Value of: Rickard Rakell at the draft

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Saying he’s more physical and better defensively without numbers is completely subjective, anyone can say that.

Zucker is in fact extremely defensively responsible and doesn’t shy away from the corners. If you watched him you’d see he’s no different than Rakell.

He’s 1.5m cheaper sure, but Zucker doesn’t have the lengthy injury history Rakell has I would argue that off sets the difference.

Good points, especially with the injuries. Zucker is rock solid there. You’re right, they are of similar value. I stand corrected, with the caveat that Rakell’s unusually low cap hit might bring back a bigger return from a cap strapped contender.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Saying he’s more physical and better defensively without numbers is completely subjective, anyone can say that.

Zucker is in fact extremely defensively responsible and doesn’t shy away from the corners. If you watched him you’d see he’s no different than Rakell.

He’s 1.5m cheaper sure, but Zucker doesn’t have the lengthy injury history Rakell has I would argue that off sets the difference.

Plus the biggest offset was the years of control. We got 4 Cups runs with Zucker compared to only someone getting 2 with Rakell. I still think they could get more just because Rutherford did very well in that trade when compared to lesser players like Coleman, Pageau, and Kase.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I would think Rakell is viewed as one of the most valuable player for the Ducks but also someone Murray is disappointed in the most. I would expect he would get a really big return but based on Bobs trades in the past few years I think he would just want any first round pick (because he is infatuated with that) and a B- rated prospect. I can see a team like the Devils or Senators giving their lowest of their 3 1st round picks and low end prospect. NJD would probably be ok giving their lowest 1st and a guy like Bastian or underachiever in McLeod. OTT would probably give their lowest 1st and Colin White or Chlapik, and probably wouldn’t budge on Formenton, Balcers, or better prospect which they have a bunch of (they seriously have a lot: Brannstrom, Bratherson, Gruden, Norris, Brown, Pinto, Lassi... plus two really high 1st this year... crazy)

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I would think Rakell is viewed as one of the most valuable player for the Ducks but also someone Murray is disappointed in the most. I would expect he would get a really big return but based on Bobs trades in the past few years I think he would just want any first round pick (because he is infatuated with that) and a B- rated prospect. I can see a team like the Devils or Senators giving their lowest of their 3 1st round picks and low end prospect. NJD would probably be ok giving their lowest 1st and a guy like Bastian or underachiever in McLeod. OTT would probably give their lowest 1st and Colin White or Chlapik, and probably wouldn’t budge on Formenton, Balcers, or better prospect which they have a bunch of (they seriously have a lot: Brannstrom, Bratherson, Gruden, Norris, Brown, Pinto, Lassi... plus two really high 1st this year... crazy)
I think if Murray was willing to take that, Rakell would be off the team already.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
He displayed this “higher” ceiling while playing with prime Getzlaf. And when Getz started to decline so did Rakell’s numbers.

Wait until Zucker gets a full season with Sid and then come talk to me about the higher ceiling.
I mean, first line players play with first line players. They are usually pretty good.

We'll see what Zucker produces, I'm sure he will do well. I'm not sure what effect that will have on Rakell's value.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
For strictly a 1st, probs a ~12-15 pick
So the Sens get a get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a signed Jean-Gabriel Pageau at $6M (who’s scored a career high of 41 points this year), but Rakell is only worth a 1st rounder in the 12-15 variety?

Makes sense.

Reactions: Spazkat

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s almost as if because he plays for a small market west coast team that isn’t any good, folks here completely underestimate Rackell value since they never actually watch him play.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So the Sens get a get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for a signed Jean-Gabriel Pageau at $6M (who’s scored a career high of 41 points this year), but Rakell is only worth a 1st rounder in the 12-15 variety?

Makes sense.

Yes, that just about sounds like what the cost would be to move up from a mid-2os pick to a ~12-15

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
He displayed this “higher” ceiling while playing with prime Getzlaf. And when Getz started to decline so did Rakell’s numbers.

Wait until Zucker gets a full season with Sid and then come talk to me about the higher ceiling.

"Who cares what Rakell has actually done, look at what Zucker MIGHT do!" About what I'd expect from a guy that uses "lmaoooo" in his responses.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
"Who cares what Rakell has actually done, look at what Zucker MIGHT do!" About what I'd expect from a guy that uses "lmaoooo" in his responses.
Because what Rakell “has actually done” isn’t that impressive when you consider he rode shotgun to one of the better centers in the game during his prime years.

Zucker and Rakell have similar career statistics and Zucker has never had the benefit of playing with a center nearly as good as Getz, until now.

But hey, way to contribute absolutely nothing to the debate. Good job, chief.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rakell & Manson for Marner in offseason.
If you guys hate that contract how do you think the ducks would feel paying that?

I feel like something around rakell+ for nylander could be talked about, as it allows toronto to shed some cap to use towards defense.

Rakell + manson
For
Nylander + liljegren

Would possibly be close

Reactions: d0rkwing

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
id do

1st + timmins + jost
or
1st + bowers + helleson

with something coming back from Anaheim.
Our right side is much thinner than the left (I am higher on Helleson than some of my fellow fans, I think he's gonna be goood), so I'd probably go for the 2nd one and keep Timmins even though I've been tooting the trade Jost horn for a while. Can we get back a c-level center prospect (in this case, Bowers is a b-level center) back?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Our right side is much thinner than the left (I am higher on Helleson than some of my fellow fans, I think he's gonna be goood), so I'd probably go for the 2nd one and keep Timmins even though I've been tooting the trade Jost horn for a while. Can we get back a c-level center prospect (in this case, Bowers is a b-level center) back?
Ya I like Helleson and think he could turn into a solid match up guy.

Um I prob wouldn't mind, just depends on the C prospect... I imagine it would be between Groulx/Morand/dotsie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
These prospects have nowhere close to the same value
Yes I know that, those were the only 3 centers in our prospect pool id consider tradable assets... groulx being more of B guy than a C guy... and morand/dotsie being C prospects.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Because what Rakell “has actually done” isn’t that impressive when you consider he rode shotgun to one of the better centers in the game during his prime years.

Zucker and Rakell have similar career statistics and Zucker has never had the benefit of playing with a center nearly as good as Getz, until now.

But hey, way to contribute absolutely nothing to the debate. Good job, chief.

Doesn't change the fact you're downplaying Rakell because of who he played with and pumping Zucker on an unknown future.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Where is the Rakell lengthy injury history narrative coming from? Rakell hasn't been particularly injury prone. He had an emergency appendectomy and then a subsequent surgery for scar tissue. Beyond that, he's missed a few games here and there with normal hockey injuries. In contrast, Zucker had in-season surgery three months ago for a broken leg and has also missed time with two concussions. I really don't see much of a difference between the two players on injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad