Player Discussion Rick Nash VI

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If we trade Nash, I'll miss his eye-contact triangle he makes with whoever is interviewing him and the camera.

He practically stares into my soul.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If we trade Nash, I'll miss his eye-contact triangle he makes with whoever is interviewing him and the camera.

He practically stares into my soul.

a5df5284da58883ba5ca7ac211b007f6.jpg

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I think theres one thing that really should be said. Despite all of Nashs shortcomings or perceived lack of production, whether real, otherwise, or explainable due to circumstances beyond his control (injury, luck, etc)...most of us can agree that Nash has always been a class act here. He's never shied away from taking responsibility and he works his ass off all 200 feet of the ice. if and when he gets traded, we will be worse off for it...both on the ice, and off the ice. hes always seemed like a great guy to me...someone who actually tried hard despite getting paid, and having his NMC...never really noticed him oaf around.

All I ask of him is to drive the net with the puck and get to dirty areas in key games (i.e., the playoffs). If he did that, and if he executed in those pressure situations, he'd be a fan favorite here.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I think theres one thing that really should be said. Despite all of Nashs shortcomings or perceived lack of production, whether real, otherwise, or explainable due to circumstances beyond his control (injury, luck, etc)...most of us can agree that Nash has always been a class act here. He's never shied away from taking responsibility and he works his ass off all 200 feet of the ice. if and when he gets traded, we will be worse off for it...both on the ice, and off the ice. hes always seemed like a great guy to me...someone who actually tried hard despite getting paid, and having his NMC...never really noticed him oaf around.

Nash has been an asset. I'd make the trade for him again if we went back in time. While I do think it may be time for a change that does not mean I would just give him away.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I wouldn't have, but I'm biased and I loved Dubi.

Dubi was one of my fave players so I understand but Nash is the better player. I find it interesting that so many Rangers fans speak highly of Dubi now. When he was here a lot of folks could not wait to run him out of town including his coach.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Dubi was one of my fave players so I understand but Nash is the better player. I find it interesting that so many Rangers fans speak highly of Dubi now. When he was here a lot of folks could not wait to run him out of town including his coach.

FWIW I was very critical of our fanbase for turning on him after one season where he regressed slightly. It was idiotic to me, at the time even.

Nash's inability to perform in the playoffs is a major reason, too, that I don't like the trade in hindsight.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
FWIW I was very critical of our fanbase for turning on him after one season where he regressed slightly. It was idiotic to me, at the time even.

Nash's inability to perform in the playoffs is a major reason, too, that I don't like the trade in hindsight.

One thing we are missing is how Duby used to carry the mail from defense to offense. Before him it was Gomez doing it and before Gomez it was Nylander. We do not really have a center that does that much anymore.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
One thing we are missing is how Duby used to carry the mail from defense to offense. Before him it was Gomez doing it and before Gomez it was Nylander. We do not really have a center that does that much anymore.

I'd say Brassard is pretty good. One thing about Dubi and Gomez, they were a little more straight line with speed. Brassard, Miller, Zucc, Hayes, these guys like to dance around the neutral zone a little more slowly.

Especially in the playoffs, having guys who can provide different looks is important. I agree that we could use a speedier, straight line puck carrier at center.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown

Nylander at least had an idea of what to do once he got there. Gomez was one of those guys you just loved to watch carrying the puck, similar to a Paul Coffey, a Brian Leetch, etc... a natural skater.
Everybody has a different view, but Gomez was not a playmaker. He was useful in that very rigid Devils system with all their set plays, but he sucked at freelancing. Nylander, aah, much better.
I would never in a million years put Dubinsky up with either of them in headmanning the puck up the ice. I didn't dislike him, but was happy with the Nash trade, quite happy.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the fact that Nash is going to be remembered predominantly as a poor playoff performer here is totally hilarious to me.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

I was more a fan of Gaborik, and thought it was pointless to move him before AV got here, but Brassard has done very well here.

Didn't like the Nash trade one bit. I knew he would be a total bust in the playoffs and I was right.

Nash's playoff performance should be how he is remembered, especially if every other player is judged that way. Why play favorites?

I've never seen so many ****ing excuses for a player in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I was more a fan of Gaborik, and thought it was pointless to move him before AV got here, but Brassard has done very well here.

Didn't like the Nash trade one bit. I knew he would be a total bust in the playoffs and I was right.

Nash's playoff performance should be how he is remembered, especially if every other player is judged that way. Why play favorites?

I've never seen so many ****ing excuses for a player in my life.

How did you know he'd be a "total bust"? Based on the 4 game sample size he had in Columbus?

Fun facts: Nash actually has a better PPG in the playoffs as a Ranger than Marian Gaborik did as a Ranger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
How did you know he'd be a "total bust"? Based on the 4 game sample size he had in Columbus?

Fun facts: Nash actually has a better PPG in the playoffs as a Ranger than Marian Gaborik did as a Ranger.

yeah but he's a total playoff bust according to Nostradamus up there why would you bring facts here?

Dubinsky is laughably romanticized on these boards. 70% of this fanbase hated him when he was traded.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

He's always been overrated, that's why. Sometimes when you get a player, you just know it isn't gonna work, as this franchise has proven time and time again the last 15 years. Never liked that trade, and I can't ****ing wait until he is gone.

Gaborik did a lot more with a lot less, let's not even go there. :laugh:

That 2014 team went to the Cup Final in spite of Nash. That LA team went to the Cup Final because of Gaborik.

Maybe on his next team Nash will catch up to Hagelin in playoff goals. Gaborik's proven himself to be successful and help his team when it matters to a Cup. Nash has not, and Nash has had more of a supporting cast here to do it with than Gaborik ever did. Gaborik did more with a separated shoulder in 2012 than Nash ever did.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

The under-appreciation for Gaborik here was similar to Kessel in Toronto, but they ultimately both went on to win shortly after (I want the Sharks but we all know Pittsburgh will close it out at some point). Good or them.

We get within three wins of a Cup and Nash couldn't even score. But he was a great at defense those games we lost!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Gabby will always be remembered to me as 3OT Clutch goal all while being injured. I'll take Gabby in the POs over Nash any day.

Gaborik was a great player but he didn't have other players to carry the load. Richards was never the player we expected him to be and he only played with Nash for 2 months.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It pissed me off when Gaby got traded so soon to the time Torts got fired. He could have stayed here but Torts seemed to have it in for Gaby.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Gaborik was a great player but he didn't have other players to carry the load. Richards was never the player we expected him to be and he only played with Nash for 2 months.

That's one of my points.

Nash-era Rangers of 2013-2015 were much deeper.

Gaborik-era Rangers of 2009-2012 were basically Gaborik, Richards and grinders.

AV's system was also more suited for Gaborik, whereas Tortorella's probably more suited for Nash.

The whole thing is stupid.

Nash has played on a much better team to help with the load than Gaborik did, and Nash has still played a lesser part of it.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Sounds exactly like someone else here...

Maybe the theme is that you need more than one superstar to help carry the load?

I liked Gaborik as a Ranger. I really did. But just like Dubinsky, it's funny how people paint a different picture once the player is gone. Ranger fans almost ran Gaborik out of town after 10-11 where he had an injury riddled season and potted half his goals against the 3 worst teams in the league. He was also a complete non factor in 10-11 playoffs. People gave him **** in 11-12 too until they found out he was hurt in the playoffs. He had a rough season in 12-13.

If you want to be honest, Gaborik and Nash are very similar in how their careers played out in New York. Top dog with no real superstar to play along side them up front during their tenure while having injury problems throughout. Both had similar playoff production but Nash contributed a lot more than Gaborik when he wasn't scoring.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
the fact that Nash is going to be remembered predominantly as a poor playoff performer here is totally hilarious to me.

How can you see it any other way? Are you simply looking at his overall stat line? Who cares about a PPG pace if few were when we needed it. I'm not saying he never put points up when we needed him to, it just didn't happen nearly often enough. Do you not remember how offensively useless he was during our cup run? If he showed up that parade would have been through the canyon of heroes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad