Rick Nash

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Its amazing he could be a Selke* caliber defender with those injury woes.

*hyperbole alert

Its not really amazing at all. Ever had your brain bashed in? It makes it slightly* difficult to keep yourself conditioned. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see that Nash was trying last spring, doing what he could to help the team win by playing a smart and efficient game. But when Nash has zero speed and strength his offensive game is non-existent.

*hyperbole alert

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
So he played well in those playoffs after the concussions?

I think he played as well as he probably could have, considering the circumstances. Certainly not the healthy Nash we have seen.

He has been playing the same style since the sore neck in February?

Well he is able to skate from blue line to blue line without getting winded like he was last spring, so no not exactly. But he definitely looks like he is either getting over his neck injury is afraid of re-injuring it. Which amounts to the same thing: a potential problem for the team.

I'm under the impression that people assume that the posters who are frustrated hate him as a person or something like that.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Did you mean to direct this post to me?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its not really amazing at all. Ever had your brain bashed in? It makes it slightly* difficult to keep yourself conditioned. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together could see that Nash was trying last spring, doing what he could to help the team win by playing a smart and efficient game. But when Nash has zero speed and strength his offensive game is non-existent.

*hyperbole alert

I hope he does well this postseason, but I am interested to see what kind of pass he gets if he doesn't.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I hope he does well this postseason, but I am interested to see what kind of pass he gets if he doesn't.

Nash could show up to game one with no skates wearing only a born-to-lose t-shirt and some people would still give him a pass. And there are others that would complain about his production if he spent the entire 2015 playoffs in a coma. "Look at him! He's barely moving!"

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nash could show up to game one with no skates wearing only a born-to-lose t-shirt and some people would still give him a pass. And there are others that would complain about his production if he spent the entire 2015 playoffs in a coma. "Look at him! He's barely moving!"

I definitely support the notion he had head issues the last 2 playoffs. His propensity to shy away from the middle of the ice and front of the net highlighted that.

That said, he is supposedly healthy this playoff season. There are no excuses. Ill be watching for what he does on the rush. Does he drive the puck to the middle of the ice/front of the net, or does he stay along the boards and fire a limp wrister into the goalie's chest? With his size and speed, he creates all sorts of chaos when he goes to the net, even if he doesn't put a shot on goal. The team desperately needs that from him on a consistent basis if they're going to win it all.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Did you mean to direct this post to me?

Not you in particular. It seems as if many of the "pro Nash defense" 9can't think of a better phrase are under the impression that being disappointed in his play and the outcome of 2014 are attacking Rick Nash as a person or something along those lines.

The people who are unhappy will say: "Rick Nash did not score nearly enough for his role, what he is paid for, and what he was brought here to do. I hope Rick Nash brings it this year. Otherwise, we are in trouble."

The people who are happy with Rick Nash will say "You don't know him. How do you know he doesn't care. He was trying. Yes he didn't score ore drive to the net when he needed him, but he was trying, and his heart was in the right place."

Don't attack the paraphrase. It's just an example.

My point is that the people who are unhappy are saying he did not score and we are disappointed. The people who defend him appear as if they think we are attacking Rick Nash's soul or some crap like that.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I definitely support the notion he had head issues the last 2 playoffs. His propensity to shy away from the middle of the ice and front of the net highlighted that.

That said, he is supposedly healthy this playoff season. There are no excuses. Ill be watching for what he does on the rush. Does he drive the puck to the middle of the ice/front of the net, or does he stay along the boards and fire a limp wrister into the goalie's chest? With his size and speed, he creates all sorts of chaos when he goes to the net, even if he doesn't put a shot on goal. The team desperately needs that from him on a consistent basis if they're going to win it all.

Watching Nash play after his injury I think there is a legit chance he has problems scoring this year. Not on the level that he did last year, but I think the change in the way he approaches the game, as you mentioned above, could and probably would lessen his production noticeably. And I think there is a legit chance that might scuttle the Rangers best chance to win the cup in a long time. Which is brutal.

Whether the narrative is "Nash wilts under the pressure of the playoffs" or "Nash is rarely healthy and plays scared when he is" doesn't matter much. Personally I think the latter is closer to the truth, but at the end of the day it would amount to the same thing. Nash being a disappointment during his tenure as a Ranger.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Not you in particular. It seems as if many of the "pro Nash defense" 9can't think of a better phrase are under the impression that being disappointed in his play and the outcome of 2014 are attacking Rick Nash as a person or something along those lines.

The people who are unhappy will say: "Rick Nash did not score nearly enough for his role, what he is paid for, and what he was brought here to do. I hope Rick Nash brings it this year. Otherwise, we are in trouble."

The people who are happy with Rick Nash will say "You don't know him. How do you know he doesn't care. He was trying. Yes he didn't score ore drive to the net when he needed him, but he was trying, and his heart was in the right place."

Don't attack the paraphrase. It's just an example.

My point is that the people who are unhappy are saying he did not score and we are disappointed. The people who defend him appear as if they think we are attacking Rick Nash's soul or some crap like that.

People who say Nash did not score enough are right. People who say Nash was disappointing are right.

My issue is the people who take that reality and spin it into some fairy tale where Nash was so frightened of the playoffs or so incredibly lazy that he just loafed around fanning himself with money while the Rangers lost the cup. It omits giant parts of the story which are then filled in by peoples personal opinions and biases. I don't think there is any doubt that to many the Nash trade signaled the end of a "shot blocking, Pack Line, Get 'er done!" era that existed only in some peoples minds, one replaced by the "fancy pass, Big Name Big Money, no Jam!" era we have now. And there is a certain perverse delight people seem to take in the fact that the face of our new era has the intestinal fortitude of the annoying translator from Saving Private Ryan.

Anyway, like I said to BRB the narrative really doesn't matter. Nash will be judged on the numbers and the hardware, or lack thereof. I just dont understand the need to skew reality to make him even more of a villain than he may already end up being.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
People who say Nash did not score enough are right. People who say Nash was disappointing are right.

My issue is the people who take that reality and spin it into some fairy tale where Nash was so frightened of the playoffs or so incredibly lazy that he just loafed around fanning himself with money while the Rangers lost the cup. It omits giant parts of the story which are then filled in by peoples personal opinions and biases. I don't think there is any doubt that to many the Nash trade signaled the end of a "shot blocking, Pack Line, Get 'er done!" era that existed only in some peoples minds, one replaced by the "fancy pass, Big Name Big Money, no Jam!" era we have now. And there is a certain perverse delight people seem to take in the fact that the face of our new era has the intestinal fortitude of the annoying translator from Saving Private Ryan.

Anyway, like I said to BRB the narrative really doesn't matter. Nash will be judged on the numbers and the hardware, or lack thereof. I just dont understand the need to skew reality to make him even more of a villain than he may already end up being.

I was saying that I felt there was a belief among Nash apologist that the people who are disappointed with Rick Nash in the playoffs are attacking his character, soul, etc.

In other words, this is definitely occurring.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I was saying that I felt there was a belief among Nash apologist that the people who are disappointed with Rick Nash in the playoffs are attacking his character, soul, etc.

In other words, this is definitely occurring.

Saying that Nash is lazy or cowardly IS attacking his character.

So saying that no one is attacking his character is as idiotic as calling me an apologist. Hell, I was attacking his character.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003

I don't know what's wrong with saying Nash has no excuse this playoff season. I mean I don't want to criticize the guy before the playoffs but he has to produce this playoffs. The Rangers are not going back to the Stanley Cup Final if Nash isn't scoring consistently. Nash does a lot of good things besides scoring goals but sometimes it feels like fans point to that as an accomplishment. It's not that's his job.

I like Nash. I think he is great and the fact that he seems to be humble is also nice to see. I really have high hopes for Nash this playoffs. A guy doesn't become as successful as he is without some determination. A lot of players we have see in the past would've had trouble scoring last playoffs and had a terrible follow up regular season. You could almost see Nash's determination from the start of the season. I think that will carry over to the playoffs.

I just got to point out one thing. The people that are defending Nash are not apologists. The are fans and just because they are defending the guy doesn't mean they don't think he has to score. The just think what he does away from scoring is enough. That doesn't make someone an apologist.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Saying that Nash is lazy or cowardly IS attacking his character.

So saying that no one is attacking his character is as idiotic as calling me an apologist. Hell, I was attacking his character.

I didn't call him a coward, and I didn't call you an apologist.

Do you know how many foot notes I would need to make under a post to touch ever individual opinion on the situation?

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If he gives the rest of the team the Flu and they get knocked out, there will be no excuses big enough to hide behind. Ranger fans will load him into a catapult and fire him into the East River.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Lots of stomach bugs going around. The league throws around the term 'flu' very loosely. When I had the flu I was out of commission for 5 days. This doesn't seem to be the case as it's probably some kind of 24 hour thing (hoping).

It's weird becaue I had a game last night and as I was getting to the rink I wasn't feeling well at all. Had no energy in the game, came home and got a fever that spiked to 102. Took off work today dealing with multiple trips to the head but feeling better already. Turns out that a dozen or more people and kids all got the same thing at a party we were at on Sunday. I'm hoping this doesn't go through the rest of the team on a game day!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He doesn't have the flu. He probably has a stomach bug or the sniffles. If it was the flu he would miss like a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad