Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Once this guy puts on another 20 to 30 lbs & maybe another inch he's gong to be a pain in the ass to play against & he has the time given he is still quite young. My guess is he will likely start in the bottom six, but could have 2nd line potential since he also has some offensive skills & his skating is very good. The fact that he has a motor that never quits & is usually compared to Marchand is also very encouraging. There will be quite a bit of competition on LW with Tkachuk, Formenton, Greig & Gruden could also be a player to watch.

All of a sudden this team has a lot of Americans on it although some of these guys have Canadian parents, but live in the US.

Tkachuk
L. Brown
Pinto
Sanderson
Norris
White
Greig
Gruden

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
163 lbs. I wonder about his frame. Hopefully it's not Turris-like, as this will limit his ability to play his brand of hockey in the pro's.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
163 lbs. I wonder about his frame. Hopefully it's not Turris-like, as this will limit his ability to play his brand of hockey in the pro's.

This video gives you a good idea of his frame as he's not in equipment; pretty slight looking right now,

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Marchand, Gallagher, Andrew Shaw, and Pageau are all (generously?) listed as low 180´s, three of those guys are shorter than Greig but its possible to play that style at a smaller size.

Karlsson was 155 at the draft and filled out to a respectable 190 relatively quickly.

His dad Mark played at 5’11 196. It’s going to take a lot of hard work but I’m not too worried.

This video gives you a good idea of his frame as he's not in equipment; pretty slight looking right now,

Good find, but keep in mind that was 10 months ago and this kid just turned 18 in august. He almost surely looks different now.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
From Kyle Woodlief in USA Today:

28. Ottawa Senators (from N.Y. Islanders) — LW Ridly Greig. One of RLR’s personal favorites struggled offensively in first half after missing time with an early suspension, but was on fire when the season was canceled, routinely picking up 2-3 points per game over the last dozen. Old-school throwback will search out the biggest opponents and get under their skin cleanly. Super pest extraordinaire constantly pokes and prods players when ref’s back is turned. Amazing strength on skates for his size, so much stronger than he appears. Finds space to shoot in traffic. Excellent change of direction, skillfully pivoting around defenders. Dynamic passer sends feeds off backhand a split-second after receiving them on forehand. Floats flawless seam passes at top flight on the go and can stickhandle through triple coverage. Loves the corner battles and deliberately jostles goalies at every conceivable turn. Will score dirty goals, and also snipe beauties.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
From Kyle Woodlief in USA Today:

28. Ottawa Senators (from N.Y. Islanders) — LW Ridly Greig. One of RLR’s personal favorites struggled offensively in first half after missing time with an early suspension, but was on fire when the season was canceled, routinely picking up 2-3 points per game over the last dozen. Old-school throwback will search out the biggest opponents and get under their skin cleanly. Super pest extraordinaire constantly pokes and prods players when ref’s back is turned. Amazing strength on skates for his size, so much stronger than he appears. Finds space to shoot in traffic. Excellent change of direction, skillfully pivoting around defenders. Dynamic passer sends feeds off backhand a split-second after receiving them on forehand. Floats flawless seam passes at top flight on the go and can stickhandle through triple coverage. Loves the corner battles and deliberately jostles goalies at every conceivable turn. Will score dirty goals, and also snipe beauties.

Sounds a bit like Gallagher.

Reactions: Bileur and Tuna99

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If you were to guarantee me a more physical, larger Pageau with the 28th pick in the draft I pull that trigger every time.

Also on an ELC. Dorion out here playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers

Reactions: NB613

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
All of a sudden this team has a lot of Americans on it although some of these guys have Canadian parents, but live in the US.

Tkachuk
L. Brown
Pinto
Sanderson
Norris
White
Greig
Gruden

And that's why they call them "The Brady Bunch"... Oh The Brady Bunch... Yes The Brady Bunch

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Interesting pick

We have a lot of top-6 prospects/young players, we also need to build a strong bottom-6 and seriously at the moment, who do we have that would contribute to do that?

I would say Nick Paul and Connor Brown but by the time Greigis ready to make an impact, they will be close to 30 y/o.

Mike Fisher?

Shouldn't have Fisher's body. Mike was a force of nature, we used to say a bull on skates

I'm thinking of Antoine Roussel or if all goes well in his development, Darcy Tucker?

I thought about Jarkko Ruutu too, but I don't know... I think I like Roussel. Might think of others with more time/research

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Also on an ELC. Dorion out here playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers
tenor.gif

Reactions: Sweatred

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Figure 2 years in junior and 2h in the AHL hopefully. I’m excited personally would give him say 4 games and then send him back down. Give him a taste and let him go wild like a rabbit dog.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
To me his description looked like a more physical Pageau. That's not a great upside for a first round pick, but it is a solid player that'll probably pan out from hard work alone.

Personally, if Ridly Greig is a more physical Pageau, I'm doing flips.

I mean, yes it's a first round pick but it's also a very late one at 28th OA. Historic data shows significant drops of probability of success in the later part of the first round.

And it's not just about points. Pageau is a heck of a player. That's why the Isles were ready to give a 1st, a 2nd to get him as an upcoming UFA and even threw 30 M$ at him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Personally, if Ridly Greig is a more physical Pageau, I'm doing flips.

I mean, yes it's a first round pick but it's also a very late one at 28th OA. Historic data shows significant drops of probability of success in the later part of the first round.

And it's not just about points. Pageau is a heck of a player. That's why the Isles were ready to give a 1st, a 2nd to get him as an upcoming UFA and even threw 30 M$ at him.

Yeah. If Greig becomes even just a Pageau level player we did very well with this pick. I think his skating will need to improve to do some of the things Pager can but he's young and meaner than Pageau. I think he'll grow into a bigger player too. I'm fairly excited about this player.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Don't @ me about the following comparison but it just occurred to me that Greig compares in style, production, draft position and even junior team to Jayce Hawryluk. Hopefully Greig progresses faster but we might need to wait quite a while for this player.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Don't @ me about the following comparison but it just occurred to me that Greig compares in style, production, draft position and even junior team to Jayce Hawryluk. Hopefully Greig progresses faster but we might need to wait quite a while for this player.
Probably from this post you liked on Monday:

What's scary to me is how similar Hawryluk was as a prospect to Greig, who we just took 28th OVR.

Both are 5'11, played for Brandon, play an aggressive tenacious game and rack up lots of PIMs, and both have decent skill+skating but not top 6 quality.

Hopefully we get more out of Greig than Florida did out of Hawryluk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad