Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Except now whenever he retires, the Canucks get that cap recapture penalty, no?
Some of it at least.

Luongo only makes sense if Viola is prepared to buy him out before Lu reaches retirement, which then again makes no sense from a cap point of view.

CoolburnIsGone

Well, you're apparently not willing to trade. The list of free agent goaltenders is out there. I (along with another poster) actually brought up Craig Anderson. Is there a better option on the upcoming list of free agents (since you're not willing to trade prospects)?
Trading for players is a lot easier in the offseason too. You can often get something done without trading a top-end prospect. Two yrs ago, goaltenders were basically traded for a package of 3 mid-round picks (Lindback, Bobrovsky) though its questionable on what you get for that. Reimer & Neuvirth would be obvious candidates to trade for this offseason who could possibly be had for a package of picks.

Its harder to justify trading a top 10 prospect unless you're getting a guy to build around long term, not a short term fix. Ottawa traded Bishop to TB for Conacher which made sense for both teams but the Lightning did that deal because Bishop would be around for a long time. Prices during the season to trade for guys is always higher so waiting to acquire a goaltender makes more sense if you're just looking for a short term solution.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Still don't think acquiring a goalie will solve anything. Miller stands on his head and he's 2-10-0. Why? Because that TEAM isn't very good and neither are the Panthers right now.

I applaud you for having the clear mind of seeing that goaltending IS NOT the biggest issue with this team.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Miller wouldn't be 2-10 with this team. The problem is that the Sabres are a lot worse than the Panthers are.

Right now, our team save% is .886. That's pathetic. This team with Ryan Miller is a .500 team right now.

I think you are making HUGE assumptions here. But since you started, I will continue... I will say ANY goalie in the league would look average playing for the Panthers right now.

Lampshade85

Oct 29, 2010
Florida
10713188853_6d88a56967_z.jpg

Seriously though if Tallon's going to trade someone it'll be similar to the Booth trade. Like some have already said this team is better than the way it's been playing they just need a reminder that their jobs aren't safe and that they have to play their best to keep them.

Trading any of the youth right now would just contradict everything that Tallon's been trying to build and everything he's been preaching up to this point.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Reality is that this season is over, since a team with our record stands less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

Now is NOT the time to overpay to acquire vets. Now is the time to try to trade our vets in order either to obtain picks/prospects or developing NHL vets from contending teams. Besides, it will also open up space on the roster to give our top prospects NHL experience.

I really do not mind us losing as much as I mind watching the poor play and lack of grit. In fact, tanking is fine by me if it leads to us becoming contenders sooner rather than later.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
So how do we "easily" fix the goaltending?

Ill answer that. James Riemer. He has a career sv% of .917 (2 years being on terrible teams) and he is at .942 this year. His GAA is 2.69 (again 2 years on awful teams) with his last year at 2.46. He is making 1.8 mill this year and is an RFA. Toronto is almost definitely going to go with Bernier, and there is almost no way Bernier will be willing to split time like he did with Quick. Riemer is a RFA after this year, and can probably be had at the trade deadline. You negotiate a deal with him before the trade, and Im no expert on projecting contracts, but I bet he would sign or less than 4 years at less than 5 million a year. You then let him duke it out with Marky Mark for the starting spot. Healthy competition with a young goaltender is what this team needs imo.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Ill answer that. James Riemer. He has a career sv% of .917 (2 years being on terrible teams) and he is at .942 this year. His GAA is 2.69 (again 2 years on awful teams) with his last year at 2.46. He is making 1.8 mill this year and is an RFA. Toronto is almost definitely going to go with Bernier, and there is almost no way Bernier will be willing to split time like he did with Quick. Riemer is a RFA after this year, and can probably be had at the trade deadline. You negotiate a deal with him before the trade, and Im no expert on projecting contracts, but I bet he would sign or less than 4 years at less than 5 million a year. You then let him duke it out with Marky Mark for the starting spot. Healthy competition with a young goaltender is what this team needs imo.

Reimer is no where near a 5 million dollar goalie, now.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

you are willing to give him that kind of money? no... just, no.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Still don't think acquiring a goalie will solve anything. Miller stands on his head and he's 2-10-0. Why? Because that TEAM isn't very good and neither are the Panthers right now.

This. You are all failing to recognize that 3/4 of this team is dead weight, we solely rely on 2 kids that cant even drink yet for our offense to be even remotely effective. Sure acquiring another goalie may steal us a nominal amount of points, but either way were on the outside looking in. And Yea Buffalo, Edmonton and Philly are awful but last time I checked they all still beat us. Fact is teams come down here pretty much knowing that they're getting a free win and that needs to change.

Erick*

You're in the minority then. They'd be a significant upgrade over what we have now. Halak especially.

Even if that's the case, we won't be the only team looking to acquire a goaltender in the offseason. Florida isn't a destination that players are going to love to come to. The team would have to overpay for Halak.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
you are willing to give him that kind of money? no... just, no.

I never said I would give him that money. I said Im no expert on projecting these types of things, but I am pretty sure the numbers would be less than the numbers I proposed. Or in other words, the numbers I proposed were the absolute upper extreme that I could even conceive of. My guess is he could be signed for like 3yrs for 9-10 million over that period of time. But again, I will defer to the experts on what a reasonable number is. My point is simply this, he could be signed.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Why wouldn't Anderson be available? It's been rumored and it makes sense because they have one of the best young goalies in the game already.

Bjugstad is not Huberdeau. Do you value them the same way? If you do, that makes no sense.

I wouldn't trade Huberdeau or Barkov. Everyone else is pretty replaceable to me.

So you're giving up on two 21 year olds in Gudbranson and Bjugstad? I say re-sign Guds to a 2yr deal and give him that time to gauge the progression/regression. Bjugstad is on my untouchable list for now, the kid is really starting to show some glimpses of speed, smart simple plays entering the zone and the ability to keep the play and puck down low.

I highly doubt Tallon gives up those two in trades unless we're getting a proven #1 goalie with 400GP, a legit 1st line forward or defenseman. I'd be happier if Tallon got the pieces you covet so much at Free Agency even if he has to over-pay which will probaly happen.

I see Goc, Kopecky, Matthias and Weaver being the guys possibly moved out, possibly Guds OR Kuli gets moved but not both. We don't know if Viola has given Tallon the green light this upcoming off-season to spend the high dough on FA's.

If Flash keeps producing, he could fetch us something decent if paired with our 2nd rounder this year.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No, just one of those guys and maybe a mid-round pick or something, not both.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...r-trade-ryan-miller-tomas-vanek-nail-yakupov/

"In his weekly look at the trade table, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reports that Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren -- who already tried firing the coach -- is willing to talk about trading "anybody on his roster," including the big guns up front. (Claude Giroux update: still 0 goals.)
The New York Rangers, who haven't fallen too far out of the race yet, might be ready to move the under-performing Michael Del Zotto. The Leafs and Oilers are among teams looking for a defenceman.
As for the woebegone Buffalo Sabres, not only is Ryan Miller for sale, but valuable commodities Steve Ott, Christian Erhoff, Drew Stafford could also be moved, the Sun reports. The Sabres are wisely going full rebuild and want draft picks and prospects."

I'd love to get Stafford if possible for Versteeg and a 2nd or 3rd. :D

I can't imagine Giroux getting traded but I'd be interested in Matt Read if he's available. Flash for Read?? Or maybe Goc or Matthias and a pick for Read?

Del Zotto would be nice too.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I'd do Kuli for Couts. If we were to have Barkov-Bjugstad-Couts down the center? Oh man.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...r-trade-ryan-miller-tomas-vanek-nail-yakupov/

"In his weekly look at the trade table, the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch reports that Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren -- who already tried firing the coach -- is willing to talk about trading "anybody on his roster," including the big guns up front. (Claude Giroux update: still 0 goals.)
The New York Rangers, who haven't fallen too far out of the race yet, might be ready to move the under-performing Michael Del Zotto. The Leafs and Oilers are among teams looking for a defenceman.
As for the woebegone Buffalo Sabres, not only is Ryan Miller for sale, but valuable commodities Steve Ott, Christian Erhoff, Drew Stafford could also be moved, the Sun reports. The Sabres are wisely going full rebuild and want draft picks and prospects."

I'd love to get Stafford if possible for Versteeg and a 2nd or 3rd. :D

I can't imagine Giroux getting traded but I'd be interested in Matt Read if he's available. Flash for Read?? Or maybe Goc or Matthias and a pick for Read?

Del Zotto would be nice too.

UMMM DEL ZOTTO??? More infraction worthy comments from me to you here my friend~!~:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad