Confirmed with Link: Rick Peckham Appreciation Thread (retiring after 2019-2020)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
(paywall)

Anyone got an Athletic subscription? Are the up-and-comers mentioned by name?

I see that Forslund and John Buccigross are interested. I've got to give a nope on Buccigross.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I will say this, his voice will be missed. But it is up to the team to give him a proper send off.

And that means not screwing around and doing it.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
(paywall)

Anyone got an Athletic subscription? Are the up-and-comers mentioned by name?

I see that Forslund and John Buccigross are interested. I've got to give a nope on Buccigross.

That’s a big nope for me on Buccigross. I think it would be hard for the fanbase to accept him after his whole “Tampa is not a real sports town if they boo St. Louis” in his first game back at Amalie thing.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
That’s a big nope for me on Buccigross. I think it would be hard for the fanbase to accept him after his whole “Tampa is not a real sports town if they boo St. Louis” in his first game back at Amalie thing.
ESPN has a...certain off-air culture...that Buccigross it seems is not immune from. That's a complete deal breaker right away.

As for skills, I've never been blown away by Buccigross when he calls college games. It doesn't feel like that's his natural fit. He's more of a host/personality.

I also think that the Bucci OT challenge/merch stuff is obnoxious. You can't fault him for trying to create additional revenue streams for himself, but the Twitter spam when a game goes to OT is just too much. I might need to mute that.

Last edited:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Yeah, Bucci isn't the solution. He's fine at ESPN, a thousand miles away from this organization. Let it stay that way.

That article mentions not wanting someone who is apt to miss games on a regular basis because of national duties. That wouldn't bode well for Forslund, so unless that is negotiable, that would seem to suggest he's not very likely either.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah, Bucci isn't the solution. He's fine at ESPN, a thousand miles away from this organization. Let it stay that way.

That article mentions not wanting someone who is apt to miss games on a regular basis because of national duties. That wouldn't bode well for Forslund, so unless that is negotiable, that would seem to suggest he's not very likely either.
Does Forslund work a lot of regular season games, or is it that he works playoffs because the Canes usually miss and playoffs are normally the memorable part?

JF did call an outdoor game, the Centennial Classic, but Brian Engblom also worked a few outdoor games for NBC too.

If it isn't Forslund though, then I think we're a lot more likely to get an up-and-comer. A broadcaster that wasn't on NBC (or ABC/ESPN back in the day) wouldn't be recognized by casual fans, so the field theoretically should be a lot more open.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Does Forslund work a lot of regular season games, or is it that he works playoffs because the Canes usually miss and playoffs are normally the memorable part?

JF did call an outdoor game, the Centennial Classic, but Brian Engblom also worked a few outdoor games for NBC too.

If it isn't Forslund though, then I think we're a lot more likely to get an up-and-comer. A broadcaster that wasn't on NBC (or ABC/ESPN back in the day) wouldn't be recognized by casual fans, so the field theoretically should be a lot more open.

Forslund pretty regularly does midweek games on NBCSN. Now, I'm sure I don't see every Carolina game and I don't always watch their broadcast for the games I do watch, so how many games he does miss is something I can't be sure of, but vis-a-vis Forslund and Engblom, I can tell you Forslund works way more NBC(SN) games than Brian does. Heck, it feels like Engblom barely does NBC at all anymore. He works a handful of games a year, at most, whereas Forslund covers a game or two pretty much every week in addition to his regular team duties.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Forslund pretty regularly does midweek games on NBCSN. Now, I'm sure I don't see every Carolina game and I don't always watch their broadcast for the games I do watch, so how many games he does miss is something I can't be sure of, but vis-a-vis Forslund and Engblom, I can tell you Forslund works way more NBC(SN) games than Brian does. Heck, it feels like Engblom barely does NBC at all anymore. He works a handful of games a year, at most, whereas Forslund covers a game or two pretty much every week in addition to his regular team duties.
We got Brian when his status with NBC changed in 2015.

I was looking for this: NBC SPORTS ANNOUNCES GAME AND STUDIO COMMENTATORS FOR 2019-20 NHL SEASON - NBC Sports Pressbox

Doc and Kenny Albert are clearly NBC's A and B, and are listed as such. Forslund is their C guy then, which is what I wanted to know.

JF doesn't necessarily need a team to call then because you don't hear Mike Emrick on NBCSN often. If NBCSN decides to make JF their guy, which they should, it'd put him in line to replace Doc once he retires (who is 73). Kenny Albert is good, but doesn't show a lot of personality.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah could be that Forslund wanted to work exclusively on national television anyway.

Well, Mishkin it is then. Yikes!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah could be that Forslund wanted to work exclusively on national television anyway.

Well, Mishkin it is then. Yikes!
Nah. There's a bunch of guys in the game. John Walton, Stephen Nelson, Victor Findlay, Paul Romanuk, Dan D'Uva, Brendan Batchelor, etc., etc., etc.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
We would shoot ourselves if we listened to Romanuk on a nightly basis.
Romanuk in no way would be universally adored by the fan base.

He's not the guy I'd get, because of all the flubs, but he is a guy that's available. HNIC cred also means very little to casual fans I'd think.

As time goes on, Stephen Nelson keeps seeming like a good fit.

I like Victor Findlay, but he's still quite young, and doesn't get all that hyped for exciting moments. His apparent lack of experience traveling with a team is also a minus.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nah. There's a bunch of guys in the game. John Walton, Stephen Nelson, Victor Findlay, Paul Romanuk, Dan D'Uva, Brendan Batchelor, etc., etc., etc.

If I'm to choose between only those names it's D'Uva by a long shot. Findlay wasn't bad either but he'll have to find his "homer voice"

It's funny about Mishkin. The guy is pound for pound one of the best at "calling the action" I have ever heard. He always matches the excitement on the ice with the proper tone, he's concise yet descriptive and it lets you see what's happening as clear as TV without one and he doesn't rely on flamboyant adjectives to describe what's happening. It's basically everything Rick Peckham does. Then a goal gets scored and you'd swear a cat is being skinned alive. If it weren't for that we wouldn't even be speculating as to who would be calling our games next.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If I'm to choose between only those names it's D'Uva by a long shot. Findlay wasn't bad either but he'll have to find his "homer voice"

It's funny about Mishkin. The guy is pound for pound one of the best at "calling the action" I have ever heard. He always matches the excitement on the ice with the proper tone, he's concise yet descriptive and it lets you see what's happening as clear as TV without one and he doesn't rely on flamboyant adjectives to describe what's happening. It's basically everything Rick Peckham does. Then a goal gets scored and you'd swear a cat is being skinned alive. If it weren't for that we wouldn't even be speculating as to who would be calling our games next.

On radio thats fine but on TV might not work as well as it does now. I like him on the radio and think he could be good on TV with some changes. I also like the homer element he brings. Which we haven't had since chief. I dont think he will be the guy but I think we could do worse.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
On radio thats fine but on TV might not work as well as it does now. I like him on the radio and think he could be good on TV with some changes. I also like the homer element he brings. Which we haven't had since chief. I dont think he will be the guy but I think we could do worse.
I think I'd rather have the color guy be the biased one since the pxp usually is the 'lead', while color finds spots to interject.

RP is a pretty big Lightning homer although it's not as overt as a Jack Edwards.

If we get the next man up in broadcasting, then I'd think that they'll find some homerism pretty quickly since this would probably be their first big NHL job. It's hard to see that happening right away with a John Forslund.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think I'd rather have the color guy be the biased one since the pxp usually is the 'lead', while color finds spots to interject.

RP is a pretty big Lightning homer although it's not as overt as a Jack Edwards.

If we get the next man up in broadcasting, then I'd think that they'll find some homerism pretty quickly since this would probably be their first big NHL job. It's hard to see that happening right away with a John Forslund.

I don't disagree that it would probably be better if it was the color guy being more of the homer. I was speaking more of how he does it and sounds. And you are right RP has a little bit of that but Mish takes it to another level. He doesn't even need to be talking lightning or is just doing a traditional play by play and you can feel the homerism seeping through.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Gonna miss Rick. Great job while he was here. Hats off to him.

Thank you Rick.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I just saw this news, this is really sad because to me peckham was top 3 in the league as announcers go. I had no idea he is as old as he is. I will miss tuning into bolts games and hearing him call games. It was already weird enough hearing engblom instead of the chief but this is sad, hope he has a great retirement

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

You're not wrong, but i'm pretty sure they bought Engblom out of a lot of his national duties when he came onboard. Not 100% on that though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Absolutely amazing last call by RP. And by Point of all players. It just feels right. I'm so happy for you RP. All the best to you and your family in retirement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad