Value of: Rickard Rakell

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
I wouldn’t do a 1st and Kravstov for Rakell... that said, Zegras is definitely the better prospect right now - hands down. That’s not to say Kravstov can’t become the better player down the road, but today, Zegras is a consensus better asset.
You’re going to be very disappointed then. I wouldn’t trade Kravtsov alone for Rakell

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You’re going to be very disappointed then. I wouldn’t trade Kravtsov alone for Rakell

Blake Coleman was just traded for a mid 1st and a 2019 first rounder. 28 year old Blake Coleman, with 1 year left before being a UFA, who is in the middle of his career year. That career year that is still worse then Rakell's 2 down years where he had played on a historically bad offensive team. All while Rakell is only 26 and signed for 2 more years.

In what world is Rakell not worth Kravtsov, who is not exactly burning the AHL down.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Blake Coleman was just traded for a mid 1st and a 2019 first rounder. 28 year old Blake Coleman, with 1 year left before being a UFA, who is in the middle of his career year. That career year that is still worse then Rakell's 2 down years where he had played on a historically bad offensive team. All while Rakell is only 26 and signed for 2 more years.

In what world is Rakell not worth Kravtsov, who is not exactly burning the AHL down.

To be fair... Coleman was acquired for 1.5 years so two playoff runs. If you don't think you're giving that next contract then it doesn't really matter if a guy is 26 or 28. Coleman also makes less. I think Rakell is def worth more, but not dramatically so.

Kravstov + 1st might be fair value for Rakell but it's not where I would spend my assets as the Rangers. If I'm trading those assets then I'd rather target a C or LD, but that's me. I'm not criticizing the value - moreso the need. I'd also like to see a bit more from Kravstov before I move him. Great D+1, and disappointing D+2 … not exactly selling high.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I'm a Ranger fan... I won't be disappointed at all.

Lol thats the second time he has said something like that to a non-ducks fan in this thread.

To be fair... Coleman was acquired for 1.5 years so two playoff runs. If you don't think you're giving that next contract then it doesn't really matter if a guy is 26 or 28. Coleman also makes less. I think Rakell is def worth more, but not dramatically so.

Kravstov + 1st might be fair value for Rakell but it's not where I would spend my assets as the Rangers. If I'm trading those assets then I'd rather target a C or LD, but that's me. I'm not criticizing the value - moreso the need. I'd also like to see a bit more from Kravstov before I move him. Great D+1, and disappointing D+2 … not exactly selling high.

I think thats fine if he doesn't fit the need the Rangers have. That's totally fair. I think a team like Edmonton has a need and would pay for that scoring winger.
Honestly Kravstov isn't a great fit at all for the Ducks. Russian and Winger.

Reactions: Barnaby

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I can understand that the Rangers may not be in a position to make that type of move, certainly the Ducks aren't going to moving their 1st and top prospects for short term gain right now. But if a team covets those two very affordable years of Rakell, it will take that type of package to gain the Ducks interest.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020

You keep bringing up the Coleman deal like it’s the norm. That’s the same GM who paid a 1st for Barclay Goodrow, so now would you say Deslauriers/Rowney are worth a 1st? Rakell is a good player but he’s not worth a prospect the level of Kravtsov. I think you can get the Stone return for him though of a 2nd+Brannstrom type

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Ducks should be working to re-sign Rakell.

Trading him when his values is lowest is not the greatest of ideas. Ducks haven't exactly had the greatest track record of devolving forwards nor signing them so trading one of the few that actually have worked out seems foolish to me.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
You keep bringing up the Coleman deal like it’s the norm. That’s the same GM who paid a 1st for Barclay Goodrow, so now would you say Deslauriers/Rowney are worth a 1st? Rakell is a good player but he’s not worth a prospect the level of Kravtsov. I think you can get the Stone return for him though of a 2nd+Brannstrom type

I haven't brought the Coleman deal once before that post, so how do I "keep bring up the Coleman deal like it's the norm"?
Obviously Coleman deal isn't the standard, but Rakell is worth more then Coleman for the multiple reasons I brought up before (age, contract, track record, production this year). So I don't think it is insane to look at that deal as the benchmark.

And I would WAY rather have Brannstrom + 2nd then Kravtsov. Brannstrom outproduced Kravstov in his draft+2 as a defensemen :laugh:.

Ducks should be working to re-sign Rakell.

Trading him when his values is lowest is not the greatest of ideas. Ducks haven't exactly had the greatest track record of devolving forwards nor signing them so trading one of the few that actually have worked out seems foolish to me.

I don't see the Ducks resigning Rakell. Can you imagine paying him 6-7 mil a year? Because thats what he will get on the open market.

Also, I don't think anyonne is suggesting they dump him for whatever they can get. A 1st+good prospect is a good return for Rakell IMO.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think it makes sense for the ducks to deal Rakell this summer. The longer they hold on to him the further his value will drop, and if they end up resigning him, he'd be relatively old by the time the Ducks were competing again.

Granted it'd be understandable if the ducks moved any core piece (Rakell, Lindholm, Fowler, Gibson, Getzlaf) they'd want to move them out out of conference (and especially out of the division).

Reactions: Richard88

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
He's good. I'd almost to be hesitant to put him in the deal because that might be an overpayment, but the Avs are kind of in a position where they can overpay for a player on a good contract because they only have so many forward spots available and a lot of guys knocking at the door. But ideally he isn't in this deal and a different prospect is (also except Annunen ;)). Think Helleson, Bowers or Kovalenko or something. Or include Zadorov and alter the deal a bit.

Anyway, Kaut is a good 2-way guy that wins board battles and has a good hockey IQ. He works hard and has a good shot. Likely tops out as a 2nd line winger but more likely a really solid 3rd liner that can play in all situations. If there's one knock it's his skating but he hasn't looked out of place at the NHL level and has performed quite well in fact. I'm a fan of his, but if we add Rakell there would only be room on the 4th line. Which would be amazing haha. I'd probably have the lines something like this:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichuskin - Kadri - Burakovsky
Rakell - Compher - Donskoi
Namestnikov - Bellemare - Calvert
(Kaut), Bowers, O'Connor

Before I get flack for that 2nd line, they were playing extremely well before the break and injuries. Plus Rakell really boosts the skill on that 3rd line and wouldn't be there all year. But sign me up for these forwards.
You don’t trade for Rakel to put him on the 3rd line. Nichuskin isn’t half the player as Rakel.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Would Ducks accept Timmins + 1st from Colorado, for Rakell?

Seems like fair value. It would be tough to let Timmins go, but Rakell would look really good next to Nate and Mikko, or Kadri on the second line.

One X factor would be Martin Kaut. Do the Avs expect him to play on the team next year? And would they be willing to make a corresponding move, if the answer is yes?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Seems like fair value. It would be tough to let Timmins go, but Rakell would look really good next to Nate and Mikko, or Kadri on the second line.

One X factor would be Martin Kaut. Do the Avs expect him to play on the team next year? And would they be willing to make a corresponding move, if the answer is yes?
I believe Kaut is pencilled in to join the team next season. He played well in his 9 games this year and would provide good value cap-wise on an ELC.

Whatever the case with Kaut, a legit top 6 winger is a need for the Avs, and most of the unused capspace should be available for precisely that position. Internally there are several guys in contention for the 2nd line winger role, but realistically most of them are 3rd liners or "middle sixers" rather than a legit top 6 forward.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
________ ----- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ----- Compher ------ Donskoi
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Kaut

Nieto and Wilson will probably be allowed to leave in UFA. That will leave Jost (RFA) and Namestnikov (UFA) as the top candidates internally for the 2nd line wing spot. Another alternative would be to bump Donskoi/Nichuskin up and use O'Connor or Kamenev on the 4th line. Either way there's a decision to be made.

As shown below the defense looks quite easy to project (barring any unlikely moves like signing Pietrangelo), and so there will be at least $5-7m in capspace to use on that 2nd line forward spot after all other movement is taken care of (i.e. resigning Burakovsky, Graves, trading Zadorov, etc).

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole 2020-21 / Timmins 2021-onwards
7D

Going forward we'll need to sign Makar, Landeskog, and Grubauer in 2021, but that should easily be doable once the likes of Cole ($4.25m) and Calvert ($2.85m) are replaced in 2021 by Timmins and Bowers/Newhook on ELC's.

The ideal situation would be to bring in a quality forward who's signed for under $7m on a 2-3 year contract (2020-2023). That said, Colorado has more than enough space to accomodate a $5m+ forward, so perhaps they won't put as much value on Rakell's low contract as other teams would, and so the prices for other top 6 alternatives (eg. Killorn) might be more attractive via trade, as Colorado don't really need that winger to be an extremely low caphit (though that is always welcome!).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I believe Kaut is pencilled in to join the team next season. He played well in his 9 games this year and would provide good value cap-wise on an ELC.

Whatever the case with Kaut, a legit top 6 winger is a need for the Avs, and most of the unused capspace should be available for precisely that position. Internally there are several guys in contention for the 2nd line winger role, but realistically most of them are 3rd liners or "middle sixers" rather than a legit top 6 forward.

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
________ ----- Kadri --------- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ----- Compher ------ Donskoi
Calvert -------- Bellemare ------ Kaut

Nieto and Wilson will probably be allowed to leave in UFA. That will leave Jost (RFA) and Namestnikov (UFA) as the top candidates internally for the 2nd line wing spot. Another alternative would be to bump Donskoi/Nichuskin up and use O'Connor or Kamenev on the 4th line. Either way there's a decision to be made.

As shown below the defense looks quite easy to project (barring any unlikely moves like signing Pietrangelo), and so there will be at least $5-7m in capspace to use on that 2nd line forward spot after all other movement is taken care of (i.e. resigning Burakovsky, Graves, trading Zadorov, etc).

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- Cole 2020-21 / Timmins 2021-onwards
7D

Going forward we'll need to sign Makar, Landeskog, and Grubauer in 2021, but that should easily be doable once the likes of Cole ($4.25m) and Calvert ($2.85m) are replaced in 2021 by Timmins and Bowers/Newhook on ELC's.

The ideal situation would be to bring in a quality forward who's signed for under $7m on a 2-3 year contract (2020-2023). That said, Colorado has more than enough space to accomodate a $5m+ forward, so perhaps they won't put as much value on Rakell's low contract as other teams would, and so the prices for other top 6 alternatives (eg. Killorn) might be more attractive via trade, as Colorado don't really need that winger to be an extremely low caphit (though that is always welcome!).

I think I’d probably prefer Kaut to play in the AHL if he’s not getting minutes on the 3rd line. Maybe LOC slides into that 4th line right-wing spot.

I definitely agree adding a guy like Rakell would be big for our top-6.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think I’d probably prefer Kaut to play in the AHL if he’s not getting minutes on the 3rd line. Maybe LOC slides into that 4th line right-wing spot.

I definitely agree adding a guy like Rakell would be big for our top-6.
Good point about minutes, though I think that with injuries he'd likely get more than a typical 4th liner. Bednar tends to keep the bottom 9 line combos fairly interchangeable, and he may also see some time on PP2 as the right hand shot from the left halfboards (unless Rakell is added in which case that would likely be Rakell's PP role).

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Sundin92

Jan 25, 2020
I see a lot of giant offers in here. Unless you're a legit contender I don't think it'd be wise for teams to trade the farm for him. He only has 2 years left on the sweetheart deal.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I see a lot of giant offers in here. Unless you're a legit contender I don't think it'd be wise for teams to trade the farm for him. He only has 2 years left on the sweetheart deal.
It makes most sense for contenders with closing windows to make a move for him. For example, teams like Pittsburgh or Washington where Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby are in their last years. Maybe Dallas too before Pavelski/Benn/Seguin/etc get too old, though Anaheim might want to avoid trading within the conference.

He'd obviously be a great fit for Colorado too, but I think others teams like those mentioned above would be likely to outbid Colorado to their greater need to go all-in sooner.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I wouldn’t like trading a package including Timmins for Rakell. Value might be there or close to but Timmins is the closest NHL ready RHD we have. What happens if Makar, Girard or EJ (named two RHD) gets hurt we would be back at having a terrible dcore probably close to what the Avs iced against the Preds in the playoffs. At least when some of our forwards are hurt we’re fine and even without Rakell we’re still one of the highest scoring team but that’s me though. Maybe if we can acquire a guy like Pietrangelo as a FA I would be fine giving up Timmins :sarcasm:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wouldn’t like trading a package including Timmins for Rakell. Value might be there or close to but Timmins is the closest NHL ready RHD we have. What happens if Makar, Girard or EJ (named two RHD) gets hurt we would be back at having a terrible dcore probably close to what the Avs iced against the Preds in the playoffs. At least when some of our forwards are hurt we’re fine and even without Rakell we’re still one of the highest scoring team but that’s me though. Maybe if we can acquire a guy like Pietrangelo as a FA I would be fine giving up Timmins :sarcasm:
I agree. I'm extremely hesitant to trade Timmins, and the only circumstance I'd seriously consider it is if we were to acquire another really good RHD which would obviously make Timmins expendable.

Reactions: Spilot23

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Makes complete sense. Leaf bois have opportunity to lose. I don't think anyone who is beeng it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad