Value of: Rickard Rakell

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The Ducks should require a king's ransom for Rakell at that cap hit. He's signed at 3.7M for crying out loud!

I'm thinking the return from the Coleman trade + another piece, or at least an upgrade to the prospect offered.

Avs: 1st + Newhook or 1st + Jost + Kaut
Canes: 1st + Suzuki
Rangers: 1st + Kravstov
Flyers: 1st + Frost

None of these fanbases are going to like these trades, but that's because you'd be trying to trade for a young, 30-goal scorer for under 4M for 2 years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Ducks should require a king's ransom for Rakell at that cap hit. He's signed at 3.7M for crying out loud!

I'm thinking the return from the Coleman trade + another piece, or at least an upgrade to the prospect offered.

None of these fanbases are going to like these trades, but that's because you'd be trying to trade for a young, 30-goal scorer for under 4M for 2 years.

While Rakell is still on a bargain deal, it's worth noting that he hasn't been a 30 goal scorer since '17-'18 (hasn't cracked 20 either, tbh), and any team acquiring him would have to use up a protection spot on him in the summer of 2021.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

THAT IS AN OVERPAYMENT FROM THE AVS

Avs wouldnt trade Newhook straight up for him nevertheless include a 1st rd pick. So far Kaut has looked good so and with him being on the ELC and exempt from draft he will be staying as most of our 3rd/4th liners expire in a year.

Pretty sure the only thing the Avs will trade:

Zadarov, B level Prospect, conditional 1st rd pick. Sakic is stingy with 1st rd picks, loves to trade 2nds though lol.

Zadarov doesnt have a place here as it seems. Fan favorite though.
Sakic is high on Jost so not sure if he will trade him since he is a RFA.

But I dont see Newhook, Byram, Kaut, Timmins getting traded

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
How about Rakell to CBJ for their 1st (15th overall), Anderson, and a prospect like Hjorth? It would allow the ducks to reset and draft a scorer like Quinn/Mysak/Zary if they are able to nab a Drysdale with their pick. Anderson can play that power forward role that Ritchie was supposed to fill, and if it doesn’t work out and he doesn’t recover physically, he can be a trade chip at the trade deadline. CBJ can get a scorer in his prime at a cheap price since losing Panarin, and if it doesn’t work out they can recoup by trading him in his last year of his contract for a 1st and propect, or similar Pageau return.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
THAT IS AN OVERPAYMENT FROM THE AVS

Avs wouldnt trade Newhook straight up for him nevertheless include a 1st rd pick. So far Kaut has looked good so and with him being on the ELC and exempt from draft he will be staying as most of our 3rd/4th liners expire in a year.

Pretty sure the only thing the Avs will trade:

Zadarov, B level Prospect, conditional 1st rd pick. Sakic is stingy with 1st rd picks, loves to trade 2nds though lol.

Zadarov doesnt have a place here as it seems. Fan favorite though.
Sakic is high on Jost so not sure if he will trade him since he is a RFA.

But I dont see Newhook, Byram, Kaut, Timmins getting traded

The Ducks are probably the worst fit you could come up with for Zadorov, just don't see them coveting him at all. Set for LHD and defensive types, if they are targetting a D in a big move like this it would be someone who fits a need for offense/PP ability.

Also there's the whole issue of the Ducks completely avoiding Russians during Murray's entire tenure as GM. At this point it's highly unlikely that he's going to break that decade(+) long trend by bringing in an RFA who doesn't fit any need.

If all those prospects are actually off the table than there's little chance of the Avs making the best offer for Rakell, or one strong enough to get him.

Any notion that the Ducks would accept less than the Coleman or Zucker returns should be double bagged and left at the curb. There's nothing forcing the Ducks to make a move unless they are offered some very nice young pieces.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020

Lmaoo you’re not getting a first+Kravtsov or any of those for Rakell. Rangers offer 1st+Howden+Hajek/Rykov. Would you trade 1st+Zegras for Rakell? Seriously

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
That's a big haul, you sure?
I think Broberg will surprise people, but it's going to be a couple years at least.

Bro and a 1st to throw Rakell on McDavids wing is worth it in my opinion. Instantly gives the Oilers a deadly top 6.

That said, I think it's a safe assumption to say that Broberg is the last player Holland will move at this point. At least until he plays for the big club, and I wouldn't part with Bouchard.

The only other alternative I could think of would be Samorukov + picks, but I doubt Anaheim would go for that.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Lmaoo you’re not getting a first+Kravtsov or any of those for Rakell. Rangers offer 1st+Howden+Hajek/Rykov. Would you trade 1st+Zegras for Rakell? Seriously

Just a heads up, that isn't a Ducks fan. That is a Kings fan who thinks Rakell is that valuable.

Also, the Ducks 1st is at 5th right now. The Rangers is at 23. And Zegras>Kravtsov. So no I wouldn't trade a 1st + Zegras for Rakell, but that is a terrible comparison to 1st + Kravstov.
I doubt the Ducks break their 2 decade long anti-russian run now, so this is a non-starter.

I think Broberg will surprise people, but it's going to be a couple years at least.

Bro and a 1st to throw Rakell on McDavids wing is worth it in my opinion. Instantly gives the Oilers a deadly top 6.

That said, I think it's a safe assumption to say that Broberg is the last player Holland will move at this point. At least until he plays for the big club, and I wouldn't part with Bouchard.

The only other alternative I could think of would be Samorukov + picks, but I doubt Anaheim would go for that.

There were rumors the Ducks were looking to take him at 9th last year so maybe this is a perfect fit /shrug.

I would rather have the right handed Bouchard personally.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just a heads up, that isn't a Ducks fan. That is a Kings fan who thinks Rakell is that valuable.

Also, the Ducks 1st is at 5th right now. The Rangers is at 23. And Zegras>Kravtsov. So no I wouldn't trade a 1st + Zegras for Rakell, but that is a terrible comparison to 1st + Kravstov.
I doubt the Ducks break their 2 decade long anti-russian run now, so this is a non-starter.

There were rumors the Ducks were looking to take him at 9th last year so maybe this is a perfect fit /shrug.

Where did you get NYR pick at 23? Were you looking at their 2nd first round pick from Leafs/Canes? I guess the original post wasn't specific with the poster just saying Rangers 1st.

Last edited:

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020

Zegras really isn’t that much better than Kravtsov. Kravtsov had a better D+1 than him as well. Both 9 OV as well. Kravtsov and Zegras are pretty equivalent

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

There's daylight in between Kravstov and Zegras, as of now they're not as comparable as you make them out to be (Pronman ranked the latter 25th and the former 1st in terms of prospects outside the NHL). I'm not a Ducks fan and I can say that.

Part of the reason I listed those proposals is to emphasize the point that Rakell's value is unique because of how absurdly low his cap hit is.

Reactions: Sam Steel

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Where did you get NYR pick at 23? Were you looking at their 2nd first round pick from Leafs/Canes? I guess the original post wasn't specific with the poser just saying Rangers 1st.

Woops! Ya I was looking at Carolina's pick. Still 5 to 13 is a significant difference.

Zegras really isn’t that much better than Kravtsov. Kravtsov had a better D+1 than him as well. Both 9 OV as well. Kravtsov and Zegras are pretty equivalent

I disagree. Zegras dominated at the WJC. I don't actually put much value in his college point totals since his team is pretty terrible and he still was over PPG.

You're also ignoring that Kravtsov didn't exactly have a great D+2 season. If Zegras only scores 15 points in 39 AHL games next year I would be very disappointed.

Ishtabeat

Mar 19, 2020
There's daylight in between Kravstov and Zegras, as of now they're not as comparable as you make them out to be (Pronman ranked the latter 25th and the former 1st in terms of prospects outside the NHL). I'm not a Ducks fan and I can say that.

Part of the reason I listed those proposals is to emphasize the point that Rakell's value is unique because of how absurdly low his cap hit is.
Hes valuable sure but he’s not worth anything you proposed

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hes valuable sure but he’s not worth anything you proposed

I wouldn’t do a 1st and Kravstov for Rakell... that said, Zegras is definitely the better prospect right now - hands down. That’s not to say Kravstov can’t become the better player down the road, but today, Zegras is a consensus better asset.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
2020 Toronto 1st
Keane
Bokk

?
Id do that

Keane is a posistion of weakness... idk how his upside is but we def need to add some rhd in our system.

I liked bokk in his draft year, was hopin we grabbed him.

And the 1st should land in the 20 area. Puts us in a good spot to grab schnieder/quin/barron or lapierre... or a potential faller.

Wouldnt mind us getting stutzle and peterka... and throw out

Comtois zegras ______(potentially terry if he pans out)
Bokk stutzle peterka

In a few years

Trading rakell puts us as a contender for top 3 pick next year too

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

All fair notes... i think rakell would be a great add for oil... but idk that they could part with what it would cost, and i dont blame em for that.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

He's valuable, but let's be realistic. High end prospects VERY rarely get dealt and he hasn't hit 20 goals and barely hit 40 points the last two years. If you want to prorate it... to say he should hit 22-25 goals and 50 points is realistic. I think he gets more than Coleman or Zucker, but not that much more. I don't think you get Newhook, Frost, or Kravstov in a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->