Proposal: Rielly for Doughty

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No he doesn't. Not with his age, or his cap hit

On a team where the core players are veterans, yes

there are player Drews age and older winning cups every So yeah whatever . as for the caphit im sure if u take the % of the cap there are probably a few close Team that win cup have a balance between vet s rookies and players in between Leaf nation need to learn to play defense period Until they do hat they will keep getting knocked out in frist rounds

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Why would Toronto trade Away their best Dman, makes no sense? If Doughty is traded he should be moved for prospects and picks. Easy pass.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
to get a btter defenseman period.With torontos cap hell cap has t o go the other way
Doughty make $11M Rielly makes $5M. Even if LA retain $2M, it's still $4M more...which the leafs cannot afford. Again why would the Leafs do this trade? I'm not so sure they are getting that much better of a dman, as Doughty is on the decline.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
As a Kings fan, I don’t do this deal. Don’t care what random fans think, I watch all Kings games and still think Doughty is elite. We need his vet leadership to win more cups.

I don’t see the Leafs doing this deal either. They need more good defensemen, not a 1 for 1. They should look to move Marner or Nylander for a solid defenseman.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As a Kings fan, I don’t do this deal. Don’t care what random fans think, I watch all Kings games and still think Doughty is elite. We need his vet leadership to win more cups.

I don’t see the Leafs doing this deal either. They need more good defensemen, not a 1 for 1. They should look to move Marner or Nylander for a solid defenseman.

It’s wild that the narrative that Doughty is declining doesn’t match his on-ice product. He’s still an elite defender. Last year and early this season, there were a lot of two- or three-on-one rushes against Doughty (and Quick) due to having a terrible team around him. Bad teams come with learning pains, frustrations, and a lack of meaningful hockey by the new year. Throughout this entire process, Doughty has worked hard and consistently stated that he wants to be a King long term. He’s staying; he’s earned it.

If Doughty was on the Leafs, he would be their best defenseman by a country mile and every Toronto fan would be praising his brilliance in his own zone. He’s not an offensive defenseman and never has been. He is an elite defender who controls the game and just so happens to also be top thirty in scoring amongst defenseman, just as a byproduct of being really good at hockey. He still reminds me of Lidstrom, and I think he has a lot of good years left.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
(Leafs world)
Doughty in a Kings sweater,is old declining and past his prime,not worth the assets.

Doughty in a Leafs sweater,Doughty is a elite defensemen that would cost you 3 first rounds picks,3 star prospects and two star players.

Said no one except in your mind. People need to stop inventing things Leafs fans think and say and acting like it's true

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
to get a btter defenseman period.With torontos cap hell cap has t o go the other way
Not better..period... especially in mid to long term... one D man unless its Alex P doesn't get the leafs closer .. they need a # 2, 3/4 and probably a 6

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Said no one except in your mind. People need to stop inventing things Leafs fans think and say and acting like it's true
You’re right, it’s only people doing that to leaf fans and not the other way around ever.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Correct me if im wrong but your team has 2 ahl d ready to play in Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren both been highy touted by leaf nation Okay maybe you don't want to start 2 rookies as i look at ur lineup there is to much money in ur forwards William Nylander should be able to get u a top 4 s saving a few buck in the difference
Sandin is more ready than Lil, but neither are ready to log heavy minutes. replacing Reilly with Doughty just shifts a couple of deck chairs around....and adds a ton to our cap issue. Arguments about better player vs other player are fine, but this trade hinders TO more than helps.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If I was the Leafs, I would do the following:
1) Deal one of their overpriced but talented forwards for some grit...they miss Kadri a lot...this also helps the cap situation
2) Get some of their talented defensemen prospects into the lineup, have these entry level-ish contract players help shore up the defense...either move them into the lineup or trade them vet defense help like they did with Muzzin
3) Have a little cap cushion for any other possibilities
4) Make the playoffs, not be pushovers

LA should do the following:
1) Keep Doughty
2) Make a dozen or so of our top prospects duke it out for NHL jobs
3) Put a half dozen or so of our exciting young prospects that win jobs into the lineup; watch them blossom, led by Vilardi
4) Win some games, make the playoffs
5) Watch Doughty become interested in competing again

We don't have any extra veteran grit to trade nor do we have any more veteran defensemen to trade. So it won't be LA that the Leafs should be dealing with. They need to shed cap, not acquire a huge cap hit in Doughty.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Might be a little bit of a tangent but is Tanev to TO a possibility? I feel like that's a better use of Toronto's assets anyway.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Kings get rid of the worst contract in the league and get to add a stud young defenseman on top of that? Doesn't make much sense.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It’s wild that the narrative that Doughty is declining doesn’t match his on-ice product. He’s still an elite defender. Last year and early this season, there were a lot of two- or three-on-one rushes against Doughty (and Quick) due to having a terrible team around him. Bad teams come with learning pains, frustrations, and a lack of meaningful hockey by the new year. Throughout this entire process, Doughty has worked hard and consistently stated that he wants to be a King long term. He’s staying; he’s earned it.

If Doughty was on the Leafs, he would be their best defenseman by a country mile and every Toronto fan would be praising his brilliance in his own zone. He’s not an offensive defenseman and never has been. He is an elite defender who controls the game and just so happens to also be top thirty in scoring amongst defenseman, just as a byproduct of being really good at hockey. He still reminds me of Lidstrom, and I think he has a lot of good years left.

Nobody is suggesting he isn't an elite D-man. The point is, this team is very young and their window for a cup is still very wide open. Doughty would provide a couple very good seasons, whereas Rielly fits in with the core and makes this blue line better for the next 8-9 years. That's all it is. Matthews/Marner/Nylander are all 22-23, it doesn't make sense to trade your best D for Doughty right now. Has nothing to do with Doughty as a player, and has everything to do with this cores age. They want to be competitive for years going forward. By the time Matthews and company are ready to be real contenders Doughty will most likely be declining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad