Rick Nash Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Yeah, I hope so, too. Never really hated Detroit.

Detroit fans would rather keep their potential 30/30 guys than acquire Nash who is good for 30 when healthy because they are as dumb as the fans of Rick Nash's current team.

Sorry to ruin your fantasy.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The guy certainly had some awful luck in the playoffs, but I thought he did just about everything else right. He wasn't dominant, but he certainly put forth a respectable effort. Unfortunately the criticism is justified simply because of how much he makes, and the fact that he's looked upon to be "the guy". That's just the way it goes.

I'm looking forward if he can use it moving forward and will start playing with a chip on his shoulder. Time will tell.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Even if Nash had 10 shots on goal in a period people will flip out and say he's a floater who takes soft shots. If Nash scored in one of those OTs "lololol Nash" posts would probably be here.

If he scored in OT, he'd be hated for waiting too long.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The guy certainly had some awful luck in the playoffs, but I thought he did just about everything else right. He wasn't dominant, but he certainly put forth a respectable effort. Unfortunately the criticism is justified simply because of how much he makes, and the fact that he's looked upon to be "the guy". That's just the way it goes.

I'm looking forward if he can use it moving forward and will start playing with a chip on his shoulder. Time will tell.

I sit here hoping the recent run would energize him for the upcoming season. Hoping he will take it to heart what his job out there is and come in with a renewed focused and really have a great season and turn it around if the Rangers make it to the playoffs again. Then I realize we are talking about a guy who's been in the league, what, 9 years? He's a vet. He's not going to change his way of playing and as been discussed, perhaps his style of play isn't suitable for the tight-checking, tight defense games that is common in the playoffs. Perhaps he is the guy who will beat-up the lesser teams and falter against the better teams. I'd hope that not to be the case, but what turns it around for a veteran such as him? I'm hoping for the best from him. I'd love a 40-goal campaign during which he leads the Rangers into the playoffs, then leads them in the playoffs. I just don't know if hoping for that is just a pipe dream (in reality).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I sit here hoping the recent run would energize him for the upcoming season. Hoping he will take it to heart what his job out there is and come in with a renewed focused and really have a great season and turn it around if the Rangers make it to the playoffs again. Then I realize we are talking about a guy who's been in the league, what, 9 years? He's a vet. He's not going to change his way of playing and as been discussed, perhaps his style of play isn't suitable for the tight-checking, tight defense games that is common in the playoffs. Perhaps he is the guy who will beat-up the lesser teams and falter against the better teams. I'd hope that not to be the case, but what turns it around for a veteran such as him? I'm hoping for the best from him. I'd love a 40-goal campaign during which he leads the Rangers into the playoffs, then leads them in the playoffs. I just don't know if hoping for that is just a pipe dream (in reality).

You know, I feel the same way for the most part, but I thought he made a lot of improvements in his overall game during the playoffs. If he can carry even part of that into next year, I think it'll be marked improvement for him. I'd never expect him to be a dominant player, but he certainly looked more engaged than I've ever seen him before. That fact gives me a sliver of hope that he can find a little more consistency in his game from shift to shift and game to game.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Wish that'd happened so we could see what the reaction would have been.

Unfortunately your guess is just a crock right now, and it bunches an awful lot of people into one conclusion.

It wasn't a guess, it was a joke.

Sorry to have veered away from the serious tone of bashing Nash repeatedly about the same problems and then defending him repeatedly based on the same strengths.

Now let's get back to speculating about a trade despite just having read Brooks say that a trade isn't on the table for either party.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
You know, I feel the same way for the most part, but I thought he made a lot of improvements in his overall game during the playoffs. If he can carry even part of that into next year, I think it'll be marked improvement for him. I'd never expect him to be a dominant player, but he certainly looked more engaged than I've ever seen him before. That fact gives me a sliver of hope that he can find a little more consistency in his game from shift to shift and game to game.

I hope too...and hope he can stay healthy for most of the season. I'd like to see how that line shakes out.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hope Rick Nash is spending the summer improving his skating. He was skating in molasses all of last season. He has the ability to be a dominant player again.

Honestly though, what's the incentive for him to do this?

He's already made a ton of money. He's signed for 4 more years for big money. Why put in the extra work? It's not like next year's a contract year for him.

I'm sure he wants to improve, but there's no incentive for him to train harder than he's trained before. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would work extra hard during the off season unless he has a beneficial reason to do so. I hope I'm wrong though.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

He's already made a ton of money. He's signed for 4 more years for big money. Why put in the extra work? It's not like next year's a contract year for him.

I'm sure he wants to improve, but there's no incentive for him to train harder than he's trained before. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would work extra hard during the off season unless he has a beneficial reason to do so. I hope I'm wrong though.

Some people like to go to work and do a good job, even if they'll still be paid well if they don't do well. Some people want to be remembered for working hard and doing a good job. He also has many more years at this job and I'd gather he doesn't want to be known as a guy who just collects a paycheck, which would affect his market value when he's 34 and looking for work again. Maybe he actually does want to win. For himself, the fans, his coaches and teammates and sees where he can improve. Many professional athletes keep trying to get better and don't want to stop.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some people like to go to work and do a good job, even if they'll still be paid well if they don't do well. Some people want to be remembered for working hard and doing a good job. He also has many more years at this job and I'd gather he doesn't want to be known as a guy who just collects a paycheck, which would affect his market value when he's 34 and looking for work again. Maybe he actually does want to win. For himself, the fans, his coaches and teammates and sees where he can improve. Many professional athletes keep trying to get better and don't want to stop.

Good points. The question is whether or not Nash is one of these people. I hope he is, but I have my doubts.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So in your world being shocked if Nash scores 25 goals in half a season is being pessimistic just to be pessimistic? Lol ok...

I misread the quote. Didn't realize he was saying 25 in 41.

I take that back. My apologies.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Good points. The question is whether or not Nash is one of these people. I hope he is, but I have my doubts.

We will see. The guy did suffer a concussion in October and missed 17 games as a result. Concussions are tricky. Some rest away from the game could be good for him and he could be reinvigorated to begin the season. I do wonder how the concussion affected the rest of his season and if effects lingered on and off. Let's just hope he's healthy and we shall see...

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We will see. The guy did suffer a concussion in October and missed 17 games as a result. Concussions are tricky. Some rest away from the game could be good for him and he could be reinvigorated to begin the season. I do wonder how the concussion affected the rest of his season and if effects lingered on and off. Let's just hope he's healthy and we shall see...

Yeah, I've said a healthy Nash for an entire season most likely gets us 30-35 goals and 30-35 assists. This would be a nice bounce back year but these numbers are right in line with his career averages. Not sure how he'd do in the playoffs but I wouldn't expect a lot of production.

Hoping for improvement on these numbers or his overall game is being very optimistic at this stage of his career, given his age and injury history.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site

Nash is a bit of an oddball no doubt. Very quiet demeanor it seems. But I believe that underneath his carefree persona he is a very prideful player. Theres no question that his scoring struggles in the playoffs and the subsequent heat he took on both sides of the border took a toll on him and his confidence. I hope he comes into camp in the best shape of his life and simply just starts from scratch. For all the individual accomplishments hes had in his career so far, he really hasnt done jack squat team-wise. His inability to find an extra gear when it matters most has led to many in the media labeling him as a loser. Its up to him to squash that label. I believe he has it in him, but we'll just have to wait and see. Ill put it this way: he wouldnt be the first player ever to rebound from a struggling season.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Ill put it this way: he wouldnt be the first player ever to rebound from a struggling season.

True - he also wouldn't be the first player to start his decline at a much earlier age than you would think, especially if concussions are an issue.

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Nash is a bit of an oddball no doubt. Very quiet demeanor it seems. But I believe that underneath his carefree persona he is a very prideful player. Theres no question that his scoring struggles in the playoffs and the subsequent heat he took on both sides of the border took a toll on him and his confidence. I hope he comes into camp in the best shape of his life and simply just starts from scratch. For all the individual accomplishments hes had in his career so far, he really hasnt done jack squat team-wise. His inability to find an extra gear when it matters most has led to many in the media labeling him as a loser. Its up to him to squash that label. I believe he has it in him, but we'll just have to wait and see. Ill put it this way: he wouldnt be the first player ever to rebound from a struggling season.

Very well said.

I share most of your thoughts but I'm not sure I 100% believe he has it in him to find that extra gear and improve. Guess we'll both find out.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Except everyone on these boards would trade Nash for Hossa. Grass is always greener on the other side. This board had an obsession with ******** on its players. Zucc, Nash, MSL, Hank and Stepan all received irrational hate this past year. It's pretty funny actually.

Are you saying Ranger fans have zero reason to dislike Rick Nash? It's amazing to me that there are Ranger fans out there that want to see more playoff hockey from this man. For me personally I have seen enough to know we won't win a championship with him.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
FWIW, Kreider said that Nash works incredibly hard for every talent he has

I want to hear from someone who 1) Is not a current teammate. 2) Has been in the NHL more than 1 whole season. Anson Carter said that Nash is done as a top NHL goal scorer but what he says doesn't mean as much as what a rookie says huh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad