Dreger: Rick Nash unsure if he will play next year, will not sign july 1st

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
All code for: I'm going to wait for the smoke to clear and sign with a contender once I've seen their roster filled out. I mean, could you see him take the first few months of the season off to focus on his health, then decide to come back into the picture around January or February on a full tank to sign with a Pittsburgh, Boston, or Tampa? Spend time with the family, relax, keep in shape but no contact. Then come on in for the big score in June!

I'm actually surprised more veterans don't go this route. If you're interested in adding a Cup before you retire instead of the $$$, keep in shape, wait until around the trade deadline and then sign with a contender.

It's almost like a lockout-shortened season + guaranteed playoffs. Not even mentioning the lack of fatigue all these other 82-game players get.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Rick Nash is a great player no matter what people say about him. Yes he had his fair share of injuries but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I believe he doesn't feel it in his heart to play anymore so if he retires then he had a great career. Wish he would sign to see if he can get a chance at the cup though.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
translation

Offer crap wages
reaction--I will wait for better ones

I actually don't think this is a bargaining thing. After his first NYR concussion, he came back timid, and he repeated that with each new concussion. He shied away from contact, kept to the perimeter, etc etc. He seemed REALLY concerned about the whole concussion thing. I can see him being concerned enough to hang them up, but still being reluctant to file the papers (because still no Cup). If anything, I can see him signing mid-season on a bargain contract with a team like Tampa Bay to be a passenger on a Cup favorite.

Reactions: Fixxer

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
giphy.gif

I think this was goal of the year once upon a time, or if not I remember it being close.

Nashty was always a great player with size and skill, and that puts you in vulnerable positions sometimes. I think he would still be a great player in the NHL, but if he’s ready to hang them up then I can only hope the best for him.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
PREDICTION:

Tavares signs with the Leafs, Nash comes to Toronto on a 1 year 'Win A Cup' type contract.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Nash - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kappanen
Johnsson - Lindholm - Brown

(Yes its all in good fun, no it wont happen)

In all seriousness, I have always been a big Nash fan.
Every time he has played for Canada he has been able to do whatever he has been asked to do (multiple times by Mike Babs)
If he retires people will second guess his legacy but they shouldnt.
For like a decade in Columbus he dominated without any support.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i can believe nash can't get a solid offer with so many people chasing tavares and this is a polite way to kick the can down the road a little. he could be the leafs plan b, as one example.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
giphy.gif

I think this was goal of the year once upon a time, or if not I remember it being close.

Nashty was always a great player with size and skill, and that puts you in vulnerable positions sometimes. I think he would still be a great player in the NHL, but if he’s ready to hang them up then I can only hope the best for him.

Yes, I`ve many fond memory of Rick Nash - I hope he and his family take the best decision for him concerning the future and wish him the best.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
When you have 90m in career earnings (not including anything earned overseas during the lockouts or via endorsements), that makes it a pretty easy decision if there's any sort of lingering health concerns cropping up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When you have 90m in career earnings (not including anything earned overseas during the lockouts or via endorsements), that makes it a pretty easy decision if there's any sort of lingering health concerns cropping up.
Given the horror stories we’ve heard from contemporaries of his in franzen, Boynton, Carcillo in the past month, if he has had multiple head injuries he should really take his time and think about whether he truly desire to come back and play.

Reactions: Riptide

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Would taking a year off to rest his pumpkin help alleviate future concussions and get him healthy enough to play? Not rhetorical, no idea if that works. Just seems sad for him to finish when he could still be an effective player.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Shocking that Nash is going to retire early... Mr. Oblivious will be a much better hockey player retired instead of wasting everyone's time and money.

Bye cya later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad