Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
So how do we "easily" fix the goaltending?

i thought we had a trade going last week with ottawa and it would have involved anderson. It was a huge mistake to not sign him in the first place. I would love to see him back on our team.

I am apparently in the minority but i have no qualms for trading propsects who may or may not pan out for proven commodities. Kulikov for Anderson problem 1 solved.

Erick*

Some of you are really oversimplifying Tallon's job to fix this team.

Oh just go out and get a good goalie? Sure thing! There are tons of great goalies available right now, right?

Coaching change? Sure, who is out there to replace Dineen at this current moment?

Trade Versteeg/Upshall/Campbell? Who the hell wants them for what they're making compared to their performance?

Reality of it is, that we won't see any possible significant changes until the offseason.

In fact if we do end up with a top 5 pick, I think we should move it for a established player.

The Versteeg/Upshall/Campbell thing is Tallon's fault.

I'll agree that it's not that easy, but the team needs to make moves. Anaheim has three capable goaltenders on its roster. Some are inexperienced, but the point is they're all looking good. Maybe make a minor trade for one of those guys. It doesn't have to be a superstar.

Right now, Markstrom is not ready. The quick fix is clearly goaltending. I don't care if the guy is the solution or not. I'm willing to give up a pick for a goaltender who might help us in the next couple of years. I'm willing to experiment.

Let's face it, this team does not play as well as the team two years ago, but the main reason why we made the playoffs two years ago was the big saves we would get to sometimes just salvage a point. That team that made the playoffs wasn't great defensively either.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
i thought we had a trade going last week with ottawa and it would have involved anderson. It was a huge mistake to not sign him in the first place. I would love to see him back on our team.

I am apparently in the minority but i have no qualms for trading propsects who may or may not pan out for proven commodities. Kulikov for Anderson problem 1 solved.

So you wouldn't mind dealing a guy like Bjugstad for Anderson?

Even with Anderson, not sure if he doesn't let up 3 goals against EDM with the way our defense is "playing"

Erick*

I agree with you.

Even though Anderson suffered an injury the last time he played so that sucks.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Even with Anderson, not sure if he doesn't let up 3 goals against EDM with the way our defense is "playing"

Not in the slightest. I would hope it would be anderson + but as I said earlier we have got to start somewhere. I seriously believe bringing in a quality goaltender will make waves of confidence throughout our team and our defense will start playing much better. The same could be accomplished with thomas but the old geezer cant stay healthy.

I wasnt the only one who noticed our cavernous empty arena last night. We need a shake up immediately, we need to win immediately.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Dunno, but he sounds like a pizza topping.

pasta_lg.jpg

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Kulikov is so undervalued. Trading him for Anderson would be idiotic. We'd have no d-men who can actually play defense. Kulikov is by far our best asset on D. He could be a key piece for years. Anderson could be a temporary fix.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

He doesn't let in the world's softest goal. Bjugstad has too much potential, yes, I know potential, for a veteran goalie. This season is a loss. We can't give up a quality prospect for short term gains. We could move him for a Lehner type though.

Erick*

I'm sure Anderson would have no problem with it. His defense in Ottawa is worse. He's just a real NHL goalie so he doesn't look lost in the process.

And whether or not you would trade Bjugstad for Anderson is dependent on what you think Bjugstad is going to become. What's his ceiling? Nobody knows because he's just a prospect with potential. I know we've had a ton of prospects like him who have amounted to nothing. I know Craig Anderson has proven he can stop pucks at the NHL level. People tend to ignore the present when it comes to trades.

With the current group of players, you're counting on Huberdeau and Barkov to become point-per-game players, you're counting on Kulikov and Gudbranson becoming stud defensemen, Bjugstad to become the 2nd line stud C, Markstrom to be the franchise goalie and some of the prospects at the AHL level, etc. to have an impact in the NHL.

That's what we're currently counting on to become Cup contenders one day. Will some of those things happen? Sure. Will all of those things happen? No. Will the majority of those things happen? Probably not. That's usually the way it works.

The only problem with Anderson for Bjugstad is that Ottawa probably wouldn't do it.

Erick*

Kulikov is so undervalued. Trading him for Anderson would be idiotic. We'd have no d-men who can actually play defense. Kulikov is by far our best asset on D. He could be a key piece for years. Anderson could be a temporary fix.

Anderson is under contract next year. By next year, Markstrom could improve. You could trade Anderson for a similar player probably. And if Markstrom does not improve, you can just keep Anderson, a top-10 goalie, and re-sign him which he would probably do (doesn't he still live here?)

Either way, you need a goaltender. Right now, we don't have one. As bad as the rest of the team is, not having a goaltender is an issue.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

If you think kulikov would be the key cog of our defense on a stanley cup contender team than i assure no banners will be hanging from the rafters any time soon.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If you think kulikov would be the key cog of our defense on a stanley cup contender team than i assure no banners will be hanging from the rafters any time soon.

Kulikov is still young and plays very well on a team that is a disaster. He can match up against tough competition, move the puck well, and provide some offense. He is already a second pairing guy. He's going to get better and is light years better than Gudbranson, a player many here consider a key piece to this team's future.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Anderson is under contract next year. By next year, Markstrom could improve. You could trade Anderson for a similar player probably. And if Markstrom does not improve, you can just keep Anderson, a top-10 goalie, and re-sign him which he would probably do (doesn't he still live here?)

Either way, you need a goaltender. Right now, we don't have one. As bad as the rest of the team is, not having a goaltender is an issue.

Goaltending can be addressed in the offseason. Trading for one now would certainly help this team but the cost of a Bjugstad makes little sense to move from last place to third or fourth from last.

Erick*

He doesn't let in the world's softest goal. Bjugstad has too much potential, yes, I know potential, for a veteran goalie. This season is a loss. We can't give up a quality prospect for short term gains. We could move him for a Lehner type though.

Bjugstad isn't worth a franchise goaltender. Lehner is a young goalie who, unlike Markstrom, is proving his worth already at the NHL level. Those guys are worth more than a Bjugstad who's proven nothing.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Bjugstad isn't worth a franchise goaltender. Lehner is a young goalie who, unlike Markstrom, is proving his worth already at the NHL level. Those guys are worth more than a Bjugstad who's proven nothing.

You can add to the Bjugstad trade. I don't mean a one for one swap. Regardless, trading a player in Bjugstad who looks to be adapting well to the NHL game for a temporary fix is poor asset management.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
And whether or not you would trade Bjugstad for Anderson is dependent on what you think Bjugstad is going to become. What's his ceiling? Nobody knows because he's just a prospect with potential. I know we've had a ton of prospects like him who have amounted to nothing. I know Craig Anderson has proven he can stop pucks at the NHL level. People tend to ignore the present when it comes to trades.

With the current group of players, you counting on Huberdeau and Barkov to become point-per-game players, you're counting on Kulikov and Gudbranson becoming stud defensemen, Bjugstad to become the 2nd line stud C, Markstrom to be the franchise goalie and some of the prospects at the AHL level, etc. to have an impact in the NHL.

That's what we're currently counting on to become Cup contenders one day. Will some of those things happen? Sure. Will all of those things happen? No. Will the majority of those things happen? Probably not. That's usually the way it works.

The only problem with Anderson for Bjugstad is that Ottawa probably wouldn't do it.

I know what you are saying about prospects that didn't pan out like expected, but, we haven't had a prospect similar to Bjugstad, unless you are strictly talking about point potential.
I like that Craig is signed through next year, and he would bring stability and consistency.
However, IMO it would just be like the Luongo/Vokoun years. Anderson would make this team better, but, probably 10th or 11th out of 16 in the East. He may improve the GAA, but the team has major issues scoring.
The team sucks. Like I said earlier, the team needs stitches to stop the bleeding, and Anderson would just be a big bandaid. Helps, but, won't stop the bleeding.

I fine with the team really sucking, again, and getting a top pick this year.
I rather see that than get a pick from 5-14th-ish range.
Then hope to gawd that this offseason our owner(s) allow Tallon to acquire legit top 6 talent to support Huberdeau, Barkov and Bjugstad and some top 4 defensemen.

Erick*

Kulikov is still young and plays very well on a team that is a disaster. He can match up against tough competition, move the puck well, and provide some offense. He is already a second pairing guy. He's going to get better and is light years better than Gudbranson, a player many here consider a key piece to this team's future.

Saying he's better than Gudbranson isn't saying much.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees

Keep one and trade the other for help. Thats my opinion, i believe they are equally bad at this point.

Erick*

You can add to the Bjugstad trade. I don't mean a one for one swap. Regardless, trading a player in Bjugstad who looks to be adapting well to the NHL game for a temporary fix is poor asset management.

Bjugstad's 40-50 points are never going to mean anything if we don't find a guy who can stop pucks consistently on the other end.

Relying on an unproven prospect (Markstrom) to fix the issue when he's showing no signs of improvement is also poor asset management.

Erick*

I don't know. Like you said, that's for Tallon to figure out.

Well, you're apparently not willing to trade. The list of free agent goaltenders is out there. I (along with another poster) actually brought up Craig Anderson. Is there a better option on the upcoming list of free agents (since you're not willing to trade prospects)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad