Proposal: Rielly for Doughty

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I am terrified of acquiring Doughty. I honestly have no idea where his value falls, but he doesn't do well by the eye test...

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Oh come on now. I could see if Rielly was signed longer maybe. But 2 years of Rielly? Not close, and I’m a huge Rielly fan.
2 years of Rielly and resigning for a lot less than 11 million a year is better value than what that Doughty contract will look like in the back half of the deal

Reactions: Liferleafer

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
2 years of Rielly and resigning for a lot less than 11 million a year is better value than what that Doughty contract will look like in the back half of the deal
But the resigning is in no way guaranteed. The same way in every proposal where the leaf player gets the shorter contract that it is unacceptable by nearly all leaf fans. Also you or I have no clue what amount or length he’ll sign for. Yes with the flat cap it’s highly unlikely to be 11 mil, but it also is likely that it’s only another year or two

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
But the resigning is in no way guaranteed. The same way in every proposal where the leaf player gets the shorter contract that it is unacceptable by nearly all leaf fans. Also you or I have no clue what amount or length he’ll sign for. Yes with the flat cap it’s highly unlikely to be 11 mil, but it also is likely that it’s only another year or two
Even if Rielly left after two years, if the kings got out of the back half of the deal that would be a valuable thing also opening up that money in a few years or flipping Morgan for a bunch of assets at TDL 21/22 if the Kings aren't a playoff team at that time

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
How will Toronto be able to take on $4 million more in cap space when they only have $4.5 million left and 6 more roster spots left to fill?

That’s when Dubas will repeat his now infamous, “We can, and we will!”
But then Shanahan will pull him aside and whisper quietly to him, “Uhh, Kyle, you do remember we screwed ourselves when we handed out the $40 million to our core, right?”

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
The world where LA gets rid of an 11 million dollar D man for a 1D that's younger and will make less money
But then they are really paying Reilly 2m on top of what he’ll sign for. So if he signs for 8M per, they are essentially on the hook for 10 mil in cap...

Reactions: YP44

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Even if Rielly left after two years, if the kings got out of the back half of the deal that would be a valuable thing also opening up that money in a few years or flipping Morgan for a bunch of assets at TDL 21/22 if the Kings aren't a playoff team at that time
Oh geez. That’s like saying the leafs should trade Tavares for nothing because he might decline towards the back end of that contract. Don’t act like Doughty is a cap dump all of a sudden. I hope you have this same type of opinion when it comes to proposals for leaf players being traded for players with shorter contracts.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am terrified of acquiring Doughty. I honestly have no idea where his value falls, but he doesn't do well by the eye test...
should watch him more then. When he is emotionally invested in games he is still one of the best in the league. I know that is knock on him as "one of the best in the league" should not need motivating, but bottom line is the King's have been out a month into the season the last two years. Look at his games against Calgary for what he can do when he is invested...and that has been with Forbort on his pair.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why would we trade for Doughty ? I love the guy, but moving our young #1D who fits in with the core for a guy like Doughty doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Petrus

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Given the way Doughty has played the last couple of seasons, Doughty doesn't get you Rielly.
This. Rielly is the better all around dman at this point IMO because Doughty has played pretty terrible the last two years

Doughty just got a mega contract and is on the back 9 of his career. No thanks

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
if u want a chance at the Cup drew gets u closer period
So we go from
Rielly-???
Muzzin-???
Dermott-Holl

To

???-Doughty
Muzzin-???
Dermott-Holl
Plus lose some other roster players trying to make up the cap difference between Rielly and Doughty.

Boom!!! Instant cup contenders!!!:laugh:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
So we go from
Rielly-???
Muzzin-???
Dermott-Holl

To

???-Doughty
Muzzin-???
Dermott-Holl
Plus lose some other roster players trying to make up the cap difference between Rielly and Doughty.

Boom!!! Instant cup contenders!!!:laugh:
Correct me if im wrong but your team has 2 ahl d ready to play in Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren both been highy touted by leaf nation Okay maybe you don't want to start 2 rookies as i look at ur lineup there is to much money in ur forwards William Nylander should be able to get u a top 4 s saving a few buck in the difference

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
should watch him more then. When he is emotionally invested in games he is still one of the best in the league. I know that is knock on him as "one of the best in the league" should not need motivating, but bottom line is the King's have been out a month into the season the last two years. Look at his games against Calgary for what he can do when he is invested...and that has been with Forbort on his pair.

It's a knock that could be a serious problem in Toronto to be honest. Media and fans are ruthless in that city.

Correct me if im wrong but your team has 2 ahl d ready to play in Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren both been highy touted by leaf nation Okay maybe you don't want to start 2 rookies as i look at ur lineup there is to much money in ur forwards William Nylander should be able to get u a top 4 s saving a few buck in the difference

Those rookies need insulation, much like all the other sub 23 NHL defencemen out there (outside of a few elite). Toronto doesn;'t have that luxury...

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Why would we trade for Doughty ? I love the guy, but moving our young #1D who fits in with the core for a guy like Doughty doesn't make any sense.
Exactly. Drew Doughty is one of my top 10 favorite players in the league but moving Rielly to get him plus whatever else the leafs would have to move just to fit DD in makes zero sense.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad