Value of: Right handed defenseman to Pittsburgh

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Daley is the 1RD now that Letang is out and if any Pens fan has watched games this year... He hasn't looked good enough to be a top 4 defenseman. Dumolin is also out longer term so that's the Pens top 2D on IR. Maatta/Cole/Schultz are not reliable top pairing guys. Pittsburgh is in desperate need of a defenseman who doesn't carry a heavy cap hit.
A 1 year pending UFA rental wouldn't even be too bad if its someone who can elevate Pittsburgh defense

Available:
- picks

- all prospects minus Sprong (Pouliot, Guentzel, etc..)

- Kunitz, Fehr, Daley for cap relief

- Fleury?

Ideally someone like Tanev even though I'm not sure Pittsburgh has the assets to acquire him.
Shattenkirk would be a nice rental especially since STL needs help with the goalie situation. Except apparently his defensive play isnt top notch.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Is Pouliot really untouchable? You want a top 4, right-handed defenseman you have to pay the price. Pittsburgh's prospect pool seems pretty shallow, too.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
I'd be open to a rental.

But only if its a really cheap one and actually useful. (no Polak)

Dumo - Letang
Maatta - Daley
Cole - Schultz

is an extremely strong and deep d-corps, we have easily the best bottom 3 in the league.

But injuries have become a serious problem, and we have an army of undersized borderline 7D's, but no one actually useful for more than a game or two.

We can just put the kibosh on Tanev and Shattenkirk right now though. Don't need, don't wanna trade the assets for.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Daley is the 1RD now that Letang is out and if any Pens fan has watched games this year... He hasn't looked good enough to be a top 4 defenseman. Dumolin is also out longer term so that's the Pens top 2D on IR. Maatta/Cole/Schultz are not reliable top pairing guys. Pittsburgh is in desperate need of a defenseman who doesn't carry a heavy cap hit.
A 1 year pending UFA rental wouldn't even be too bad if its someone who can elevate Pittsburgh defense

Available:
- picks

- all prospects minus Sprong (Pouliot, Guentzel, etc..)

- Kunitz, Fehr, Daley for cap relief

- Fleury?

Ideally someone like Tanev even though I'm not sure Pittsburgh has the assets to acquire him.
Shattenkirk would be a nice rental especially since STL needs help with the goalie situation. Except apparently his defensive play isnt top notch.

Would rather go for a #2/#1 C for Shatty. Plus I really don't see the Blues paying 10mil on Fleury/Allen. And Y'all don't really have any Centers available.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Is Pouliot really untouchable? You want a top 4, right-handed defenseman you have to pay the price. Pittsburgh's prospect pool seems pretty shallow, too.

I think he means that all prospects are on the table except Sprong, and then cited our two best prospects as examples of who might be of interest.

That being said, Guentzel is definitely untouchable.

Pouliot is perfectly available however, especially for a top 4 dman

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

He only listed Sprong as untouchable, he included Pouliot as a prospect potentially available.

That said, if the Penguins trade Guentzel for a rental I'm going to be pissed. That'd be horrible asset management given that Guentzel is outright better than certain players above him on the depth chart who only remain there due to sentimental reasons.

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
He only listed Sprong as untouchable, he included Pouliot as a prospect potentially available.

That said, if the Penguins trade Guentzel for a rental I'm going to be pissed. That'd be horrible asset management given that Guentzel is outright better than certain players above him on the depth chart who only remain there due to sentimental reasons.

Yea wouldn't move Jake for a rental but someone like Tanev or one of Minnys defenseman

jmb412

Feb 20, 2016
Pittsburgh
Vatanen would be perfect in the Pens top 4. Obviously the asking price would be decent, but he'd be worth it.

With Daley leaving after this year, having a top 6 of

Dumo - Letang

Maatta - Vatanen

Cole - Schultz

That would be solid. Anyone but Sprong

Weber6

Shea Weber
Aug 7, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Vatanen would be perfect in the Pens top 4. Obviously the asking price would be decent, but he'd be worth it.

Dumo - Letang

Maatta - Vatanen

Cole - Schultz

I wonder if Anaheim wants Kunitz back :nod:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Dumo - Letang

Maatta - Vatanen

Cole - Schultz

I see...and who do we protect in that pesky expansion draft?

Is Matt Hunwick available?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kevin Klein. He is now a step slower so prob 2nd pair at best.
not expiring but only next year after this.
2.9 m if I remember

We can't protect him due to NMCs on Staal, Girardi.

Willing to promote from within.
Yours for a 3rd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins aren't going to trade Guentzel for a right handed defenseman, don't be ridiculous. The Penguins need a 3rd pair RD (Schultz is playing like a legit top-4 D this year) and for Maatta and Dumoulin to get their heads out of their *****. I'm certainly not going to pay a high price for that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

:laugh: God, no. If Pouliot could land us a proven top four blueliner, the Pens should be all over that deal.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Cody Franson has fixed his eye problem and is playing surprisingly solid. UFA. Can be had for cheap. Still slow as a turtle though.

*not a top four guy but better than nothing

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Would rather go for a #2/#1 C for Shatty. Plus I really don't see the Blues paying 10mil on Fleury/Allen. And Y'all don't really have any Centers available.

The Blues could add Allen to the deal with Shattenkirk, that way Pittsburgh can expose Allen and protect Murray. I don't think Pittsburgh would have the assets the Blues need though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ryan Murphy for Fluery?

You clear up your issue the expansion draft, we get a back up, and JR gets his draft pick back.

I would do this but I may want something small coming back from the Canes. Something like an upgrade of a draft pick. Something like MAF+3rd for Murph+2nd.

pls take Lovejoy back

If he was a UFA again, I'd be interested in taking him back for a later round pick.

I'd do this.

I don't like his game well enough to use an asset on. If it was something helped us out in other ways on top of that, sure. Like Kunitz for Klein, I'd listen harder.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Seidenberg is left handed but has played right with de Haan the whole season.
Can play top 4 mins and has a low cap hit of 1 mil.
For a second?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Ya, he's just scoring too much right now to not see what we have before even thinking about including him in any sort of move.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Devil on my shoulder wants to see the Penguins trade Pouliot for Lovejoy just so I can read the thread :laugh:

I feel like people would be less upset about that trade than the Despres trade.

Anyway, the only kind of trades that make sense are either Daley+ for a top-4 RD or minimal assets for a depth D. They probably won't trade serious assets for a guy like Klein or Seidenberg because it doesn't make sense to trade a 2nd round pick for a guy who'd be a #7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad