Dreger: Rick Nash unsure if he will play next year, will not sign july 1st

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Or he could've accepted a $15M contract under the guise of legitimately "earning" his contract and sat on LTIR and/or mailed it in for the 3 years because he has no desire to continue his NHL career.

That wouldn't be taking the high road either, that would be "not being a complete tool". Who would even entertain the sort of ideas you're talking about?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Do you think that's why he didn't sign anywhere? They were offering him too much money?
I think he believes any money right now is too much money.

If the team offered him that money knowing his health concerns, he could have, with little anyone blaming him, taken the deal, then "put himself" on LTIR, cashing cheques and sitting at home.
Instead he chose not to take the money and sit at home for free.

That's what Shannon means.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A person who wants $15 million...

Believe it or not, not being a complete tool is laudable.

Nah, it's just understood. I'm not taking the high road every time I don't slap someone who disagrees with me.

Everyone who defends John Shannon's stupid, incorrect use of the phrase "taking the high road", for instance.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That wouldn't be taking the high road either, that would be "not being a complete tool". Who would even entertain the sort of ideas you're talking about?

There are countless examples of players that have signed big contracts only to completely mail it in after the fact. Not saying that Rick Nash would do something like this, but he obviously has concerns over whether he can continue his NHL career whether it's health related or a lack of motivation, or both. He could easily signed a contract this summer that he wasn't 100% committed to honoring but rather he's letting teams know the situation up front. Not sure how you can't conceive that as "taking the high road" even in some form of the phrase.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There are countless examples of players that have signed big contracts only to completely mail it in after the fact. Not saying that Rick Nash would do something like this, but he obviously has concerns over whether he can continue his NHL career whether it's health related or a lack of motivation, or both. He could easily signed a contract this summer that he wasn't 100% committed to honoring but rather he's letting teams know the situation up front. Not sure how you can't conceive that as "taking the high road" even in some form of the phrase.

I don't think that was ever a premeditated, conscious decision from a pro athlete who's dedicated his whole life to a sport, and I don't think it's anything approaching noble not to do it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't think that was ever a premeditated, conscious decision from a pro athlete who's dedicated his whole life to a sport, and I don't think it's anything approaching noble not to do it.

So in the case of Rick Nash, do you think it would be the right thing to do to sign a $15M contract with a team, have them devote a spot in their line-up to you, have them forgo other options in the off-season and then come to camp and decide, "Nah, I don't feel like playing in the NHL anymore, I'm out"? Or would the right thing to do be to tell teams, "You know what, I'm not sure how devoted I am to continuing my NHL career, thanks for the offer but I'm going to turn it down for now and see where things stand later in the off-season"? Rick could've easily taken the money and let things sort themselves out later, but he's not. That's the very definition of "taking the high road". I really think you need to google the definition of that phrase.

"To "take the high road" means doing the right thing, even if it may not be easy or popular with the majority."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So in the case of Rick Nash, do you think it would be the right thing to do to sign a $15M contract with a team, have them devote a spot in their line-up to you, have them forgo other options in the off-season and then come to camp and decide, "Nah, I don't feel like playing in the NHL anymore, I'm out"? Or would the right thing to do be to tell teams, "You know what, I'm not sure how devoted I am to continuing my NHL career, thanks for the offer but I'm going to turn it down for now and see where things stand later in the off-season"? Rick could've easily taken the money and let things sort themselves out later, but he's not. That's the very definition of "taking the high road". I really think you need to google the definition of that phrase.

"To "take the high road" means doing the right thing, even if it may not be easy or popular with the majority."

My last post covered all of this. If you want to think Nash took the high road by not wanting to bilk a team out of 15 million dollars by deliberately signing a deal where he was planning from the get-go to f*** the dog for the duration of the contract, more power to you.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
My last post covered all of this. If you want to think Nash took the high road by not wanting to bilk a team out of 15 million dollars by deliberately signing a deal where he was planning from the get-go to **** the dog for the duration of the contract, more power to you.

I see you didn't even read the post you quoted or you have horrible reading comprehension!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I see you didn't even read the post you quoted or you have horrible reading comprehension!

No, I understood everything completely. Where we part ways is where you think it's "not easy" or "unpopular with the majority" not to do something abhorrent like swindle people out of millions of dollars on purpose.

Today I learned that when I walked down the street and didn't strangle people at random, I took the high road.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
No, I understood everything completely. Where we part ways is where you think it's "not easy" or "unpopular with the majority" not to do something abhorrent like swindle people out of millions of dollars on purpose.

I never said anything about swindling someone out of money in my last post. Nash could've easily accepted a contract offer July 1st, guaranteed his future, but then later on decided in training camp that he doesn't want to continue his career after all and retired. Nobody would be out any money, but the team he signed with would now be looking to fill a big roster spot. Instead he's deciding to forgo accepting a lucrative guaranteed contract, something that might not be there later in the off-season, because at this time he's not 100% committed to continuing his NHL career. The "easy" thing to do is look out for #1 and take the guaranteed contract when it's available. The "right" thing to do is to let your potential suitors know that you're not 100% committed to continuing your career at this point.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I never said anything about swindling someone out of money in my last post. Nash could've easily accepted a contract offer July 1st, guaranteed his future, but then later on decided in training camp that he doesn't want to continue his career after all and retired. Nobody would be out any money, but the team he signed with would now be looking to fill a big roster spot. Instead he's deciding to forgo accepting a lucrative guaranteed contract, something that might not be there later in the off-season, because at this time he's not 100% committed to continuing his NHL career. The "easy" thing to do is look out for #1 and take the guaranteed contract when it's available. The "right" thing to do is to let your potential suitors know that you're not 100% committed to continuing your career at this point.

That's what taking millions of dollars in a contract you have no intention of fulfilling is.

But I don't think we're going to come to an understand no matter how many times I explain that.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's what taking millions of dollars in a contract you have no intention of fulfilling is.

But I don't think we're going to come to an understand no matter how many times I explain that.

Again, you didn't even read my post. If Rick Nash accepted a contract and decided to retire in training camp, as I explained in my last post, nobody would be out a dime. But a team would now be trying to fill a roster spot they had penciled Rick Nash into. Instead of looking out for himself and guaranteeing himself a lucrative contract July 1st, he's doing the "right" thing, or "taking the high road" even though it would be "easy" to sign the contract and let the chips fall where they may later.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Again, you didn't even read my post. If Rick Nash accepted a contract and decided to retire in training camp, as I explained in my last post, nobody would be out a dime. But a team would now be trying to fill a roster spot they had penciled Rick Nash into. Instead of looking out for himself and guaranteeing himself a lucrative contract July 1st, he's doing the "right" thing, or "taking the high road" even though it would be "easy" to sign the contract and let the chips fall where they may later.

You realize that by this logic, every player who passes on a tabled contract because they're mulling retirement is "taking the high road".

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You realize that by this logic, every player who passes on a tabled contract because they're mulling retirement is "taking the high road".

If they've got multiple teams making lucrative contract offers, sure. But how many players contemplating retirement are in that situation?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The teams know the player's health and history. It's their choice to make the offer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm sure it's been said in here already, but he's just gonna wait til closer to the deadline and sign with whoever looks like the biggest contender. He's just sitting out at the moment to rest a little bit while seeing who's who this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The teams know the player's health and history. It's their choice to make the offer.

Of course. And it's Nash's choice whether or not to take it. None of which qualifies as taking the high road.

If they've got multiple teams making lucrative contract offers, sure. But how many players contemplating retirement are in that situation?

Why would that change anything? :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Probably received too many low ball offers that he felt were beneath him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->