Value of: Right handed defenseman to Pittsburgh

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Kings probably have too many D guys right now. If you're looking for bottom pairing RHD there's Gilbert & Greene. Gilbert's more offensive and Greene is slower bigger. If you're looking for Top 4 LHD, Martinez might be a fit. Plays left and right side. There's always Muzzin too. Not sure about how Muzzin would be received in Pit. Probably no hard feelings at this point.

Obviously Martinez/Muzzin would be expensive and Giblert/Greene would be pretty cheap.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Kings probably have too many D guys right now. If you're looking for bottom pairing RHD there's Gilbert & Greene. Gilbert's more offensive and Greene is slower bigger. If you're looking for Top 4 LHD, Martinez might be a fit. Plays left and right side. There's always Muzzin too. Not sure about how Muzzin would be received in Pit. Probably no hard feelings at this point.

Obviously Martinez/Muzzin would be expensive and Giblert/Greene would be pretty cheap.

There was a tweet that said that the Penguins called LA and were interested in trading Fleury, so I could see a match here.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
... I don't like his game well enough to use an asset on. If it was something helped us out in other ways on top of that, sure. Like Kunitz for Klein, I'd listen harder.

3rd is cheap enough you eat the salary.
Only real benefit is cap relief
If NY has to kick in taking cap dump, the price goes up to 2nd/+ depending on the dump and salary particulars.

D is in short supply, prices are up.
Franson is better offensively, but worse defensively, and as someone else said "slower than a turtle".

Legit improvements will cost.
Suit yourself, and advise your decision.
There will be an open market on Klein shortly, IMO.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
There was a tweet that said that the Penguins called LA and were interested in trading Fleury, so I could see a match here.

The problem would be the 5.75M for 2 more years. Quick might be out for the season, but don't know how they'd make that cap work for the future.

The hope would be Vegas takes a goalie in the expansion draft, but if they don't the Kings have 12M in goalies for 2 years. :amazed:

Could send a cap dump back, but Pens won't be happy about that.

Fleury could happen, but it's going to require some creativity to make it work.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
STL says "hi" about the best bottom 3 in the league.

Parayko Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Shattenkirk
Gunnarsson Edmundson/Bortuzzo

Also, Shattenkirk's defensive liabilities is over-exaggerated. Blues fans like to call him out on his flaws to make us feel better about losing him, and since we're used to Hitchcockian systems that haven't utilized stretch passes or any non-super-safe plays on the break-out, when Shattenkirk tries to push the offense and makes the occasional mistake, fans get really upset. He tries to do to much to push our awful offense, and when it works it's amazing, and 15% it makes noticeable mistakes. We're spoiled with really good defensive defensemen, so he sticks out because he's not Pietrangelo on the break-out (the only one that can do what Shatty does with less errors).

Anyway, Blues would love to offer Shattenkirk, but the odds are that we're looking for win-now pieces, and Pittsburgh doesn't have enough to offer that would be available. If a miracle happens and Armstrong wants to see for futures, then there could be a deal around picks and prospects, perhaps.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

I'd seriously doubt the Kings would be interested in Fleury A) makes to much money to be a backup (even at half the money) B) there is more then one year on his contract ( kings backups make less then a million C) we need money to resign toffoli and Pearson so unless brown or gaborik is going with greene Makes zero sense for the kings to get Fluery

Greene for a 3rd and 5th

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Any Penguins fan that thinks we have the best bottom 3 in the league is completely over estimating our defense. We are playing two #4s in #2 and #3 positions in Daley and Maatta right now and we have Ian Cole who at best is a #5 and Justin Schultz who while playing pretty lights out offensively is still a huge defensive liability. Basically, we are going to have to have Letang play 27 - 30 minutes a game right now in the playoffs to win a cup and hope Dumo comes back not looking like he did at the beginning of the year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Erik Gudbranson for a 2017 2nd and 2018 3rd.

Gudbranson is an awful hockey player, easy pass.

The Penguins defense when healthy should be:

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Cole-Daley

The only trades that make sense are Daley+ for a pending UFA RD upgrade on Daley (Daley and a prospect for Stone) or Maatta/Dumoulin+ for a cost controlled LD upgrade on Maatta/Dumoulin. I could see some matches for the first one, but really none for the second one.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don't know what we would give up for Muzzin, but he'd probably be the perfect partner for Letang.

It also allows for us to run,

Muzzin - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Cole - Daley

Do you think the Kings would accept something along Maatta, Sprong, 2nd?

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Daley has been mostly a train-wreck defensively this year. If we could get an upgrade on him, it might be worth pursuing. But the price we'd have to pay for a guy like Stone for example who'd strictly be a pure rental going forward, probably isn't worth it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not sure why. All have very good bluelines, but all are also leaning more heavily on their top 3-4 then Pittsburgh is. Pittsburgh bottom 4D all averaging at least 18 minutes a night. Not one of the teams you mentioned can say that, and all but perhaps Anaheim are sheltering their 5th and or 6th guy significantly more than Pittsburgh does (or needs to).

That doesn't mean Pittsbugh's blueline is better (or worse), but that statement based on the individuals isn't false.

That's an argument for the #6 guy, not the entire bottom half of the blueline, and it's still marginal/debatable (coach usage is not necessarily the same thing as ability). My objection isn't "nuhuh, Pittsburgh totally sucks" or something silly like that, but rather that it's not an "easy" open-and-shut case. (Or, put differently - "Justin Schultz breaking out does not suddenly mean your blueline is the BEST EVAR." ;) )

* * *​

D'oh. I had a feeling I was forgetting a significant team, but I couldn't think of who.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Franson for Pouliot?

Franson has been much better this year. He isn't a top pairing guy, but can certainly hold down a bottom pairing spot.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
orly.jpg

Washington, Columbus, Anaheim, and Minnesota would all like words with you. Pittsburgh is unquestionably a strong contender for that title, but "easily the best" is a ludicrous exaggeration.

agreed.

Can I interest you in one Mike Green?

actually with a retention and if the Wings take Kunitz back I'm all in...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I don't know what we would give up for Muzzin, but he'd probably be the perfect partner for Letang.

It also allows for us to run,

Muzzin - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Cole - Daley

Do you think the Kings would accept something along Maatta, Sprong, 2nd?

No only way Muzzin leaves is for a established top line winger signed past next year. Matta does nothing for the kings as they have McNabb Forbort Gravel Already With a lot of defense prospects coming So i don't see the Kings interested in a defenseman especially another lh one

Last edited:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
What would you offer for Mike Stone at 50% retention? He's $4M UFA contract.

My guess is "not as much as other contenders at the trade deadline".

I think given his age, status and ability Stone will be sought after by a few contenders. If Arizona really is gonna retain on him, I'd imagine he would be one of the most sought after guys at the TDL.

And I would be surprised to see the Pens offer what few prospects to land one of the bigger names out there. If its a "change of scenery" move involving Pouliot and another young D man that can improve and develop a la Schultz, that's a different story.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No only way Muzzin leaves is for a established top line winger signed past next year. Matta does nothing for the kings as they have McNabb Forbort Gravel Already With a lot of defense prospects coming So i don't see the Kings interested in a defenseman especially another rh one

Maatta isn't a righty, he's a lefty and plays LD.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
orly.jpg

Washington, Columbus, Anaheim, and Minnesota would all like words with you. Pittsburgh is unquestionably a strong contender for that title, but "easily the best" is a ludicrous exaggeration.

Cole-Schultz is the best bottom pair so you'd need an amazing #4 to be clearly better than the pens.

washington's bottom 3 is garbage, and the obvious achilles heel of an other wise great team, lol at you for even mentioning them. great top 3 though. minnesota you have a point, cbj bottom 3 is fine not great. anaheim's is either great or horrible depending on who they're scratching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad