Proposal: Rielly for Doughty

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Rielly for Doughty (2 million retained annually)

Toronto gets a #1 RD with a good shot and some toughness. He’s exactly what is needed

L.A gets a cheaper #1 D who is younger and more likely to be in his prime by the time L.A is competing for cups again.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Kings should not retain on Doughty, that is stupid and Will bitr Kings in ze azz when Byfield?, turcotte Vilardi wants their bew contracts.

Reactions: Morrison and YP44

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Rielly for Doughty (2 million retained annually)

Toronto gets a #1 RD with a good shot and some toughness. He’s exactly what is needed

L.A gets a cheaper #1 D who is younger and more likely to be in his prime by the time L.A is competing for cups again.
Toronto says NO. Morgan has more offensive upside and a #1 D man. Drew is soon to be past prime... this isn the swap the leafs wants... something more like Nylander and Kap for Drew is more realistic

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Are Ceci and Barrie replaced by cardboard cut outs of NHL defensemen in this scenario? :golfnana:
You think Ceci is hard to replace? Lol

Currently we have our two first rounders from 2017 and 2018 scheduled to make the roster next year:

Rielly
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The world where LA gets rid of an 11 million dollar D man for a 1D that's younger and will make less money

If that was actually true, this thread wouldn't have been created. For all that gets said about Doughty, he's still a top ten (arguably top five) defenseman in the NHL. When games count, there isn't another defenseman in the NHL I'd rather have. The Kings have had two of their worst teams ever for the past two seasons. I'd rather stick with Doughty moving forward and watch him retake his status as the top defenseman in the league. It's hard to be the best when your team is out of the playoffs by December and the rest of your team is trash.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Is it just me or does the entire HFBoards that are not Leafs fans not want any part of any Leafs player ... simply because they are a Leafs player?

Seriously though, I am a Kings fan and I'd strongly consider this, though the retention part would make it tough. It's far too long of a term to retain for my liking but Doughty is a depreciating asset on a big contract with 7 years remaining. I'd love him here to help mentor the younger d-men and out of respect to him if he really wants to stay, but Reilly makes more sense.

First, the Doughty contract may be an anchor as soon as 2-3 years from now, never mind the later years, just around the time some of the Kings' ELCs start expiring and big raises are likely coming. Even if he holds up for now play-wise, anyone believe he'll be anything close to an 11M player in 2024? 2025? 2026? If not, why not maximize the return on him now *if* possible and in a deal that brings back a top-4 d?

Reilly is under contract for two more seasons and if after the first he is open to re-sign - and the club wants to keep him - then he can be locked down for another ~5 years, and at a lot less than $11m. With the flat cap throwing things off for the near future, maybe he's a $7M man? In any case, even if he wishes to go UFA, with one year left after this season he is a very attractive add for a contending team next Summer - a reasonable salary and the chance at a re-sign for the buyer. The Kings will have a hole to file on the blue line but likely will have the cap space to fill it.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is it just me or does the entire HFBoards that are not Leafs fans not want any part of any Leafs player ... simply because they are a Leafs player?

That's both a sweeping generalization and some kind of weird Leafs persecution complex that has pervaded this forum. The Leafs have a ton of great players, but trading the Kings' best defenseman for the Leafs' best defenseman, especially with the Kings retaining $2 million for seven years, just doesn't make sense.

Seriously though, I am a Kings fan and I'd strongly consider this, though the retention part would make it tough. It's far too long of a term to retain for my liking but Doughty is a depreciating asset on a big contract with 7 years remaining. I'd love him here to help mentor the younger d-men and out of respect to him if he really wants to stay, but Reilly makes more sense.

First, the Doughty contract may be an anchor as soon as 2-3 years from now, never mind the later years, just around the time some of the Kings' ELCs start expiring and big raises are likely coming. Even if he holds up for now play-wise, anyone believe he'll be anything close to an 11M player in 2024? 2025? 2026? If not, why not maximize the return on him now *if* possible and in a deal that brings back a top-4 d?

Reilly is under contract for two more seasons and if after the first he is open to re-sign - and the club wants to keep him - then he can be locked down for another ~5 years, and at a lot less than $11m. With the flat cap throwing things off for the near future, maybe he's a $7M man? In any case, even if he wishes to go UFA, with one year left after this season he is a very attractive add for a contending team next Summer - a reasonable salary and the chance at a re-sign for the buyer. The Kings will have a hole to file on the blue line but likely will have the cap space to fill it.

If the goal is to have someone here to help mentor the younger guys, you'd prefer Reilly over Doughty? You don't want the guy who has two Stanley Cups, an olympic gold medal, and a Norris trophy? I'd be pretty surprised if Reilly doesn't re-sign close to 9 or 10 and would certainly be looking for an eight-year contract. So what's the plan? We lose Reilly in two years for nothing or we give him that massive contract? At least Drew's done it all with the Kings. And for what it's worth, I trust Doughty's ability to remain a contributing member of the Kings into his older years than I would Reilly. Do you remember what helped us win cups? Rock-solid veteran defense. If Doughty plays a Willie Mitchell or Rob Scuderi role in the last year or two of his contract, that would even be worth it.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The kings team around Doughty the last couple years was not very good. Doughty tried to do too much and his play suffered for it. Get him a reliable pairing and he'll bounce back.

Also, there is no way the kings are retaining $2 million for 7 years.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
With Ceci and Barrie coming off the books and the swap of cap hits of Doughty and Reilly, it is definitely possible but not feasible.

You are ignoring the contract extension raises to Muzzin, Engvall, Holl, and Campbell. Dermott is a RFA and needs a new contract.

The leafs have less than $4.6 million in cap space with 17 players signed. The transaction you propose would have the leafs at 17 players and only $591,467 in space.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
You think Ceci is hard to replace? Lol

Currently we have our two first rounders from 2017 and 2018 scheduled to make the roster next year:

Rielly
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin

Yes, but they still come with a salary. Smaller for sure, but you can't just write off Barrie and Ceci's contracts completely as they still need to be replaced with ELC's at minimum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad