Value of: Rickard Rakell at the draft

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Ducks have retooled the depth of our roster but have been hesitant to trade from the core because we would prefer to retool quickly instead of going full rebuild. I think this could change in the offseason however, and if we do decide to shake up the core, I think Rakell would be the most likely player to go.

What would you offer for 2 seasons of Rakell at $3.8M AAV?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I know I should but I know nothing about Rakell other than his numbers look pretty good and he used to be a hyped future. Don't see enough of the Ducks to really gauge him though. Is he more of a 2nd liner at this point? What kind of game does he play - what type of center would he fit best with?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the Ducks can't get back a 1st+top prospect they're better off keeping him. On a good team with top 6 minutes he's a 30 goal scorer on a steal of a contract for 2 more years.

Yeah this, I think he is playing hurt, had a wrist injury earlier this year. With talent like Zegras coming up next season, and who knows who they land in the draft, gotta keep the goal scorers in the line up. Would prefer to give him one more season to turn it around before shipping him out, will still have one more year left so won't just be a rental at the next TDL.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Brendan Smith at full cap hit + later 1st round pick Rangers have (the later of the Hurricanes/Maple Leafs pick, likely 20-28 range)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
As MTL I would spend a 2021 1st + 2020 2nd or 3rd + prospect. Golden contract for a very good player who would be very good paired with Domi in my opinion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Does Murray have the authorization from his owner to do a rebuild? He’s been the GM for a decade now. Two WCF but he’s the one who saw this team decline since 2017 and he handed out some bad contracts that cost him in the LV ED. Plus held onto Carlyle for an extra year.

he has a couple of really good support players up front.

if the expectation is that they don’t extend him when he’s UFA then what can he do for the club and what can the club accomplish in that time frame?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Gotta replace Zadorov, he's the furthest thing from being a good fit for Anaheim.

Hmmm. I figured especially with the talk of big changes and Murray being not thrilled with the play of his core guys that a couple Dmen could be on the way out this summer as well, whereby Zadorov would be a solid replacement.

But ok, what kind of piece would you be looking for. FTR the expectation amongst Avs fans is we move Zadorov at the draft and believe him to roughly be worth a 2nd + 3rd round pick.

What about Tyson Jost as a Forward replacement for Rakell. Or a B level prospect that's close to NHL ready like Shane Bowers or Martin Kaut? Not sure if Kaut turns out to be available especially if he continues to show real well at the NHL level the next couple of weeks.

But I think Rakell is a great fit for Colorado and given we'd get 2 runs with him makes the fit even better.

I'd compare a Rakell trade to the Brayden Schenn draft day trade from 2 years ago which was a 1st + 1st + Sort of Cap dump but useful player in Lehtera.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hmmm. I figured especially with the talk of big changes and Murray being not thrilled with the play of his core guys that a couple Dmen could be on the way out this summer as well, whereby Zadorov would be a solid replacement.

But ok, what kind of piece would you be looking for. FTR the expectation amongst Avs fans is we move Zadorov at the draft and believe him to roughly be worth a 2nd + 3rd round pick.

What about Tyson Jost as a Forward replacement for Rakell. Or a B level prospect that's close to NHL ready like Shane Bowers or Martin Kaut? Not sure if Kaut turns out to be available especially if he continues to show real well at the NHL level the next couple of weeks.

But I think Rakell is a great fit for Colorado and given we'd get 2 runs with him makes the fit even better.

I'd compare a Rakell trade to the Brayden Schenn draft day trade from 2 years ago which was a 1st + 1st + Sort of Cap dump but useful player in Lehtera.

Kaut seems like the best option there.

Re Zadorov - the Ducks are more than set for LHD and defensive types. We also haven't seen Murray draft/acquire a single Russian player in his eleven years with the Ducks and it's very unlikely he starts with an RFA who will want more than what we need to pay a third pairing D.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I think you’re looking at almost exactly what Zucker got.

Both in their prime, both good goal scorers with good centers, both had term left.

Rakell is about 1.5 mill cheaper than Zucker, but comes with a lot of injury concerns.

Zucker hauled a late 1st, the Penguins second best prospect in Addison, and a cap dump that’s a FA at the end of the season in Galchenyuk.

That may not sit well with Ducks fans but the market appears to have been set for that kind of player. He’s almost the identical situation as Zucker.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

I’m thinking a 1st + Kaut + Jost/2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad