Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ridly Greig was taken 8th overall in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft. This season has been a breakout campaign for the Brandon Wheat Kings centre. He has scored 26 goals and 34 assists for 60 points in just 56 games played before the season was stopped. Greig scored the Teddy Bear Toss goal for the Wheat Kings this season. In the summer he also got the opportunity to play for Team Canada at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a silver medal. Greig put up two goals and an assist for three points in five games at the tournament.

Greig scored 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points in 63 games played last year. He also made an appearance on the international stage. Greig was part of Team Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up one assist in six tournament games. The son of former NHLer, and 1990 first-round pick Mark Greig who played 125 NHL games along with having a long minor-league career. He is now a scout with the Philadelphia Flyers. His uncle, Bruce Greig, was also an NHL draftee, an eighth-round pick of the California Golden Seals, who played in both the NHL and WHA.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/06/ridly-greig-scouting-report/

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
love this description

Outfitted with a seemingly bottomless gas tank, Greig's energy impacts all three zones. If there's a scrum, he's involved: if there isn't, he creates one. Although average in stature, few players in the draft bring a more refined physical game and all-out destruction. He's an intelligent defensive player, he attacks with pace offensively, and has a deft passing ability. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Apparently his favorite player is Claude Giroux. Hopefully he can be developed into a Giroux/Mike Richards type. He also seems like a bit of a super pest so maybe a bit of Darcy Tucker/Sean Avery/Brad Marchand to his game.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Seems like a nice mix of skill and grit. The kind of player that contributes and helps drive a good team. Can't wait to see how he fills out and develops over the next couple years!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I haven't seen much of Greig, but what I will say is that I have zero faith in the Sens WHL scouts after they argued Lassi Thomson was the best player available at 19 last year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I really like this pick.

Excellent skater, pest, plays responsibly while having an offensive edge. He needs to add some pounds but he is one of the youngest players in the draft so lots of room to grow just as young as byfield

huge fan of the pick

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I wish I knew where Dorion had Grieg ranked on his list? He must have realized he was going to drop and decided to save his other picks and not move up.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Any commentary on what to expect from him and what kind of player you think he can become?

Watched a lot of him live and online over the past couple of years. Just and endless motor,high energy lots of skill, no fear. Richards is a good comparison but he reminds me a lot like a former Wheat King Brayden Schenn.

He was having a tremendous 2nd half of the season and the Wheat Kings were really coming together and poised for a long run in the playoffs. I was telling everyone on the Jets board that this kid is going to rise in the rankings and I really think if Covid didn't happen he would have went higher.

I think he is 2nd line type of player in the NHL and at worst ends up a real good 3rd liner that kills penalties and plays hard night in and night out.

My slight worry is his size and style of play that he could get hurt. But man this guy would run guys through the boards on some nights and then score an end to end goal.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Amazing that Ridly and Jake Sanderson both got drafted by the sens. Their dads were both drafted by Hartford in 1990. Mark greig 15th overall and Geoff Sanderson 36th. Broke into the league together and have been buddies ever since. Both live in Whitefish, Montana. The boys were born a few weeks apart and grew up together. Pretty wild

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He's going to be an NHLer. But he's a career bottom 6 guy to me.
Personally I wish we woulda taken an actual chance instead of going for the safe low risk low reward pick.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad