Rielly ranked #1 of 2012 draft class in TSN (Craig Button) Top 30 NHL Prospects

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Any particular plays you took issue with? I didn't think there was anything about his game today that would make people say this.

Not based on today's viewing only.

But his awareness doesn't seem to be quite there yet. He seems almost unsure what to do in his own end at times. Mind you, he has been paired with Murphy a fair bit this tournament (what a horrible idea for a pairing lol) so that doesn't help. But from every game I've seen of Rielly (maybe ~ 15 games, or so), his defense isn't great.

Perhaps saying "not very good" was the incorrect phrase, as that sounds very negative lol. To say that his defense is not at an NHL level yet would be a more accurate statement.

Just my opinion, anyways.

I am a HUGE Rielly fan btw, I'm just not in a rush to see him in the NHL (though I'm excited to see him when he's ready). Rielly's got such a high skill level, we need to bring him up to the Leafs when he can impose his game on the NHL, rather than find out what 'works' at that level. I think that's what happened to Schenn- he figured out how to play such that he could scrape by in the NHL rather than totally defining his game before he got there. Of course, they're two completely different players and Schenn semi-busting doesn't affect the outcome of Rielly.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Hamilton definitely played way better today. Rielly has been all around solid and I've liked what I've seen. You can tell he is becoming more and more comfortable. The guy that I've been really impressed with is Harrington. He's looked quite good at both ends of the ice. Loved that slap pass to Drouin in the first game and I think he's played very smart and reliable defense. Murphy has aggravated me nearly every time he touches the puck. It seems like he is trying way too hard to make something happen.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Not based on today's viewing only.

But his awareness doesn't seem to be quite there yet. He seems almost unsure what to do in his own end at times. Mind you, he has been paired with Murphy a fair bit this tournament (what a horrible idea for a pairing lol) so that doesn't help. But from every game I've seen of Rielly (maybe ~ 15 games, or so), his defense isn't great.

Perhaps saying "not very good" was the incorrect phrase, as that sounds very negative lol. To say that his defense is not at an NHL level yet would be a more accurate statement.

Just my opinion, anyways.

I am a HUGE Rielly fan btw, I'm just not in a rush to see him in the NHL (though I'm excited to see him when he's ready). Rielly's got such a high skill level, we need to bring him up to the Leafs when he can impose his game on the NHL, rather than find out what 'works' at that level. I think that's what happened to Schenn- he figured out how to play such that he could scrape by in the NHL rather than totally defining his game before he got there. Of course, they're two completely different players and Schenn semi-busting doesn't affect the outcome of Rielly.

I would tend to agree with this post. Like you, I am very excited about Rielly, but I have not been totally blown away by what I've seen. Like I said in the last post, he does seem to be more comfortable every shift. Not ripping on him at all, just not pimping him as much as others around here the past few games!

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, Franson is a good comparison for Hamilton, he just looks like a big lanky guy with a ton of abilities but always leaves you wanting more.

Seth Jones looks like a tower of power out there. Incredibly agile and dynamic looking lugging the puck up the ice just creates dangerous opportunities.

I've seen maybe 10 of his games, and I'd be inclined to agree. But I just don't understand how he could have the hype he does if that's the case.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
To be fair, Hamilton looks like Franson as a 19 year old though. Franson is 25.

Im sure Franson didnt even look like a Franson when he was 19.

Young players usually improve...

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That means very little by itself. They've been pumping his tires all tournament long, regardless of how he played on the ice.
really? because they both commented on how this was his best game so far. how he had turned things around today, he was much better than the first two games. that would indicate to me that they haven't been "pumping his tires".

and why would they "pump his tires" if he didn't deserve it? they know him personally and are biased? or do you believe it would have anything to do with the leafs?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Man Morgan Rielly is so mature for his age... He looks like he's 22 not 18 and seems so professional and well spoken. I expect great things from him.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
really? because they both commented on how this was his best game so far. how he had turned things around today, he was much better than the first two games. that would indicate to me that they haven't been "pumping his tires".

And you'd be wrong.

and why would they "pump his tires" if he didn't deserve it? they know him personally and are biased? or do you believe it would have anything to do with the leafs?

Maybe they're trying to prop up Canada's poster boy ("good Torontonian boy"), like most fans do with their team's top prospects. Hamilton vs Jones, defensive matchup of the ages coming to theaters near your.

I don't know, and I don't care. You should ask them yourself, if you're curious. Hamilton did indeed play his best game of the series, but that really isn't saying much, and he still wasn't all that great.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
And you'd be wrong.

Maybe they're trying to prop up Canada's poster boy ("good Torontonian boy"), like most fans do with their team's top prospects. Hamilton vs Jones, defensive matchup of the ages coming to theaters near your.

I don't know, and I don't care. You should ask them yourself, if you're curious. Hamilton did indeed play his best game of the series, but that really isn't saying much, and he still wasn't all that great.

So you're either suggesting:

A) That TSN's analysts prop up a particular Canadian as a poster boy because he's a Torontonian

or

B) You are a better judge of talent than TSN's analysts.

I'll take neither. But I'm sure everyone else appreciates you stating your opinion and then declining to back it up, quite the contribution.

Last edited:

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And you'd be wrong.

you must realize how ridiculous that sounds.

how is hamilton canada's poster boy? plenty of players on this team have a much higher public profile. they're pumping him because he's from toronto? come on, that's pathetic.

you're just trying to discredit hamilton because he isn't a leaf. he's getting no preferential treatment from the commentators.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I am curious as to how Yakupov, who has been sitting was at nearly a ppg in KHL with junk minutes on a crappy team is some how less than anyone from 2012 for that matter. List seems off.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
And you'd be wrong.

What? I have not heard them giving Hamilton any unwarranted praise. Not sure where any of this is coming from, but seems like you are the only one around here that claims to have heard that. Strange.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I personally think Rielly has been really good in the WJCs so far. Hasn't been totally taking over like he often does in the WHL, but he's playing on a much stronger team, and is fitting in very well. He's displaying his terrific hockey IQ, he always seems to make the right pass, and his passes are hard and super accurate too. I've been quick to point out in the past that his defensive game needs work, but with a bit less of an offensive load I think his defence has been quite a bit better, he's been very solid in his own end. He's also been awesome on breakouts, whenever we have trouble breaking out we just give it to Rielly, and it's a smooth breakout almost every time.

It's obviously hard to compare offensive dmen to defensive dmen, but I personally think Rielly has been the best dman on the team so far. Not a defensive stud like Harrington, but he has still been very solid in his own end, and I think he has unquestionably been the best puck mover and offensive dman on the team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I personally think Rielly has been really good in the WJCs so far. Hasn't been totally taking over like he often does in the WHL, but he's playing on a much stronger team, and is fitting in very well. He's displaying his terrific hockey IQ, he always seems to make the right pass, and his passes are hard and super accurate too. I've been quick to point out in the past that his defensive game needs work, but with a bit less of an offensive load I think his defence has been quite a bit better, he's been very solid in his own end. He's also been awesome on breakouts, whenever we have trouble breaking out we just give it to Rielly, and it's a smooth breakout almost every time.

It's obviously hard to compare offensive dmen to defensive dmen, but I personally think Rielly has been the best dman on the team so far. Not a defensive stud like Harrington, but he has still been very solid in his own end, and I think he has unquestionably been the best puck mover and offensive dman on the team.

I thought Morgan was very good today.

He's making smart plays with the puck, and he's good with his stick deflecting passes, and breaking up plays before they can develop.

He's made a few rushes with the puck, but it seems some mates don't like him or don't understand how a give and go is supposed to work.

On the PP, it looks like they are out of sync. Some of the players are too slow making decisions allowing the defense to adjust.

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
What? I have not heard them giving Hamilton any unwarranted praise. Not sure where any of this is coming from, but seems like you are the only one around here that claims to have heard that. Strange.

One of the announcers was pumping his tires for a nice defensive play Hamilton made 10-15 seconds after he gave the puck away.

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
Did Franson win CHL defenseman of the year? If not, then you have to say Hamilton is ahead of him if you are actually going to attempt to compare their development.
I think Every one would agree that he is ahead of 19 year old Franson.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
So you're either suggesting:

A) That TSN's analysts prop up a particular Canadian as a poster boy because he's a Torontonian

or

B) You are a better judge of talent than TSN's analysts.

I'll take neither. But I'm sure everyone else appreciates you stating your opinion and then declining to back it up, quite the contribution.

You're entitled to your opinion. If you believe Hamilton is playing like the future hall of famer franchise defensemen he's touted to be, it's your choice.

Many fans believe his play has left a lot to be desired in order to match all the hype he's been getting. I don't know, and I don't care why the media hypes him up.

But since this is a thread about Rielly, all that crap is irrelevant. I'm glad he's managed to avoid most of the hype-train so far. There'll be enough of that once he dons the blue and white.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Did Franson win CHL defenseman of the year? If not, then you have to say Hamilton is ahead of him if you are actually going to attempt to compare their development.

Nope, Franson didn't. But do you know who did?

Such studs as:

David Savard
Kris Russell
Danny Syvret
Brendan Bell
Marc Andre Bergeron

Don't get me wrong, dman of the year is a great personal achievement but it by no means is an indicator of future success. In fact, if you go through the list of who has won that award, precious few are top pairing dmen. Some aren't even in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad