Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
We will see, he still have a lot to learn and it won’t hurt him starting in the ECHL
You can say that about 75% of their prospects

The kid still looks borderline pre-pubescent, give him lots of time and opportunity in Laval to grow and mature and maybe we'll have something in a few years. He certainly has the talent.
He’s actually not small. Met him twice golfing this year for more than a few mins. He’s wirey as hell and can absolutely bomb the ball lol not that that part matters

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Will he play wing this year in Laval? Center looks well stocked down there. Mesar I imagine be given amble ice time at center. Davidson is having a great camp. Mysak will be back.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
J-F Houle said the Kidney and Mesar needed a lot of icetime. Good indication that both won't play for Laval this year.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Kidney needs to play pro hockey.

Mesar needs to prove he can produce PPG+ in junior hockey.
Mesar does not need to put up PPG+ points in junior. He put up PPG last season. He needs to work on his deficiencies and improve overall. If Kitchener doesn't have the linemates and coaches to make that happen Hughes should tell Kitchener he only goes back if he is traded.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Mesar does not need to put up PPG+ points in junior. He put up PPG last season. He needs to work on his deficiencies and improve overall. If Kitchener doesn't have the linemates and coaches to make that happen Hughes should tell Kitchener he only goes back if he is traded.
He failed to put PPG last season and he's a 1st round pick.

He needs to prove he can produce substantially more than PPG and work on his deficiencies and improve overall as expected from a prospect of his pedigree.

He did not meet expectations last season for various reasons in and outside of his control, and he needs to prove it to himself and the organisation that he is capable of doing so.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I can't say Kidney stood out at all in pre-season. A few games I watched with him in the lineup I didn't even realize he was playing until I checked the NHL boxscore. I guess he was largely on the fourth line though. I don't think he was expected to make noise this year though so let's see how he handles himself in Laval.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He failed to put PPG last season and he's a 1st round pick.

He needs to prove he can produce substantially more than PPG and work on his deficiencies and improve overall as expected from a prospect of his pedigree.

He did not meet expectations last season for various reasons in and outside of his control, and he needs to prove it to himself and the organisation that he is capable of doing so.
He was one point away from PPG. Likely would have been well above that on a better team. Hughes needs to put him wherever he thinks he will have the best chance to improve.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He was one point away from PPG. Likely would have been well above that on a better team. Hughes needs to put him wherever he thinks he will have the best chance to improve.

But it didn't happen. That's the point. It needs to happen.

Hockey is about results not possibilities.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
But it didn't happen. That's the point. It needs to happen.

Hockey is about results not possibilities.

There were tons of plays where he should/could have got an assist if teammates finished wide open chances and to put any importance on falling 1 point shy of a ppg just doesn't make sense. If you were to replay the season over in a simulation 100 times there would be many where he would finish with considerably more than a ppg and that is just out of his control.

I do agree that he did not play as well as we had hoped and he should have produced more but he was a ppg player for all intents and purposes.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
MSL started his pro career at 22 in the IHL. Still playing long stints in AHL at 24-25. This after being a hobey baker finalist. Anything is possible. That’s one good thing about having MSL as a role model. You not only see hope, determination, intelligence, but just simply someone who didn’t let anything or anyone get in his way to success. I realize not everyone is born with that, and why development is important, but you can also make your own path. All this to say, Kidney playing in the echl is not a big deal and probably good for him. Poor guy will be getting ID’d at the liquor store his whole life.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He was pretty vanilla from what I saw in camp, but not everyone is suited to perform in camp situations. Some guys need more time to gel with a team and find their comfort zone. You could see he’s got great vision and wanted to do more, but like a lot of young guys, has to work on his speed and build some muscle to be an effective pro. He’s an interesting prospect and not one I think we should write off, but will need to make some serious adjustments on and off the ice to be an effective NHLer.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Will he play wing this year in Laval? Center looks well stocked down there. Mesar I imagine be given amble ice time at center. Davidson is having a great camp. Mysak will be back.
If they could find Swiss teams for both, I think
that is a good option. Less games, and less travel.
much better for working on getting stronger. And
Kidney improving skating, and Mesar his shot.
But I don't know if this exists. at this time of year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They will go through their camp and look at who will get minutes and opportunities in a role that is suited for their development.

If the OHL or ECHL is better for Mesar, he'll go there.
If Kidney has to start in the ECHL, he'll go there.

The whole point of TR was to have a multiple tiered development system.

There will be progression, injuries and call-ups.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was pretty vanilla from what I saw in camp, but not everyone is suited to perform in camp situations. Some guys need more time to gel with a team and find their comfort zone. You could see he’s got great vision and wanted to do more, but like a lot of young guys, has to work on his speed and build some muscle to be an effective pro. He’s an interesting prospect and not one I think we should write off, but will need to make some serious adjustments on and off the ice to be an effective NHLer.

It will be interesting to see if he can get stronger and faster over the next few years.

Jake Evan's was slow and skinny when he graduated from college. So he was two years older than Kidney is now. He then did 4 years in the AHL. And, by the time he was ready to graduate, he was actually fast in the NHL. It will be interesting to see how fast Kidney can get over the next 2 to 4 years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad