Confirmed with Link: Rick Peckham Appreciation Thread (retiring after 2019-2020)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Going to guess he wanted to split time with the national feed and Tampa ain't second place to nobody.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Would have liked Forslund. Even though some suggested he was biased against us in the playoffs.

So who’s available and good?

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Would have liked Forslund. Even though some suggested he was biased against us in the playoffs.

So who’s available and good?

It probably ends up being a name we don't know of trying to land a dream job. Like Macho said, we aren't gonna be second to anyone. I can't think of any names. Unless a sportsnet guy like Dave Randorf (I don't think he has a gig right now) wants to take over, I think that's what ends up happening. Whoever it is has a tall task ahead of them. Hot take: RP was top 5 in the biz even going into retirement.

Exceptionally late edit: like 2 hours later. I mentioned Randorf at random as an example of who might be available and remembered that he called this little nugget of Lightning history. Not saying it's a preview or anything but it's at the very least a pretty awesome memory to indulge in.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If he could tone it down a LOT for TV maybe... but radio vs. TV is a very different set of skills anyway IMO. Dave is perfect for radio because the listener doesn't have anything to go off of besides your excitement, but on TV all that excitement can detract from what you're watching.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If he could tone it down a LOT for TV maybe... but radio vs. TV is a very different set of skills anyway IMO. Dave is perfect for radio because the listener doesn't have anything to go off of besides your excitement, but on TV all that excitement can detract from what you're watching.

Agreed. Despite he goes full blown asshat ballistic for every goal , Mishkin has such an outstanding quality of describing the action in such vivid and yet concise detail that I can literally picture what is happening just as well as if I was watching a TV. He's very good at that even for a radio play by play despite the fact it's their job. Those years of not always having Espo and AHL training (because they don't always have a color guy) has paid off tremendously for him.

Putting him on a TV broadcast would actually take away from his strengths.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I know its not gonna happen but I'd kill for Dave to get the gig.

Opposing teams fans would be livid :laugh:

I've thought more on it and I think it would be a disservice to Phil Esposito to take Mishkin off the radio. He does a tremendous job covering for Esposito's speed in word recall that naturally regresses with age (and who can blame the guy? He's 78 trying to call a friggin hockey game) and is liable to continue his role until he passes away -which I think is appropriate unless he turns into Bob Cole or Dave Andreychuk. On the nights when Esposito shows his age, Mishkin gets right back at it and still banters with Esposito so exceptionally well that it broadcast itself doesn't suffer. It feels like two family members watching a Lightning game.

I could live without the bitching they do sometimes but I also try to remember it's Father Lightning up in the booth and to expect a partial broadcast would be like expecting me to turn water into wine

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yeah, I was wondering about this a day or two ago as well. And I don't expect Rick to reconsider even if his vacation plans otherwise have been derailed by COVID. Maybe if the Lightning didn't win the Cup, but he got to go out with a series-winning OT goal in a Cup-winning year. He's not going to top that.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, I was wondering about this a day or two ago as well. And I don't expect Rick to reconsider even if his vacation plans otherwise have been derailed by COVID. Maybe if the Lightning didn't win the Cup, but he got to go out with a series-winning OT goal in a Cup-winning year. He's not going to top that.
I don't know if they're calling games remotely this season. Not having to travel in a shortened season could be appealing.

But yeah, how do you top a cup winning year?

My depth of knowledge of pxp is about as deep as a puddle, but if the guy is working the WJC, then it would make sense to let that wrap up.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
New broadcaster or nah?

If it wasn't for the fact we live in the information age/social media age where any and all news can spread within seconds to millions of people, this would be a team that literally says nothing..... ever. That is until you wake up one day and suddenly something they did is in the sports page and it's like "Oh yeah. Yeah we did that thing."

That said I'm relatively sure we aren't gonna find out who RP's replacement is until like January 8th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad