Prospect Info: Riley Kidney, LHC, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL ), 63rd overall

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I can see some similarities, both smart players who rely on their hockey sense. Roy does play a game that translates well in the pros. If he continues to put in the work, I can see him making it and becoming the player people thought he could become when he was selected 1st overall in the QMJHL draft.

Not saying that Roy will be more effective than Toffoli, but he has a better range of skillsets offensively. He's a better skater and has better vision as a playmaker. I recall Roy once saying that he models his game after John Tavares. That's another interesting comparison, as players who rely on their hockey smarts instead of speed.
yeah no idea how his game translates but I think he's more skilled than Toff personally.

I know his skating's a drawback but dude still is pretty damn skilled. Kid could be a helluva player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Riley Kidney finishes the season with 110 points including 82 assists in 60 games. I don't know his upside but as a fan I don't think he gets enough credit for having put together 2 excellent seasons to close out his junior career.
I think it's probably the skinniness and the skating. I heard his skating got better. For a guy who's like a B level prospect for us he's really intriguing.

I can't call this one. Would be awesome if he hits because he's super skilled and is good defensively. Hope he's a gym rat or becomes one.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it's probably the skinniness and the skating. I heard his skating got better. For a guy who's like a B level prospect for us he's really intriguing.

I can't call this one. Would be awesome if he hits because he's super skilled and is good defensively. Hope he's a gym rat or becomes one.

He is coming to spend the off-season in Montreal and train in Brossard. So I think he's definitely going to be taking things seriously.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018

I legit cant rank him when I think about our prospects haha. Sometimes he could be top 4. Sometimes I put him almost 10th but I dont even have a good reason. He cant by the love he deserves in my opinion. Hope he becomes a stud. But if he never plays I also get it LOL

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I legit cant rank him when I think about our prospects haha. Sometimes he could be top 4. Sometimes I put him almost 10th but I dont even have a good reason. He cant by the love he deserves in my opinion. Hope he becomes a stud. But if he never plays I also get it LOL
Same for me. It's not like he doesn't have real upside. I haven't seen enough myself to really say.

Reactions: DinosaurBones

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Props to Bergevin and Timmins (ewwww) for him. I'm pretty sure the reaction was lukewarm, or colder to him

yeah-ish. A few were pretty happy though. I think @WeThreeKings was high on him

he's got his weaknesses but when you produce like he has it's hard not to get a bit excited.

Most people in the first few pages are pretty happy/intrigued by the pick.

Most negative comments were about his skating, which was an area he needed to improve on.

ginomini

May 25, 2014

Most people in the first few pages are pretty happy/intrigued by the pick.

Most negative comments were about his skating, which was an area he needed to improve on.
I mean at the end of the second round, something’s gotta give. He would have been a first rounder if he was a great skater.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Thr total is impressive, but right now the team Gatineau is playing shoildnt play in the same league. Points as a % of the team's output may be kore interesting to follow in this case.

Reactions: Vachon23

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Thr total is impressive, but right now the team Gatineau is playing shoildnt play in the same league. Points as a % of the team's output may be kore interesting to follow in this case.

He’s been far and away the best point producer on the team since he’s joined it.

Reactions: montreal

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He’s been far and away the best point producer on the team since he’s joined it.
Yes i know, but not in the playoffs. When you see 7 pts in 2 games, it looks great, but when you see he got only 1 point in a 7-1 victory and then got 6 points in a game where they scored 9, all of a sudden it's more of a stat padding affair than dominating the opposition.

Reactions: montreal

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yes i know, but not in the playoffs. When you see 7 pts in 2 games, it looks great, but when you see he got only 1 point in a 7-1 victory and then got 6 points in a game where they scored 9, all of a sudden it's more of a stat padding affair than dominating the opposition.
The sample size is just too small to matter at 2 games though.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't know if you saw this yet, I posted it a little bit ago in the stickied prospect thread. I put together both playoff games for both Kidney and then Roy's 2 games. I didn't put in the empty net goal or secondary assists where Kidney didn't really do anything but got a point. I don't usually put vids together that way but wanted to try something different,

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The sample size is just too small to matter at 2 games though.
I agree. You are right of course. But the end of season in the CHL are to be taken with a grain of salt. After some teams load up for the playoffs, some really fall off a ton and there is just so much stat padding going on.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
ribeiro.jpg

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Kidney gives me Keller/Point vibes in that like them in junior, he's a half step too slow, a little small but if he can get a little faster, play more in the dirty areas and be a little more solid on his skates, he could become a really good player. He needs time to develop and get a little better but if he can do that, he's got a solid chance of becoming an everyday, productive NHLer.

Reactions: bopeep

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Saw both games, have to be honest, really didn't like his first one, trying to deke everyone on the ice etc.

Second game was way better
Well junior is a good place to work on your flashiness, because he won't be able to experiment in the NHL.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
If Kindney is a little small, what about Farrell? As much as I like Roy as a prospect, I think Kidney is undervalued in comparison. Roy is stronger and more mature physically. Even though he is 4.5 months older than Roy, I think Kidney is behind him in his physical maturity. As he will mature he will be able to do more. I think he is still far from his ceiling, lot of room to grow his game just by getting stronger and faster and most of it will come naturally as he will mature physically. Some players are grown men early, for others it takes more time. It's a genetic thing, nothing you can do about it except to be patient.

Kidney gives me Keller/Point vibes in that like them in junior, he's a half step too slow, a little small but if he can get a little faster, play more in the dirty areas and be a little more solid on his skates, he could become a really good player. He needs time to develop and get a little better but if he can do that, he's got a solid chance of becoming an everyday, productive NHLer.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad