Right Defense ... a position of need

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
**** Carlson. We have Liljegren.

Man, that's just ridiculous. Liljegren is maybe a year or two away from being a third pairing D in the NHL, and in time, perhaps might become what Carlson already is. A guy like Carlson, he can shelter a young talent, instead of relying on Liljegren, to **maybe** becoming as good. Plus... if Lily does become as good as we could hope, we ship out Zaitsev. But at this point in time, Liljegren as a top pairing D man in the NHL, is four or five years away, if it happens.... You might want to make plans for those years in between.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hainsey often need to clear the puck up the left boards because he shoots left.

Here it ends up going bad

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hainsey often need to clear the puck up the left boards because he shoots left.

Here it ends up going bad

He's actually in perfect position there being a LH shot. He can rim it right along the boards or go tape to tape without using the boards.

It's a bad play, it's not due to his handedness there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

I'd do it. Hainsey has been really struggling for months now. Nowhere near as effective. He's played too much all ready. He needs to play a lot less I think...

You could even give a lot more minutes to Carrick as well. He's been very good in his stints. He plays like a warrior too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rielly - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

I'd do it. Hainsey has been really struggling for months now. Nowhere near as effective. He's played too much all ready. He needs to play a lot less I think...

You could even give a lot more minutes to Carrick as well. He's been very good in his stints. He plays like a warrior too.

Was thinking this the other night too. As long as Dermott isn't getting torched it'll be good experience for him. Hainsey hasn't been right since the flu.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think it was predicable that Hainsey would get worn down. The guy has been great for us though
Last I heard Holl was injured, but why not give him a shot?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I always thought he looked good on the right.
That would solve alot of problems.
Apparently he and Hainsey switched sides last game when the Leafs won game 3.
Wonder if that continues for Game 4.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-4-18_9-38-32.png

Justin Holl hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Zaitsev, Carrick and Holl going into next season is decent depth but the Leafs desperately need to find a partner for Rielly, someone that is more long-term and not holding on by a thread.

I'm very vocal about Zaitsev but he's at the very least an average middle pairing defenseman on most days.

I reaaaaaaaally hope Holl is given a chance to be at least a depth defenseman and I also hope they trade Carrick if they aren't going to use him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Zaitsev, Carrick and Holl going into next season is decent depth but the Leafs desperately need to find a partner for Rielly, someone that is more long-term and not holding on by a thread.

I'm very vocal about Zaitsev but he's at the very least an average middle pairing defenseman on most days.

I reaaaaaaaally hope Holl is given a chance to be at least a depth defenseman and I also hope they trade Carrick if they aren't going to use him.
I feel bad for Carrick. He's played well enough to be a regular.

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

100% on this.

I can't see Carrick or Polak being back but I do know Babcock loves some snarl on the back end.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Haha.

I just want to straighten out ... who is playing on the wrong sides and why.
or even if players like playing "on the wrong side".

If you are so smart ... which Forward is playing on the wrong side ?

Just reading this now zach Hyman is the answer. And has done so his entire leaf career. What do I win?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why is he not given the chance then ?

The same reason Leivo, and other players have been left on the bench. The same reason Komarov played over Johnsson.

Babcock has a blindspot for certain players and has a mindset for certain role players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why is he not given the chance then ?

Carrick is a pretty good defender. Much better than Polak but you know, lacks 25lbs and is far too smart to replace Polak (who has done nothing to help this team this series).

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Right D (next year)
Zaitsev
Carrick

== LD that can play RD ==
Rielly (can play both)

=== Might not be back ===
Hainsey (can play both)

== Wont be back ==
Polak

=== RD Prospects === unlikely full time NHLers next year ?
Holl
Liljegren
Ozhiganov

=== LD Prospects ===
(and Rielly can move to the Right side).

Leafs desperately need to find a partner for Rielly, someone that is more long-term and not holding on by a thread.
So true.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren
-Carrick/Rosen

A guy like Parayko is absolutely perfect to pair with Rielly... but yeah, Blues would be asking for the moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad