Value of: Rickard Rakell

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You can't attach Russel to that pick and expect it to still hold any type of value. That's not a good deal for the Ducks. You would need another good piece added for the inclusion of Russel.

Well, it still has value because it’s the 14th overall pick. Of course attaching Russell makes it less enticing, but it’s not like the 14th pick has no value because you have to take a bad contract along with it.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Well, it still has value because it’s the 14th overall pick. Of course attaching Russell makes it less enticing, but it’s not like the 14th pick has no value because you have to take a bad contract along with it.

You can't attach a negative asset to a positive asset and say the positive asset still holds the same value. It doesnt really work that way...it's now attached to a negative asset which brings down its value. As a stand alone pick, yes, it technically still holds the value of the 14th overall. But, alas, that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You can't attach a negative asset to a positive asset and say the positive asset still holds the same value. It doesnt really work that way...it's now attached to a negative asset which brings down its value. As a stand alone pick, yes, it technically still holds the value of the 14th overall. But, alas, that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

No, but you said in your previous post that the pick held no value with Russell being attached. That’s what I disagree with. Of course I agree that attaching Russell makes it less attractive, but it doesn’t mean the pick holds no value. That’s all.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
No, but you said in your previous post that the pick held no value with Russell being attached. That’s what I disagree with. Of course I agree that attaching Russell makes it less attractive, but it doesn’t mean the pick holds no value. That’s all.

You're trying to separate the two, however. It doesn't work that way when discussing value.. If you're selling a $100 TV and I offer you $100, but along with the $100 you also have to pay my $90 debt, does the $100 still hold the same value? Technically, yes, but not when attached to the $90 debt. It essentially becomes $10 at that point. The two are attached, thus dropping its value.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
You're trying to separate the two, however. It doesn't work that way when discussing value.. If you're selling a $100 TV and I offer you $100, but along with the $100 you also have to pay my $90 debt, does the $100 still hold the same value? Technically, yes, but not when attached to the $90 debt. It essentially becomes $10 at that point. The two are attached, thus dropping its value.
Not sure why youre arguing with yourself.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What about something like

14th + Samorukov + Pulj + Russell
for
Rakell at 2.25

That would give you guys 2 mil to use towards upgrading other spots in your line up.
I don't hate it but I don't see a need to add to have Anaheim retain on what is a pretty sweet contract.

Edit: If 14 + Samo would be good enough that is. How is Max Jones tracking these days? Could be an add on to include JP in the deal without Russell, though I guess me not adding Russell is pretty stupid on my part. I'm gonna stop now haha.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
In previous threads some MTL fans were on board with 16th + Juulsen/Fleury. That's the kind of deal we'd be looking for.

I think the value is fair, but if I were the Habs I'd see about other options and circle back if he's still available.

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I would have preferred him on the Pens to Kapanen, so, in the hypothetical world where we didnt do that deal I would have offered our 2020 1st (15OA), Hallander for him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't hate it but I don't see a need to add to have Anaheim retain on what is a pretty sweet contract.

Edit: If 14 + Samo would be good enough that is. How is Max Jones tracking these days? Could be an add on to include JP in the deal without Russell, though I guess me not adding Russell is pretty stupid on my part. I'm gonna stop now haha.
Jones is a tough 1... when i see him at camps and stuff he just seems like a beast physically/skill wise.... but i feel he lacks a bit in the IQ department.... none the less his athletism and skill should make him an everyday nhl guy with slight upside. realistically i see him as a 3rd line energy guy thatll chip in offensively from time to time. I like to think he could become a Virtanen type player at some point... but who knows.

I dont mind that move at all.... i think Pulj is a good reclamation project for us to take on if we can... might be a potential good winger for zegras. Samo... is just more depth on our back end.

Rakell tends to play his best hockey vs the Oilers... so im sure you guys are more than familiar with what he brings to the table... but i think hed be an amazing fit on mcdavids wing... and i think jones could fit in nicely as a PK/energy guy.

Reactions: GOilers88

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
#16 (MTL) or #14 (Edmonton) is decent value.

#24 (COL) would need a decent add (2nd or good D prospect).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Another Habs offer:

16th + Struble + Fleury + Alzner + 2nd

for

Rakell

you get Struble + 2nd for taking Alzner.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Probably 3rd line, high energy, physical forward. He tends to get a decent number of chances, if he could convert more of them he might be a low end 2nd line forward, but more likely should be a solid 3rd liner.
I feel like he kinda leaves you wanting more... he creates space... and tough on forecheck and can generate chances out of no where.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
#16 (MTL) or #14 (Edmonton) is decent value.

#24 (COL) would need a decent add (2nd or good D prospect).
I think the colorado deal generally is talked about

24th + Timmins... but not sure its up there with oiler/Canadian offers.... i also dont know if colorado would bid higher as they have plenty of cap space to go sign a fa or take on a bigger contract... rakell is a lot more appealing to teams with cap issues trying to add a top 6(top line player)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Rakell + Jones

14 + Samo + JP
(+ capdump if necessary which I guess it would be)
Khaira/Chiasson/Russell all one year deals.

?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like he kinda leaves you wanting more... he creates space... and tough on forecheck and can generate chances out of no where.

Agreed, on any given night he generates more chances than any other player... and finishes fewer. If he could learn to finish more of those, he could be such a good player.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You can't attach Russel to that pick and expect it to still hold any type of value. That's not a good deal for the Ducks. You would need another good piece added for the inclusion of Russel.
You expect the 14th overall pick as compensation for a 1 year cap dump at 4m??? The guys making only 1.5m in real money and he’s a solid bottom pairing guy. Thats borderline positive value, we’d have to attach a mid to late pick if anything to ship him out lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00