Proposal: Rielly for Doughty

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Doughty has still put up good numbers but defensively he's really struggled. He is still a great asset but trading Reilly is steep for the Leafs.

If Leafs really targeted Doughty, they would probably offer a package of Nylander (for cap hit) & Sandin/Lilijegren.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Judging by by the profile pic. His team has Doughty.

yeah sometimes fans get overwhelmed by Cap Scratch fever
reasonable chance that, even five years from now, Reilly not as good as DD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yeah sometimes fans get overwhelmed by Cap Scratch fever
reasonable chance that, even five years from now, Reilly not as good as DD

Reilly is not as good as Doughty right now. Rielly is good though. I just don't consider him a beast in his own end. Muzzin might be the best two way defenseman the Leafs have. Rielly skates so well and puts up production on the stacked leafs roster which makes him appear to be this complete D man. But his neutralizing down low and clearing the front of the net is average at best. Play with the puck vs play without the puck. And Dubas though Barrie was a RD solution. For Leaf fans sake.... you better hope Dubas has come to his senses and moves out of the analytical nut house. It's important but not the only thing a hockey team needs.

Rielly vs Reilly. HF Board classic... "not even close" :laugh:

As far as Rielly vs Doughty? Doubt the Kings trade Doughty for a guy who can walk in two more years.

Reactions: go4hockey

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Keep Rielly, and trade MM for Doughty. Reilly and Doughty would be a fabulous pair. They could be like the CBJ Jones and Werensky pair, and play half of every game.
Leafs shouldn’t trade D for D. They need to trade a forward for an elite D. MM can return that.

Reactions: Marner4Life

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yes, but they still come with a salary. Smaller for sure, but you can't just write off Barrie and Ceci's contracts completely as they still need to be replaced with ELC's at minimum
And all the Leafs big boys are already signed.

Just have to replace the collective 7m lossed in Barrie and Ceci.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
wow where to start in this mess first if u think reily is close to drew as a defenseman u need help You would think after the kings trading campbell jake and clifford that getting a king player he plays better. I am finally listening to offer because Reiley is a piece that needs to come back with our defense they need someone to play some mins but they need more then just that Now what that is i don/t know. However Reilly ++ is the place to start

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If the goal is to have someone here to help mentor the younger guys, you'd prefer Reilly over Doughty? You don't want the guy who has two Stanley Cups, an olympic gold medal, and a Norris trophy? I'd be pretty surprised if Reilly doesn't re-sign close to 9 or 10 and would certainly be looking for an eight-year contract. So what's the plan? We lose Reilly in two years for nothing or we give him that massive contract? At least Drew's done it all with the Kings. And for what it's worth, I trust Doughty's ability to remain a contributing member of the Kings into his older years than I would Reilly. Do you remember what helped us win cups? Rock-solid veteran defense. If Doughty plays a Willie Mitchell or Rob Scuderi role in the last year or two of his contract, that would even be worth it.

- I'd prefer to have Doughty mentor the young 'uns over Reilly, but not for the cost it will incur over the next 7 years
- I already addressed "losing" Reilly if he doesn't re-sign: Talk to him next Summer about an extension and if he doesn't commit or his terms are out of reach, trade him. Plenty of teams would line up for his skill set and cap hit for one season. Not a Karlsson-level return, obviously, but significant
- I agree with all that he's done and I'd love him to stay, just not at $11M over 7 full years. Chop that down to 3 or 4 years and it's far more palatable. As I also mentioned, this team has a core of young prospects that will be off ELCs over the next 3,4, 5 years and clearing Doughty's cap hit while he's still near peak form makes more sense then (potentially) pulling a Marleau/Dubas and giving up assets for someone to take his contract 5-6 years from now. Yes, he may still be a solid player then but I'd prefer not to wait and find out when a team is willing to give me a top 4 defender in return right now.
- To add: As a hypothetical Kings GM in this scenario, I'm not actively shopping Doughty around for all the reasons you mentioned, but if another GM stepped forward with a deal like this, I'd be listening.
- I should note though, from the Leafs standpoint this would be a hard pass. The Leafs need RD badly, but not at the expense of trading their best defender. They need to use other assets, or just UFA signings if possible, to fill those vacancies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lets assume Doughty was up for trade and I HIGHLY doubt he is, this would defeated the purpose of getting him because he would want to pair him WITH Rielly

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If your a contender and your going all in to win a cup next season Doughty is your man over Rielly.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If that was actually true, this thread wouldn't have been created. For all that gets said about Doughty, he's still a top ten (arguably top five) defenseman in the NHL. When games count, there isn't another defenseman in the NHL I'd rather have. The Kings have had two of their worst teams ever for the past two seasons. I'd rather stick with Doughty moving forward and watch him retake his status as the top defenseman in the league. It's hard to be the best when your team is out of the playoffs by December and the rest of your team is trash.
Today this might be true. But the 11m contract runs until Doughty will be 37, closing in on 38 and he already showed signs of slowing down. The contract was signed with the expectation to extent the window of contention. Reality is the Kings are most likely no contender the next two seasons, but have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. Unfortunately the backend of Doughty's contract probably won't be a beauty and will limit LA form keeping there next great team together.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Today this might be true. But the 11m contract runs until Doughty will be 37, closing in on 38 and he already showed signs of slowing down. The contract was signed with the expectation to extent the window of contention. Reality is the Kings are most likely no contender the next two seasons, but have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. Unfortunately the backend of Doughty's contract probably won't be a beauty and will limit LA form keeping there next great team together.

What signs of slowing down, exactly? Not point totals or time on ice. Again, this is a 30-year-old world-class defenseman. Is Pietrangelo showing signs of slowing down? Hedman? Would you give either of them 8-year contract extensions?

Doughty’s been on a bottom five team the past two years. Were you watching any of those games? I watched them all and they were brutal, and even with a complete lack of talent around him, he’s still a world-class defenseman. Kings aren’t trading Drew. He’ll still be contributing in five years. His game isn’t dependent on size or speed, which is a big factor for why other players fizzle out.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
would think this is not so great for Toronto. Doughty has been on the decline...coming from a Habs fan

Reactions: LFCTML

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
What signs of slowing down, exactly? Not point totals or time on ice. Again, this is a 30-year-old world-class defenseman. Is Pietrangelo showing signs of slowing down? Hedman? Would you give either of them 8-year contract extensions?

Doughty’s been on a bottom five team the past two years. Were you watching any of those games? I watched them all and they were brutal, and even with a complete lack of talent around him, he’s still a world-class defenseman. Kings aren’t trading Drew. He’ll still be contributing in five years. His game isn’t dependent on size or speed, which is a big factor for why other players fizzle out.
I'd consider it a big mistake to sign any 30 year old for big money for 7 years. There aren't many elite players over 35 in the league. Leafs fans were giving Dubas grief for giving muzzin a 4 year deal and hes 31. It also wouldn't make sense to move their best defensemen out when that is their weakness, if they want an elite defender they would need to part with an expensive forward

Last edited:

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Pretty elite top pair.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
considering flat cap i wouldn't pay any player (except mcd) 11m and for sure not on a 8 year deal, which runs out to 35 years plus. 11m are 13.5% of the available salary cap. that's three times the average, if you calculate with a 22 man roster.
obviously you can follow the sj model with:
burns 35 5y/8m
vlasic 33 6y/7m
karlsson 30 7y/11.5m

their defense will be an expensive disaster for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad