Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He's going to be an NHLer. But he's a career bottom 6 guy to me.
Personally I wish we woulda taken an actual chance instead of going for the safe low risk low reward pick.

the kid just finished his 17 year old season and was over a point a game. Lots of growth potential on this pick, even if he plays on a third or fourth line everything ive read on him makes him look like a valuable depth piece. I definitely think he has potential to be a top 6c.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Amazing that Ridly and Jake Sanderson both got drafted by the sens. Their dads were both drafted by Hartford in 1990. Mark greig 15th overall and Geoff Sanderson 36th. Broke into the league together and have been buddies ever since. Both live in Whitefish, Montana. The boys were born a few weeks apart and grew up together. Pretty wild

Wouldn't surprise me if this is something that the Sens value, given how much trouble this organization has had keeping star players here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wish I knew where Dorion had Grieg ranked on his list? He must have realized he was going to drop and decided to save his other picks and not move up.

I expected some trades to move up our first round #28 pick. I suspect Dorion decided to retain all the picks due to poor offers. I also suspect that the team felt that the quantity of players at the next tier made trading up not beneficial.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's the sense I get too watching all the video resources I have available, hoping I'm wrong though.

I think he probably will be a 3rd liner, but he could also play PK, PP, and be a disturbing physical presence. I think he's a nice balance of high floor without having too low of a ceiling. Not entirely dissimilar from Norris in his draft year, although I'm not sure if Greig is as athletic as Norris. Can likely shift between C & LW if needed, too.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
To me his description looked like a more physical Pageau. That's not a great upside for a first round pick, but it is a solid player that'll probably pan out from hard work alone.

Reactions: DrEasy

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
He's going to be an NHLer. But he's a career bottom 6 guy to me.
Personally I wish we woulda taken an actual chance instead of going for the safe low risk low reward pick.

I don’t understand why people keep saying this type of thing, do you think there are guys in the draft projected to be super skilled great players but they are somehow not being drafted because it’s not safe?
Like what’s the risk/reward people keep pointing too? They should take a player that is projected to not make it but hope they end up stars?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
The more I see of him the more I like. Even if he just turns out to be a great 3C, that's a valuable piece for a contending team.

Reactions: Matsens15

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
I'm pretty pumped on this pick, I wanted Peterka but hearing Brad Allen of Hockeyprospect.com talk this guy up makes me really happy. I think there's some solid potential with him and I just see him as someone driving the Leafs and other teams up the wall.

Reactions: Leaves34

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While I'm not the biggest fan of this pick, I will say that extremely tenacious players like Greig occasionally can surprise and become decent offensive contributors, even if their overall skills and tools aren't above-average.

I think guys like Shaw and Hartman are decent comparables in terms of both potential and play-style. Player like that is a valuable part of your bottom 6, especially come playoff time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One of the youngest in the draft, highest PPG on his team, and an impact in all 3 zones with a huge edge. Awesome pick.

We are going to be a very tough team to play against that scores in bunches and play any type of game.
He definitely fits the identity, getting some Darcy Tucker vibes.

Amazing that Ridly and Jake Sanderson both got drafted by the sens. Their dads were both drafted by Hartford in 1990. Mark greig 15th overall and Geoff Sanderson 36th. Broke into the league together and have been buddies ever since. Both live in Whitefish, Montana. The boys were born a few weeks apart and grew up together. Pretty wild
I did not know that, thats pretty amazing.

Reactions: DrEasy

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
He definitely fits the identity, getting some Darcy Tucker vibes.

I did not know that, thats pretty amazing.

we can say what we want but Dorion did his homework with all the young guys they bring in! They all know each other or are very very good friend !!!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
To me his description looked like a more physical Pageau. That's not a great upside for a first round pick, but it is a solid player that'll probably pan out from hard work alone.

Pageau in his draft year is ranked overall:
21 for Games
20 for Points

Pageau was a 1st round pick.

Reactions: derriko

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Side note;

Hailey is by far our best Sens media person right now.

She's asks the best questions and has solid takes.

Nice to have her as part of the Sens media team. The old crowd is becoming tiresomore.
Couldn’t agree more Re Hailey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad