Coach Discussion: Rick Bowness - Jack Adams Finalist

How would you grade Rick Bowness so far at the 1/4 mark?

• A- to A+

Votes: 149 67.1%
  • B- to B+

Votes: 46 20.7%
  • C- to C+

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • D- to D+

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Count me in the group that say it's too early. Having said that , I would give me an A for the "first semester "

Got to make sure this is not a new coach bump. This can't be a crash diet. It needs to be a sustainable lifestyle change.

I reserve a more measured judgment at the end of the regular season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It is early but i give the coaching staff a A , this is pretty much the same team as last season minus Ehlers for all but 3 games. We had Helly last season and we still couldn't win because our systems were so awful. 14-6-1 and we have played alot of very good teams during that stretch of games. I'm very happy with the Jets so far this season. :thumbu:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
For certain. However, at the 1/4 season mark, I give Bones an "A" for what he has gotten the Jets to do in the first ~20 games. He has gotten an under-performing roster to step up and play for each other. Helley back in Vezina mode. Chef looking dangerous every single game, he has really bought in and is playing well. Our D looks way better as they start to play some coherent systems. Less scrambling in the D-zone when we can't get the puck out.

There's still a lot to iron out, but the team has exceeded my expectations already.
All I know is it's very enjoyable for the most part again, we had 3-4 seasons of meh

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
All I know is it's very enjoyable for the most part again, we had 3-4 seasons of meh

The difference is amazing. Last season was difficult to watch, this season is the exact opposite. Games are exciting, the players are clearly playing to win and giving a good effort every game.

I'm all fired up for tonight's game, which was a rare occurrence last season.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I gave an A for the entire coaching staff: it's never just one man at this elite level.

Even if this is 100% "new coach bounce" effect: at least the team is getting the new coach bounce, since it doesn't happen every time as we all have experienced.

Of course, I don't believe that's it - after all, we started out a little slow and have clearly developed systems that have been improving.

I have to say, though - there is a big element here of improvement by subtraction... I guarantee our D numbers would not be as good if Bowness was forced to work with Huddy, who should not have survived much longer than Noel...

At the same time, Bowness deserves some kudos - sounds like he's more helpful with providing real feedback to the players from day 1, is a better communicator, and shovels significantly less bullshit.

Excellent analysis, lots to agree with here.

I'd add only something I've been thinking about recently in terms of management and coaching going hand in hand: Bowness seems able to let his associate and assistants do their jobs with his full trust while he does his, a birds-eye assessment of the team, roster, systems and in-game adjustments, while clearly being an excellent communicator across those various levels.

To paraphrase a previous Jets coach, he clearly "runs the bench," but doesn't seem to be micromanaging or second-guessing the work of the other guys on the bench.

That's a tricky balancing act, and it's great to see a team finally playing as a team and a coaching staff actually coaching as a staff.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I like that the team is more fun to watch under Bowness. Scheifele's a new man. They're more resilient than in recent years as well. The W-L results are unarguable...but you should be winning a lot of games when you're getting .920 goaltending.

Special teams seem improved, but the advanced stats suggest the PK improvement is mostly Hellebuyck. Small sample sizes, things will shake out, but goaltending is always a big(gest) part of the PK results.

I think overall he's a B. Needed a change, good results, still waiting to see if he can actually fix team defense.

Reactions: Gm0ney

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I give him a B.
You can't argue with the record, it is what the team should have been last year.
I am really impressed not just with the bottom 6, but the way the players rotated in and out of the press box, up and down the lineup have performed. Seems like the lower end of the roster isn't the problem it has been the last couple of seasons if the top 6 doesn't score.
I have also noticed the hustle to get the puck back from turnovers, from mistakes & bouncing pucks, and on the forecheck. That extra effort seemed to be sorely lacking for a while.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I give him a B.
You can't argue with the record, it is what the team should have been last year.
I am really impressed not just with the bottom 6, but the way the players rotated in and out of the press box, up and down the lineup have performed. Seems like the lower end of the roster isn't the problem it has been the last couple of seasons if the top 6 doesn't score.
I have also noticed the hustle to get the puck back from turnovers, from mistakes & bouncing pucks, and on the forecheck. That extra effort seemed to be sorely lacking for a while.
What’s keeping it from an A?

Reactions: AlaskaJet

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I agree with a lot of you guys with the premise that it's too early to really tell how much a difference Bowness is making. However, I will say that the attention to detail and attention to 5 man defensive play has been trending up all season since Bowness took over. I'm excited to see if the team continues to improve in this aspect of play or if they regress.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I gave him a B. The power play still needs to be better and Bones still has the tendency to resort to falling back on his vets.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Did anyone explain to Bones that attendance and participation will factor into his final grade?

Loses 2% of his final mark for last night's no-show.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I voted on this a while back, but haven't posted my thoughts.

I would grade him a B+ so far. He definitely has had a positive impact, and the results speak for themselves. However, it's still early in the season, so is this because of Bowness, or the typical new coach bounce? That remains to be seen.

I'm not sold on Bowness as a long term solution. But I'm willing to see how the season plays out and make my decision next offseason.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
🤡

I am giving you a special sticker for your grading. I also am omitting it from results and am sending you back to Facebook to comment there ;)
I am as entitled to comment on the board as you are! Also, my vote was an A so you are omitting someone’s answers from results.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Connor on Chiclets was interesting saying how Maurice would go weeks without talking to players while Bowness has much more of an informal relationship to go along with being the coach.

I think that's really important to give credibility to the callouts at times for lazy and ineffective play. He's got a relationship with the team and players on a human level.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Connor on Chiclets was interesting saying how Maurice would go weeks without talking to players while Bowness has much more of an informal relationship to go along with being the coach.

I think that's really important to give credibility to the callouts at times for lazy and ineffective play. He's got a relationship with the team and players on a human level.
Ok so why was Chipman so enamoured???!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5