Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bjugstad's 40-50 points are never going to mean anything if we don't find a guy who can stop pucks consistently on the other end.

Relying on an unproven prospect (Markstrom) to fix the issue when he's showing no signs of improvement is also poor asset management.

Okay? So there are other people and picks to trade. Maybe trade Petrovic? Or Matthias and second? Bjugstad looks good. No need to panic and trade him for a temporary fix. There's a lot of time left before the start of next season to figure out the goaltending situation.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well, you're apparently not willing to trade. The list of free agent goaltenders is out there. I (along with another poster) actually brought up Craig Anderson. Is there a better option on the upcoming list of free agents (since you're not willing to trade prospects)?

I'm willing to trade prospects. Whose to say Anderson is available? What if they wanted Huberdeau? Or are you now against trading prospects like I am when the value doesn't make sense for us?

Erick*

Okay? So there are other people and picks to trade. Maybe trade Petrovic? Or Matthias and second? Bjugstad looks good. No need to panic and trade him for a temporary fix. There's a lot of time left before the start of next season to figure out the goaltending situation.

I'm not saying he doesn't. You have to trade something good to get something good.

Erick*

I'm willing to trade prospects. Whose to say Anderson is available? What if they wanted Huberdeau? Or are you now against trading prospects like I am when the value doesn't make sense for us?

Why wouldn't Anderson be available? It's been rumored and it makes sense because they have one of the best young goalies in the game already.

Bjugstad is not Huberdeau. Do you value them the same way? If you do, that makes no sense.

I wouldn't trade Huberdeau or Barkov. Everyone else is pretty replaceable to me.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'm not saying he doesn't. You have to trade something good to get something good.

We're not leading our conference and just lost our goalies to injury and desperately need one. Trading Bjugstad for Anderson is a short term gain. We'll probably win a few more games, get 15 more points with him in net. That doesn't equal Bjugstad. We disagree on Bjugstad's long term value.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
One of Elliot or Halak should reach the FA market.

And Hiller should too, with the goalie depth Anaheim has.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
if anderson wants to livei n SOFLA, just sign him in 1½ year

its just dumb to give up a serious and significant piece for a goaltender who have produced in short stretches playing behind one of the best defensive teams last year

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Why wouldn't Anderson be available? It's been rumored and it makes sense because they have one of the best young goalies in the game already.

Bjugstad is not Huberdeau. Do you value them the same way? If you do, that makes no sense.

I wouldn't trade Huberdeau or Barkov. Everyone else is pretty replaceable to me.

Why wouldn't he be? Because Ottawa likes their goalie depth? I don't know their GM;s strategy.

My point bringing up Huberdeau is that his value, like Bjugstad's is worth more to this organization long term than short term Anderson.

Erick*

We're not leading our conference and just lost our goalies to injury and desperately need one. Trading Bjugstad for Anderson is a short term gain. We'll probably win a few more games, get 15 more points with him in net. That doesn't equal Bjugstad. We disagree on Bjugstad's long term value.

Anderson is under contract next year. The team would have stability and plenty of time to decide what they want to do in net based on Markstrom's play. They could always just trade Anderson again next year for another one of those valuable "prospects" if Markstrom pans out.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Anderson is under contract next year. The team would have stability and plenty of time to decide what they want to do in net based on Markstrom's play. They could always just trade Anderson again next year for another one of those valuable "prospects" if Markstrom pans out.

We could also sign a UFA and keep Bjugstad. That's the best option, disagree?

Erick*

Why wouldn't he be? Because Ottawa likes their goalie depth? I don't know their GM;s strategy.

My point bringing up Huberdeau is that his value, like Bjugstad's is worth more to this organization long term than short term Anderson.

That's an opinion.

What's a fact is that those two guys (Huberdeau/Bjugstad) are a different caliber of player. Huberdeau could be a franchise player one day. He's already won the Calder. Bjugstad is probably not that.

Erick*

Huh? Elliot, Halak, Hiller?

Elliott and Halak would probably suck here. They're a product of the Blues system.
Those three guys would also probably be more expensive than Anderson since they're going to be free agents.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Trading for Luongo doesnt seem like such a bad idea now. Should have pulled the trigger over the summer.

Except now whenever he retires, the Canucks get that cap recapture penalty, no?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Elliott and Halak would probably suck here. They're a product of the Blues system.
Those three guys would also probably be more expensive than Anderson since they're going to be free agents.

You're in the minority then. They'd be a significant upgrade over what we have now. Halak especially.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Make the argument for Elliott being a product of the Blues, but Halak was a well-respected goaltender before he was dealt from MTL. The guy is good, and I'd love him here -- ahead of Anderson. Also agree with RR that dealing kulikov for anderson isn't good asset management imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad