Value of: Right handed defenseman to Pittsburgh

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Kevin Klein. He is now a step slower so prob 2nd pair at best.
not expiring but only next year after this.
2.9 m if I remember

We can't protect him due to NMCs on Staal, Girardi.

Willing to promote from within.
Yours for a 3rd.
I'd do this.

I'd do this from the Sens, and the pick is likely to be better. I'd even throw in a random C-level prospect to sweeten the pot a tiny bit.

Either way.... if the price is ~3rd then Pittsburgh should be all over this.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
What would LA likely request from the Pens for Alec Martinez?

we wouldn't Kings are a playoff team We are trying to win the cup just like the pens. The kings are looking for a top line young winger with proven goal scoring and a long term contract signed cheap. Something the pens don't have. Also Martinez scores to many important goals to be let go. He also plays the right side which the kings are short on rhd ( till LaDue is ready) to me he would be more expensive to get then muzzin

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If you aren't interested in Cody Franson, may I interest you in a lightly used Zach Bogosian? Provided we get a decent player back, we'll also eat a contract - shorter the better - to make it work financially.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you aren't interested in Cody Franson, may I interest you in a lightly used Zach Bogosian? Provided we get a decent player back, we'll also eat a contract - shorter the better - to make it work financially.

Bogo is someone I'd be interested in if the cap numbers worked out and the price was reasonable/manageable.

I haven't paid any attention to him in forever and can't remember how his skating/puck moving/handling is. From what I recall, it's nothing special, but neither is it an issue/liability. Seems like more of an older bigger version of what we're currently seeing from Maatta.

What sort of player would you be looking for in return? D? F? Prospects, etc?

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
To Pittsburgh:
Shattenkirk (4.25) + Allen (4.35) + Lehtera (4.7) + 2017 1st + 2018 2nd

To St. Louis
Fleury (5.75) + Malkin (9.5) + 500k of Malkin's salary retained for the remainder of the 16-17' season.

(I realize Pittsburgh would never trade Malkin for this...but this is my EA Sports NHL trade)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To Pittsburgh:
Shattenkirk (4.25) + Allen (4.35) + Lehtera (4.7) + 2017 1st + 2018 2nd

To St. Louis
Fleury (5.75) + Malkin (9.5) + 500k of Malkin's salary retained for the remainder of the 16-17' season.

(I realize Pittsburgh would never trade Malkin for this...but this is my EA Sports NHL trade)

:laugh: EA Sports, it's in the game.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Is he actually available in the eyes of the fans? I was under the impression Bogo was someone you wanted as a core part of the rebuild in Buffalo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you guys want huncwick, leafs will take a 4th or something for him.

TOR would probably have to retain some to ensure the salary works (PIT is almost certainly that tight to the cap). Not sure if that works for TOR or not as it could limit them on future deals this season (teams only get to retain salary on 3 contracts a season and TOR is using one of those slots on Kessel).

But something like that probably makes a lot more sense then going after a bigger fish.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Pens just need to find some guy who has been so awful that he's getting run out of town, pay a tiny price, and he'll somehow end up being good for them.

Daley, Schultz, XXXXX

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What would the Pens give to rent Shattenkirk? (Personally I would take a 1st, but I doubt our GM would. :shakehead )

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
TOR would probably have to retain some to ensure the salary works (PIT is almost certainly that tight to the cap). Not sure if that works for TOR or not as it could limit them on future deals this season (teams only get to retain salary on 3 contracts a season and TOR is using one of those slots on Kessel).

But something like that probably makes a lot more sense then going after a bigger fish.

we can retain for sure if you give us a 3rd :naughty:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What would the Pens give to rent Shattenkirk? (Personally I would take a 1st, but I doubt our GM would. :shakehead )

I'd offer Daley, Fleury and a pick/prospect for Shattenkirk and Allen and see if the Blues would bite on that. The salary is roughly even, the Blues get a replacement for Shattenkirk in Daley and an upgrade on Allen in Fleury and the Penguins get an upgrade on Daley in Shattenkirk and a replacement for Fleury in Allen. The Penguins would have to add a pick on top of that, but I'm not sure how valuable the prospect would be.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Honestly, there's not really much of a reason for us to target Shattenkirk. A good D, but once you remove his ability as a PPQB, suddenly there's probably better options that make more sense, who will have a similar (or similar enough) skill set (that we'd actually use) who will cost less simply because they're not PPQB's. I mean look at Stone. Not as dynamic, but can do most of what Shatty does minus the PPQB and won't cost as much (however likely still steeper then most would be comfortable with).

While a 2nd pairing RHD would be nice, we have Schultz who's been very good for us and both Daley and Cole can play RD. If we need someone for the PP (assuming that Letang isn't an option), then we still have Schultz and Daley.

Which means we have enough options that even getting a depth LD would be fine. Most do not see the point in acquiring someone who's a top 5D, as it's simply pushing Cole or someone else out of the lineup. And while we might be ultimately improving our D, I'm not sure that's enough of an upgrade to justify the cost (Cole has been very good for us).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Surprised no one posted this yet.
If JR's looking for something on LA, it's most certainly a D-Man.
Who played vs Tampa?
Also could've been watching Tampa too but i dunno what for there...

ETA: Just looked it up.
Drew
Muzzin
Martinez
Forbort
Gravel
Greene

Could maybe see interest in Andreoff possibly...

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The Pens just need to find some guy who has been so awful that he's getting run out of town, pay a tiny price, and he'll somehow end up being good for them.

Daley, Schultz, XXXXX

ANA offers you one shiny right handed Bieksa. Free. Gratis. <oh god please take him>

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd offer Daley, Fleury and a pick/prospect for Shattenkirk and Allen and see if the Blues would bite on that. The salary is roughly even, the Blues get a replacement for Shattenkirk in Daley and an upgrade on Allen in Fleury and the Penguins get an upgrade on Daley in Shattenkirk and a replacement for Fleury in Allen. The Penguins would have to add a pick on top of that, but I'm not sure how valuable the prospect would be.

Depending on the pick and how desperate they were to dump Allen. This wouldn't be the worst idea. Although, I'd expect Armstrong's regsination shortly after. Nothing like blowing your best asset to cover up a horrible extention.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Surprised no one posted this yet.
If JR's looking for something on LA, it's most certainly a D-Man.
Who played vs Tampa?
Also could've been watching Tampa too but i dunno what for there...

ETA: Just looked it up.
Drew
Muzzin
Martinez
Forbort
Gravel
Greene

Could maybe see interest in Andreoff possibly...

only thing la has that would be obtainable for pitts is greene 3rd and 5th would do it for me I don't see andy being available as hes still on a elc and playing well in his 14th forward role

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Daley, Schultz, XXXXX

Literally anyone who skates well

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd do this from the Sens, and the pick is likely to be better. I'd even throw in a random C-level prospect to sweeten the pot a tiny bit.

Either way.... if the price is ~3rd then Pittsburgh should be all over this.

Like I said earlier
if we get cap relief not taking back salary
think KK can be had for as little as a 3rd

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
we wouldn't Kings are a playoff team We are trying to win the cup just like the pens. The kings are looking for a top line young winger with proven goal scoring and a long term contract signed cheap. Something the pens don't have. Also Martinez scores to many important goals to be let go. He also plays the right side which the kings are short on rhd ( till LaDue is ready) to me he would be more expensive to get then muzzin

The Kings can barely make the playoffs in a weak division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad