Value of: Rickard Rakell at the draft

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think you’re looking at almost exactly what Zucker got.

Both in their prime, both good goal scorers with good centers, both had term left.

Rakell is about 1.5 mill cheaper than Zucker, but comes with a lot of injury concerns.

Zucker hauled a late 1st, the Penguins second best prospect in Addison, and a cap dump that’s a FA at the end of the season in Galchenyuk.

That may not sit well with Ducks fans but the market appears to have been set for that kind of player. He’s almost the identical situation as Zucker.
Here's a revolutionary idea; there's no actual "set price" on the return a player can get based on previous trades. Just because one player similar to another gets traded does not mean that the other player will return the exact same thing.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I know I should but I know nothing about Rakell other than his numbers look pretty good and he used to be a hyped future. Don't see enough of the Ducks to really gauge him though. Is he more of a 2nd liner at this point? What kind of game does he play - what type of center would he fit best with?

He’s a complimentary first liner. When surrounded by elite talent he puts up pretty big numbers but if you’re expecting him to do a good amount of the heavy lifting on his line he’s more of a second liner.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah this, I think he is playing hurt, had a wrist injury earlier this year. With talent like Zegras coming up next season, and who knows who they land in the draft, gotta keep the goal scorers in the line up. Would prefer to give him one more season to turn it around before shipping him out, will still have one more year left so won't just be a rental at the next TDL.

Was it disclosed he had a wrist injury this year? I thought his wrist issues were from last season.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Here's a revolutionary idea; there's no actual "set price" on the return a player can get based on previous trades. Just because one player similar to another gets traded does not mean that the other player will return the exact same thing.
Lol

Here’s a revolutionary idea: don’t be salty because your player isn’t worth as much as you unrealistically think

Explain to me this huge difference between Zucker and Rakell and why Rakell is worth way more.

Zucker is 28 with 2 years left after this year, 248 career points

Rakell is 27 with 2 years left after this year, 276 career points

Would also like to point out that Rakell got the benefit of playing with Getzlaf in his mid/late prime years. Zucker has never played with a player like that in Minny

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Lol

Here’s a revolutionary idea: don’t be salty because your player isn’t worth as much as you unrealistically think

Explain to me this huge difference between Zucker and Rakell and why Rakell is worth way more.

Would also like to point out that Rakell got the benefit of playing with Getzlaf in his mid/late prime years. Zucker has never played with a player like that in Minny
The 1.5 mil in cap space is a pretty big bonus

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Lol

way to completely miss the point.

I never said there's a difference between them. Reading comprehension is hard.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
2 yrs left at a very good contract.
2 yrs of subpar production though.
He's worth a 1st rd pick, a mid rdr (3rd/4th) and a B+ prospect. That should be the return Anaheim should expect. Anything more is overpayment given his sharp decline in production imo.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Virtanen and Gaudette

If you want draft picks, Virtanen should be worth a late 1st or two 2nds. Gaudette a 2nd and maybe a 4th. We will get those picks for you. I can even throw in Stecher

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Dominik Simon, Filip Hallander, and a 2021 1st rounder.

Definitely would do that also! Not a bad package and I personally think it is better than what we gave up for 3 1/2 years of Zucker. I think what would hurt us is the 1st being a year out from this draft. Someone would offer a similar or better deal with this year's 1st round pick. Although adding Simon a 3 time Cup winner after this season is an attractive piece:sarcasm:.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
way to completely miss the point.

I never said there's a difference between them. Reading comprehension is hard.
I can read just fine but apparently you can’t since you still haven’t answered the question lmaooo

it’s okay it would have been a dumb response anyways

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
If the Ducks can't get back a 1st+top prospect they're better off keeping him. On a good team with top 6 minutes he's a 30 goal scorer on a steal of a contract for 2 more years.

That Pens offer was that and more with the addition of Simon. 1st round pick, Hallander who is a very good prospect and a young proven middle 6 forward. I think that is better than what we gave for Zucker who we have for 4 Cups runs. I personally like Hallander better as a prospect than Addison who was the prospect in that Zucker deal. I would be willing to do that proposed trade that the other Pens poster used. I think that is pretty fair for both sides. Hallander and Simon could start right in for your team next season and you get a 1st round pick also.

Personally Pens don't need him next year with what is coming back.

Zucker-Crosby-Simon
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad/Rodriguez-Hornqvist
ZAR/Rodriguez-Blueger-Tanev

Pens have 13 forwards all under control next year. That depth is amazing even with letting Sheary and Marleau walk as UFA's. The way Poulin is playing this season I wouldn't be surprised if he is fighting for a top 9 spot next year. He will only be 19 but he has nothing to prove in Junior next year and he can't go to the AHL. I think if he has a good camp he makes the team with his NHL size and two way game.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Lol

A full year younger, has displayed a higher ceiling, and has a better contract. Not that hard to see why we would think rakell would be worth more.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
A full year younger, has displayed a higher ceiling, and has a better contract. Not that hard to see why we would think rakell would be worth more.
He displayed this “higher” ceiling while playing with prime Getzlaf. And when Getz started to decline so did Rakell’s numbers.

Wait until Zucker gets a full season with Sid and then come talk to me about the higher ceiling.

Reactions: Dmang714

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Thanks must have missed that, Ducks for ages were just going with UBI.

I know he had wrist issues last season. May explain his shot not being as much of a weapon anymore. Hopefully it’s not going to be a long term issue.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thanks must have missed that, Ducks for ages were just going with UBI.

I know he had wrist issues last season. May explain his shot not being as much of a weapon anymore. Hopefully it’s not going to be a long term issue.

No problem. Yeah he has been getting chances but cannot score (lol, pretty much the entire Ducks roster in a nutshell). It’s why I have given him benefit of the doubt and want him to get another season before they even think about trading him. A summer to heal is what he may need.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Rakell
-More physical
-Better defensively, plays PK
-Capable of taking draws
-1.7M cheaper
Saying he’s more physical and better defensively without numbers is completely subjective, anyone can say that.

Zucker is in fact extremely defensively responsible and doesn’t shy away from the corners. If you watched him you’d see he’s no different than Rakell.

He’s 1.5m cheaper sure, but Zucker doesn’t have the lengthy injury history Rakell has I would argue that off sets the difference.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

A full your younger won't move the needle because that isn't a big difference. Higher ceiling isn't really true either with Zucker highs of 33 goals and 64 points is pretty comparable to 34 goals and 69 points. I don't see that as getting any higher value for that difference. The one thing that does add some value is the lower cap hit. Unfortunately for you though is the biggest factor which was we traded for 4 Cup runs with Zucker compared to a team trading for 2 Cup runs of Rakell. So with double the playoff runs that is a very big plus for us getting Zucker.

So while you might end up getting more that doesn't mean that is a better value for the other team. I think Rutherford made a great deal so maybe you guys can find a team to overpay. Zucker for 4 playoffs at the price we payed was a good get. If Ottawa could get more for Pageau and you guys got more for Kase plus what Lightning paid for Coleman so I won't be surprised if you get more. Whether that means it is truly worth more is up for debate. All take the player for double the years of control personally. I just think Rutherford got a really good deal considering what Coleman, Kase, and Pageau got and I consider all of them lesser players than Zucker and Rakell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad