Rielly ranked #1 of 2012 draft class in TSN (Craig Button) Top 30 NHL Prospects

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Is there something Spott is seeing in Rielly that nobody else does? He plays Murphy who has been garbage over Rielly who is clearly better. Rielly is even good in his own end. I do not get this preferential treatment.

Well...they haven't allowed a goal and have a 2 goal lead.

Perhaps we should remember what's most important here...winning.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Morgan is being played as their top D man.....period in all situations. I know the D man coach Mike Vandenberghe and watch many games live.
Mike is a former Hounds Jr Coach and one of reasons that Moose Jaw drafted him, he simply puts Morgan on the ice against all the teams best players and he gets a huge amount of ice time.

You're mistaken.

Edmundson got the major defensive assignments.

You're simply mistaken.

That might change in the future because he was traded a few weeks ago.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nope.....heard it from the horses mouth and watched it with my own eyes.

Well watch closer to who he's playing against.

DO you even know who the good forwards are in the WHL?

It could change in the future but Edmondson (St. Louis 2nd round pick, who was just traded) was their shutdown dman for this and last season for Moose Jaw.

I hope that clears things up.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
You're mistaken.

Edmundson got the major defensive assignments.

You're simply mistaken.

That might change in the future because he was traded a few weeks ago.

McFaull and Rielly are their main guys right now, followed by Brown.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well watch closer to who he's playing against.

DO you even know who the good forwards are in the WHL?

It could change in the future but Edmondson (St. Louis 2nd round pick, who was just traded) was their shutdown dman for this and last season for Moose Jaw.

I hope that clears things up.

The only thing that you have cleared up......is that you have not watched the games.....and as I live in the Regina area, I watch a lot of the WHL and know the top players.....in fact I coached a few and against many!

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Hey guys, I'm Steve Spott.

The reason I like to play Murphy as much as I do is because I really loved his character play of electing to shoot on that 3 on 1 rush. It took a lot of guts to pass up on feeding a first overall NHL pick AND the leading scorer of the tournament...and we need guts.

I also love the offence he brings to this team, he really gets his shot on the net and is rewarded with zero points so far in 3 games while being one of the leading ice-leaders. I look forward to continue wasting our PP's with him.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
The only thing that you have cleared up......is that you have not watched the games.....and as I live in the Regina area, I watch a lot of the WHL and know the top players.....in fact I coached a few and against many!

Yeah, Rielly gets heavy defensive duties. I have seen him play out the entire 2 minutes of a PK a few times. A bit ridiculous to suggest from one Oil Kings game that the other coaches prefer putting out their best forwards against Morgan, when there's the other '95s/'96s dmen and Travis Brown.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yeah, Rielly gets heavy defensive duties. I have seen him play out the entire 2 minutes of a PK a few times. A bit ridiculous to suggest the other coaches willingly put out their best forwards against Morgan, when there's the other 95s/96s dmen and Travis Brown.

Yeah there's Joel Edmundson (shutdown dman, 2nd round pick, just got traded) and Kendal McFaull,

but dont let the actual facts or anything prevent you from overrating Rielly's defensive skill and badmouthing his teammates who you apparently know nothin of.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah, Rielly gets heavy defensive duties. I have seen him play out the entire 2 minutes of a PK a few times. A bit ridiculous to suggest the other coaches willingly put out their best forwards against Morgan, when there's the other '95s/'96s dmen and Travis Brown.

Bomber0104 just does not like Rielly. Rielly plays a ton of minutes and other coaches have no choice but to play their best against him as he is on the ice so much....what are the oppositions coaches options.....to only play their top players 8 - 12 minutes.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah there's Joel Edmundson (shutdown dman, 2nd round pick, just got traded) and Kendal McFaull,

but dont let the actual facts or anything prevent you from overrating Rielly's defensive skill and badmouthing his teammates who you apparently know nothin of.

Just how is he bad mouthing Rielly's team mates.

Look at Rielly's plus minus in the World Jr tourney thus far.....did you watch today's game.....he played a flawless defensive game.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Bomber0104 just does not like Rielly. Rielly plays a ton of minutes and other coaches have no choice but to play their best against him as he is on the ice so much....what are the oppositions coaches options.....to only play their top players 8 - 12 minutes.

I like Rielly I just dont pretend that he is good defensively like others reading a stat sheet do.

Joel Edmundson is five times as good defensively as Rielly and was used as such by Moose Jaw before he was traded.

To say the coach was preferring to matchup Joel against lighter guys is simply untrue and very degrading actually because you are badmouthing another teams prospect with dishonest reporting

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Who's overrating Rielly's defensive skill? Well known fact that it's a work in progress, but the argument here is that you're basing off from 1 Oil Kings game that the other junior coaches would prefer putting out their best players against Morgan. I have seen Morgan and MJ play about 15 times this season, and he's a better defender than Travis Brown and Brayden Doucette at the very least. .So spare me your ridiculous nonsense.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Who's overrating Rielly's defensive skill? Well known fact that it's a work in progress, but the argument here is that you're basing off from 1 Oil Kings game that the other junior coaches would prefer putting out their best players against Morgan. I have seen Morgan and MJ play about 15 times this season, and he's a better defender than Travis Brown and Brayden Doucette at the very least. So spare me your ridiculous nonsense.

Not just one game. I've seen about 10-12 games myself. This is what I've seen. I wouldnt go as far as Brown but hes approaching him.

I think people need to stop degrading Morgan's current and ex teammates in order to hype his defensive game.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So what you're saying is you didn't see the game.

Watched it all he was barely given any even strength time and when he was he was never really in his end (thank god) ...there was that one time when subban tripped the dude.

He played good on the pp.

He should be first unit. With Ouelett or Murph.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He had atleast 3-4 shifts in the defensive zone, which is alot considering the lack of icetime. He'll never be a defensive rock, but he fared quite well.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Watched it all he was barely given any even strength time and when he was he was never really in his end (thank god) ...there was that one time when subban tripped the dude.

He played good on the pp.

He should be first unit. With Ouelett or Murph.

This has to be the most bizarre criticism of a defenseman I've heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad