Rickard Rakell

duxfever

Mar 29, 2009
Orange, CA
Ya, they both sucked...I'm not debating that. I have a problem with the amount of criticism he is receiving, (which is more than anyone on the team) yet I was one of few complaining about Koivu the last two years, who for some reason received a pass.

It's because he is a veteran. Koivu has had success in the past so people just chalk up a bad playoffs to a bump in the road.

When a player like Rakell, who has not done it in the past nor done anything real noteworthy for the team, fails, it's easy to pin the blame on them and chalk it up to the player not being good enough.

That's a common thing for young players since they do not have anything to lean on. The hope is people actually give them another chance to perform instead of just writing them off as a playoff bust and the reason we lost.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Ya, they both sucked...I'm not debating that. I have a problem with the amount of criticism he is receiving, (which is more than anyone on the team) yet I was one of few complaining about Koivu the last two years, who for some reason received a pass.
I'm trying to stay out of this, but I'll add that I think Rakell only seems to be getting a lot of criticism because there's a lot of pushback to it, so this debate is just cycling.

DaDucks*

Koivu never got a pass. He received plenty of criticism. Just because it wasn't enough for you doesn't mean it wasn't there. There was also a general acceptance that he had a tough responsibility. Believe it or not, that matters.

Rakell, on the other hand, had minimal responsibilities, favorable match ups, and he did **** all. Name me an Anaheim player who was worse than Rakell over the 3 rounds of playoff hockey. That may have something to do with the criticism he has received.

agree to disagree there.

DaDucks*

I'm trying to stay out of this, but I'll add that I think Rakell only seems to be getting a lot of criticism because there's a lot of pushback to it, so this debate is just cycling.

Hmmm.. no.. most of the push back is around his face off philosophy and work ethic, everything else involving his name has been an abundance of criticism.

DaDucks*

It's because he is a veteran. Koivu has had success in the past so people just chalk up a bad playoffs to a bump in the road.

When a player like Rakell, who has not done it in the past nor done anything real noteworthy for the team, fails, it's easy to pin the blame on them and chalk it up to the player not being good enough.

That's a common thing for young players since they do not have anything to lean on. The hope is people actually give them another chance to perform instead of just writing them off as a playoff bust and the reason we lost.

this is correct. I had some hopes when I posted Saku's playoff numbers it might open some eyes, but it doesn't seem like it. You would think most criticism would lay at the feet of veterans and leaders. For some reason our board is the exception to every other fan base.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Hmmm.. no.. most of the push back is around his face off philosophy and work ethic, everything else involving his name has been an abundance of criticism.
I think the pushback has morphed into a general defense of every criticism. And I think we should definitely have a meta argument about arguments, and use the word pushback a lot.

DaDucks*

I think the pushback has morphed into a general defense of every criticism. And I think we should definitely have a meta argument about arguments, and use the word pushback a lot.

I'm up for everything and anything at this point.

balotelli_celebration.gif

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
this is correct. I had some hopes when I posted Saku's playoff numbers it might open some eyes, but it doesn't seem like it. You would think most criticism would lay at the feet of veterans and leaders. For some reason our board is the exception to every other fan base.

And I had hopes that you might start paying attention to the argument that Koivu had much heavier responsibilities, and was asked to play a more defensive role. Instead, you keep focusing on the points, while completely ignoring the fact that Rakell had much, much softer defensive responsibilities.

Your argument basically amounts to sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring everything that doesn't support your argument. Defense? Roles and responsibilities? Irrelevant. His point totals are the only thing that matter here. Pay no attention to the fact that Rakell was getting much easier competition, and was in a depth scoring role. Oh no, that doesn't matter because Koivu's point total! Look at it, everyone!

Do you realize that you haven't actually made a logical argument to dispute what people have said? You simply regurgitate the same point argument, and... what? Hope people don't realize?

DaDucks*

And I had hopes that you might start paying attention to the argument that Koivu had much heavier responsibilities, and was asked to play a more defensive role. Instead, you keep focusing on the points, while completely ignoring the fact that Rakell had much, much softer defensive responsibilities.

Your argument basically amounts to sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring everything that doesn't support your argument. Defense? Roles and responsibilities? Irrelevant. His point totals are the only thing that matter here. Pay no attention to the fact that Rakell was getting much easier competition, and was in a depth scoring role. Oh no, that doesn't matter because Koivu's point total! Look at it, everyone!

Do you realize that you haven't actually made a logical argument to dispute what people have said? You simply regurgitate the same point argument, and... what? Hope people don't realize?

You're all over the place. This isn't a Rakell vs Koivu thing straight up, this is yeah, Rakell was bad, and demoted, but check this out, Saku's line amounted to absolutely nothing in multiple playoff years in a bigger role. Chicago's shutdown lines kicked in points, which was the biggest factor in the series. You're going to have to let go of the past at some point Soj, we're here to catch you.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You're all over the place. This isn't a Rakell vs Koivu thing straight up, this is yeah, Rakell was bad, and demoted, but check this out, Saku's line amounted to absolutely nothing in multiple playoff years in a bigger role. Chicago's shutdown lines kicked in points, which was the biggest factor in the series. You're going to have to let go of the past at some point Soj, we're here to catch you.

If you think that's all over the place, you haven't been paying attention. I've been very consistent with my points.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Go back and watch that Kings series over again if you think Koivu was getting unfair criticism. Holy hell, he was worse than Rakell out there last year. The center version of what Kimmo Timonen was for the Blackhawks against us. I remember one play in particular where Jeff Carter literally took the puck right from Koivu like it was nothing while Koivu was at his own blueline. Led directly to a goal.

They were both awful. Rakell at least has a chance to get better though.

The pathetic version of Saku Koivu that was rolled over the boards last year would have gotten ragdolled in any kind of role. Great career, but the guy was even more done than Teemu in that LA series. I'm serious, go back and watch it if you think I'm embelishing. I tortured myself into watching that whole series over again. It was bad,

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Rakell wasn’t great in the playoffs. But neither was Koivu last year. Regardless whether or not the criticism is fair, I find it sad that there are so many turncoats (not sure that’s the right word, but you get what I mean) around here. We get too high/low when our players do good/bad.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What is Rakells offensive upside? And could he be a 2nd line Center?

I'm not an NHL scout but I would say he could top out around 50-55 points and if all goes well he could be a decent 2C. He's more likely to rack up assists than goals as he doesn't have a great shot at this point. Unbelievable hands though.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I'm not an NHL scout but I would say he could top out around 50-55 points and if all goes well he could be a decent 2C. He's more likely to rack up assists than goals as he doesn't have a great shot at this point. Unbelievable hands though.

I agree with this. Especially if he learns to slow the game down and see the ice a little better. He has a lot of talent and is still getting stronger as an athlete.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

60 points, 100 give aways.

Last edited:

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Damn is he bulking up or what

https://instagram.com/p/5KawePvDgU/

He looks bigger to me. As he will get bigger and stronger he will be able to do more things with the puck - good
Wow, yeah looks like Ricky's been putting some solid gym time in.

Hoping he can get some more consistent scoring going this coming season, even if just in the assists department. If they roll a Sekac-Rakell-Stewart line I could see some greasy goals coming off that forecheck.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Wow, yeah looks like Ricky's been putting some solid gym time in.

Hoping he can get some more consistent scoring going this coming season, even if just in the assists department. If they roll a Sekac-Rakell-Stewart line I could see some greasy goals coming off that forecheck.

What's really impressive is the fact that he shouldn't be very far into his weight-training program so he might have a lot more mass left to go. The season ended six and a half weeks ago and hockey players are supposed to take three or four week off and just recuperate. They spend that time either doing nothing or a lot of stretching and therapy work. At the most he's probably only been doing strength-training for like three weeks. That's nuts. Players tend to lose a lot of muscle mass at the end of the season, even more so after a long playoff run. I'm really encouraged by how big he appears to be getting.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wonder how much of an influence Kesler (his work ethic) have given to Rakell.

Also - as he will gain strenght i wonder how much his FO game could improve, i hope it will. In juniors he was regarded as someone who can take important faceoffs. Some players (like Kesler, actually, and Spezza who are both really good in faceoffs) are taking some seasoning before becoming very good in that area.

PS

I remember 2 offseasons ago in the summer Rakell posted a photo of him and like 10 hotdogs. Now it`s him in the gym. :laugh:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rakell training with the weight vest along with Landeskog, Oduya, (can`t recognise the rest). Damn either he has started to post certain type of pictures or he will be a lot stronger upcoming season. It could be BIG for him. And us.

https://instagram.com/p/6fvGz-vDt5/

I think the smarts have always been there for him, he just has lacked some strenght and skill. Although even his skill is not that bad.

In other news: i`m getting hyped for Rakell`s upcoming season based on 2 instagram pictures. Damn, the season needs to start.:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad