Value of: Rickard Rakell

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You expect the 14th overall pick as compensation for a 1 year cap dump at 4m??? The guys making only 1.5m in real money and he’s a solid bottom pairing guy. Thats borderline positive value, we’d have to attach a mid to late pick if anything to ship him out lmao.

I think what he means is that other teams like the Habs are offering a similar pick plus positive value asset, while that poster was offering a negative value asset as the "+". Originally he said he would want the 14+ for Rakell, and someone responded with 14+Russell. I don't think anyone expects the 14th pick to dump him, but he also adds less than 0 value to the Ducks.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
You expect the 14th overall pick as compensation for a 1 year cap dump at 4m??? The guys making only 1.5m in real money and he’s a solid bottom pairing guy. Thats borderline positive value, we’d have to attach a mid to late pick if anything to ship him out lmao.

First off, I didn't propose anything in this thread, so I don't "expect" anything. However, the suggestion that Russell is an added value asset to this proposal is downright ridiculous. Rakell is arguably worth the 14th pick + on his own. See the Kapanen trade...Rakell is better than Kap. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's clear Russell was included as a cap dump. The Ducks don't need or want him, so what would the incentive be for them to take him?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I think what he means is that other teams like the Habs are offering a similar pick plus positive value asset, while that poster was offering a negative value asset as the "+". Originally he said he would want the 14+ for Rakell, and someone responded with 14+Russell. I don't think anyone expects the 14th pick to dump him, but he also adds less than 0 value to the Ducks.
Although I wasn't the one who said they'd want the 14th +, you basically summed everything up perfectly. He is worth 14 + and Russell most certainly isn't a plus.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
14 + Samorukov?

Not enough IMO.

Kapanen for Rakell straight-up.
#24 + Helleson (with maybe another smallish add).
14 overall + Russel

Terrible.

#16 (MTL) or #14 (Edmonton) is decent value.
#24 (COL) would need a decent add (2nd or good D prospect).

If Kapanen returns more than Rakell, ANA needs a new GM.

Timmins + 1st has been pretty popular previously.

Timmins' concussion history is too worrisome.

Jake Debrusk for Rakell.

I like DeBrusk but I don't think that's the right move for ANA.

Last edited:

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I admittedly maybe see Rakell play a few shifts a year, but, is he really going to generate a high 1st +.
He’s a guy with a goal scoring pedigree as long as he plays with a top center. He is also on a sweetheart contract if he rebounds to 30+ goals or paid fairly if he doesn’t. However, his last 2 seasons he has failed to score 20 goals, so I can’t imagine him generating these high 1st +. Maybe after a single down season like a Pacioretty, but even he had a cap dump in Tatar attached to him.
I could see a hockey trade with a pick attached to it(2nd) to entice the ducks to move a guy they don’t have to, but with a glut of young wingers coming up They could afford to move him for a center or a right d man. Something around one of Carolina’s extra d, or Montreal’s extra center kind of deal as opposed to purely futures

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Anything on the Isles roster fill a need for Ducks fans? Isles have major cap issues and Lou has his hands full. Always liked RR. Probably not going to happen, but always fun to discuss.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I admittedly maybe see Rakell play a few shifts a year, but, is he really going to generate a high 1st +.
He’s a guy with a goal scoring pedigree as long as he plays with a top center. He is also on a sweetheart contract if he rebounds to 30+ goals or paid fairly if he doesn’t. However, his last 2 seasons he has failed to score 20 goals, so I can’t imagine him generating these high 1st +. Maybe after a single down season like a Pacioretty, but even he had a cap dump in Tatar attached to him.
I could see a hockey trade with a pick attached to it(2nd) to entice the ducks to move a guy they don’t have to, but with a glut of young wingers coming up They could afford to move him for a center or a right d man. Something around one of Carolina’s extra d, or Montreal’s extra center kind of deal as opposed to purely futures

I don't see any "high 1st" being discussed in this thread. Rakell is in his mid 20s, has two 30 goal seasons under his belt and makes less than 4 million per. His numbers are indicative of his surroundings, the underlining numbers suggest he is still a quality top 6 winger. Yes he is easily worth the mid 1st + prospect offers being discussed, especially in this cap climate.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I don't see any "high 1st" being discussed in this thread. Rakell is in his mid 20s, has two 30 goal seasons under his belt and makes less than 4 million per. His numbers are indicative of his surroundings, the underlining numbers suggest he is still a quality top 6 winger. Yes he is easily worth the mid 1st + prospect offers being discussed, especially in this cap climate.
In this years draft anything inside 20 is going to get you a player interchangeable from 8-20, so these 14 or 16oa picks being offered most certainly are high picks.
Again, I’d liken his situation to the Pacioretty and to a lesser extent Stone and Kane Trades. Either a 1st or a good prospect + a low 2nd or mediocre prospect + a dump of sorts. Another comparable on the low end could even be the Toffoli deal, although he was a pending ufa. It just seems that teams aren’t willing to give up what hf posters seem to think their players are worth.
That being said, I hope he gets what you want for him, as he is a good player, and I liked him in his draft year

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
What would it take to get him to the Jackets?

Carolson (cbj top D prospect) + Bemstrom (young NHL player with big upside) + 3rd?

or

something centered around josh Anderson ++?

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not enough IMO.

Terrible.

If Kapanen returns more than Rakell, ANA needs a new GM.

Timmins' concussion history is too worrisome.

I like DeBrusk but I don't think that's the right move for ANA.

In essence, nothing anyone suggested has been good enough.

Perhaps your take on Rakell's value is inflated.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
In essence, nothing anyone suggested has been good enough.

Perhaps your take on Rakell's value is inflated.
I mean if you actually looked at the proposal they didn't like you would see those deals are either bad for us or just not worth while enough for us to move Rakell.

the 1st+samorukov is probably the best offer, but adding another LHD is the last thing this organization needs.
Rakell > Kapanen so that deal falls flat on it's face.
24th pick is way too low to be worth it.
Ducks don't need a cap dump in Russell added to the 14th pick, we like 5 bottom pairing Dmen already lol

Rakell should return more than Kapanen.

Timmins is too much of an injury concern to be a center piece, especially when we just traded away Kase who has similar injury concerns as Timmins.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Another Habs offer:

16th + Struble + Fleury + Alzner + 2nd

for

Rakell

you get Struble + 2nd for taking Alzner.
I'm not fond of dumping Struble to get rid of Alzner. It's not like we need the cap this year.

Struble is a beast. I'd like him and Fleury at #5-#6 in the future...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm not fond of dumping Struble to get rid of Alzner. It's not like we need the cap this year.

Struble is a beast. I'd like him and Fleury at #5-#6 in the future...

And where does Norlinder fit in? We would have Struble, Norlinder and Romanov on the left side.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
And where does Norlinder fit in? We would have Struble, Norlinder and Romanov on the left side.
That isn’t a bad problem to have. Toss Jordan Harris into the mix as well, healthy competition is a good thing . Also the odds suggest that only one of those four will even pan out while another will become a replacement level player

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You can't attach Russel to that pick and expect it to still hold any type of value. That's not a good deal for the Ducks. You would need another good piece added for the inclusion of Russel.

What a silly statement. The 14th OA remains a great pick regardless, and Russell is:

1. A legit NHL defensemen,
2. Has a cap hit of $4 Million and only $1.5 Million is real dollars and
3. Has only one year left on his contract.

Hardly a terrible burden you play him up to be.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean if you actually looked at the proposal they didn't like you would see those deals are either bad for us or just not worth while enough for us to move Rakell.

the 1st+samorukov is probably the best offer, but adding another LHD is the last thing this organization needs.
Rakell > Kapanen so that deal falls flat on it's face.
24th pick is way too low to be worth it.
Ducks don't need a cap dump in Russell added to the 14th pick, we like 5 bottom pairing Dmen already lol

Rakell should return more than Kapanen.

Timmins is too much of an injury concern to be a center piece, especially when we just traded away Kase who has similar injury concerns as Timmins.

What return seems reasonable to you?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What a silly statement. The 14th OA remains a great pick regardless, and Russell is:

1. A legit NHL defensemen,
2. Has a cap hit of $4 Million and only $1.5 Million is real dollars and
3. Has only one year left on his contract.

Hardly a terrible burden you play him up to be.
but he literally has no value to us. We have Larsson, Curran, Djoos, Guhle, Mahura, and Hakanpaa all as bottom pairing defensemen going into next season. So Russell only takes up a roster spot, blocking a younger defensemen from getting ice time, and adding cap to a team already with only $470k cap space. he may hold some value to other teams, but he holds no to negative value to us. not sure how this is some crazy concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->