs propensity to overhype prospects it surprises me that a player with that production profile may be underrated around here.

A. Most scouts say his game won't translate to the NHL.
B. You just made the argument against looking at pionts: Andrighetto had more points than him and wasn't a good NHLer. So one has to look at more than points to get excited about him.

Personally, balancing the points with all the scouts saying his game won't translate, I'm excited to get him to Laval and see if he can prove all the doubters wrong. Let's see where he's at after 3 or 4 years of pro experience and work closely with the development team. He should be bigger and a better skater by then. Pez, RHP, and Ylonen are much better players now than they were 3 years ago.

We should have in Laval a real army of prospects that likely need 3 years in the AHL before they're NHL ready: Kidney, Roy, Mesar, Farrell, Simoneau, Rohrer, Struble, Trudeau, maybe Norlinder if he stays, Tourigny, Dobes, etc... I'm excited about that.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A. Most scouts say his game won't translate to the NHL.
B. You just made the argument against looking at pionts: Andrighetto had more points than him and wasn't a good NHLer. So one has to look at more than points to get excited about him.

Personally, balancing the points with all the scouts saying his game won't translate, I'm excited to get him to Laval and see if he can prove all the doubters wrong. Let's see where he's at after 3 or 4 years of pro experience and work closely with the development team. He should be bigger and a better skater by then. Pez, RHP, and Ylonen are much better players now than they were 3 years ago.

We should have in Laval a real army of prospects that likely need 3 years in the AHL before they're NHL ready: Kidney, Roy, Mesar, Farrell, Simoneau, Rohrer, Struble, Trudeau, maybe Norlinder if he stays, Tourigny, Dobes, etc... I'm excited about that.
Farrell does not have 3 years.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Kidney is a long term project but he's actually improving the parts of his game that he needs to be more successful as he goes up the ranks.

I hope people won't panic (they will), when he has a pedestrian offensive season in the AHL.
Good thing he can stay in the AHL for the next 3 years and no one will hold their breath. We have a lot of good prospects.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
In terms of likely trajectory, Kidney screams Corey Locke 2.0 to me (not playing style)

I thought about Locke too, also had potential Ben Maxwell/Duncan Milroy vibes in mind, which ain't better.

He could also be the next Mike Ribeiro too, who knows (imagine a mentally sane one)

Reactions: windycity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad