Rumor: Richards-Tallon Plans to Make Changes

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Even if that's the case, we won't be the only team looking to acquire a goaltender in the offseason. Florida isn't a destination that players are going to love to come to. The team would have to overpay for Halak.

Everyone has to overpay. There are a few goalies who are available. We can also make a trade in the offseason for one.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Despite Markstroms play thus far, id rather we try to upgrade the Defence and forward spots.. Once TT is healthy, send Marky down and have Clemmer finish the year up here. If we acquire a goalie, so be it, but I dont wanna give up anything of note.

Improving the defence will occur by simply subtracting. Campbell (has some value to someone), Gilbert and Whitney (no value to anyone) need to go and I dont care for what. Obviously harder said than done but they need to go somehow.

Getting a forward for "cheap" (from teams looking to trade ala Buffalo, etc) would be ideal, happy to trade mid round picks and lower prospects, and any forward on the roster not named Hubs, Bjugs or Barkov. Surely Goc, Matthias, Kopecky have value, Steeg.. i guess maybe

Something NEEDS to happen, Tallon standing pat isnt acceptable at this point. The Panthers are getting flogged every game and he cannot allow it to keep happening, or he isnt doing his job. Setting free the dead-weight on this team will make a huge difference.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Despite Tallon saying he will be making changes, I'm still curious as to how long it'll take before said changes are actually made.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
id like to package kulikov in a package for a skilled winger, a rw to be exact. i wonder if a kulikov for simmonds trade would work. we need rw's moving forward, hes skilled and strong and on a good contract (a touch under 4mil per for the next 5yrs).

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
10713188853_6d88a56967_z.jpg

Seriously though if Tallon's going to trade someone it'll be similar to the Booth trade. Like some have already said this team is better than the way it's been playing they just need a reminder that their jobs aren't safe and that they have to play their best to keep them.

Trading any of the youth right now would just contradict everything that Tallon's been trying to build and everything he's been preaching up to this point.

Exactly, it won't happen. That would be like Tallon saying that the last 3 years have been a big waste of time...not gonna happen.

Reality is that this season is over, since a team with our record stands less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

Now is NOT the time to overpay to acquire vets. Now is the time to try to trade our vets in order either to obtain picks/prospects or developing NHL vets from contending teams. Besides, it will also open up space on the roster to give our top prospects NHL experience.

I really do not mind us losing as much as I mind watching the poor play and lack of grit. In fact, tanking is fine by me if it leads to us becoming contenders sooner rather than later.

This. Tallon is not a stupid GM. You'd have to be the biggest idiot GM to overpay for quality vets right now in our position. He'll probably make a Booth type trade, but he's not going to trade prospects.

Miller wouldn't be 2-10 with this team. The problem is that the Sabres are a lot worse than the Panthers are.

For all the talk of team defense (and I'll admit it's not great), the Panthers are allowing 29.3 shots per game. There's nothing wrong with that number. You can say shots don't = scoring chances which is true. But every team allows scoring chances. If you watch hockey games (which I'm sure you and we all do), every team allows scoring chances and every team gets big saves from goalies.

Right now, our team save% is .886. That's pathetic. This team with Ryan Miller is a .500 team right now.

Just on shootouts alone, Jacob Markstrom and Scott Clemmensen have allowed goals on 7 of 10 shots. We might've won a couple of more games via shootouts we got to if our goaltenders could maybe make a big stop every once in awhile.

Tim Thomas should make this better, but he's also 40 and I don't see why he'd want to comeback next year, anyway.

Please. There is definitely a difference between a team that allows a ton of scoring chances per game and one that allows only a handful. Who are you trying to fool? A team that allows 29 shots and 25 scoring chances per game is a lot worse than a team that allows 35 shots but 10 scoring chances a game. Our team defense is atrocious and there's no getting around that.

Erick*

Exactly, it won't happen. That would be like Tallon saying that the last 3 years have been a big waste of time...not gonna happen.

This. Tallon is not a stupid GM. You'd have to be the biggest idiot GM to overpay for quality vets right now in our position. He'll probably make a Booth type trade, but he's not going to trade prospects.

Please. There is definitely a difference between a team that allows a ton of scoring chances per game and one that allows only a handful. Who are you trying to fool? A team that allows 29 shots and 25 scoring chances per game is a lot worse than a team that allows 35 shots but 10 scoring chances a game. Our team defense is atrocious and there's no getting around that.

We're not allowing 25 scoring chances per game and there are plenty of other teams allowing more than 10. "Who are you trying to fool?"

Seriously though, I hope we keep all of these irreplaceable young studs. They're all so awesome and it's leading to such awesome results. Potential > wins, all day every day. :yo:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We're not allowing 25 scoring chances per game and there are plenty of other teams allowing more than 10. "Who are you trying to fool?"

Seriously though, I hope we keep all of these irreplaceable young studs. They're all so awesome and it's leading to such awesome results. Potential > wins, all day every day. :yo:

We're allowing a lot more scoring chances than most teams, let's put it that way. It's not like we're allowing the league average scoring chances.

As to your second paragraph, I'm glad you're not the GM. Did you enjoy the mediocrity of 2001-2011? Rebuilding is the only way to become a great team for most teams.

Erick*

We're allowing a lot more scoring chances than most teams, let's put it that way. It's not like we're allowing the league average scoring chances.

As to your second paragraph, I'm glad you're not the GM. Did you enjoy the mediocrity of 2001-2011? Rebuilding is the only way to become a great team for most teams.

Which young players did we trade in that decade that came back to bite us in the ass? Please don't say Luongo as it was obvious that he was going to be a franchise goalie and that was just a stupid trade. Mentioning the young players we're discussing right now in the same context with Luongo would make no sense.

Basically, we kept many of the young players we drafted and they either a) disappointed or b) amounted to nothing. The failures of the past decade weren't a result of rushing players but rather poor drafting. Kinda like how Erik Gudbranson was a poor draft selection recently.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Despite Tallon saying he will be making changes, I'm still curious as to how long it'll take before said changes are actually made.

I'm wondering this as well. It's kind of an immediate fix we need. So I'm not sure if something is already in the works or if Tallon is now pursuing something.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Which young players did we trade in that decade that came back to bite us in the ass? Please don't say Luongo as it was obvious that he was going to be a franchise goalie and that was just a stupid trade. Mentioning the young players we're discussing right now in the same context with Luongo would make no sense.

Basically, we kept many of the young players we drafted and they either a) disappointed or b) amounted to nothing. The failures of the past decade weren't a result of rushing players but rather poor drafting. Kinda like how Erik Gudbranson was a poor draft selection recently.

I'm not saying we were mediocre in that decade because we traded youth for vets. I'm saying that if we did that now, we'd become a better team, but still only mediocre. If we went all out and committed to spending right up to the cap every summer and signing a lot of the top free agents like Philly, we might get away with it. Would we do that? I don't even know. But even still, Philly has a certain level of respect around the league and is more desirable for a UFA who wants to win. But if they don't turn it around there soon, then they won't be a desirable destination either. It takes a lot of work to sustain that model. A reputation takes a long time to build, and can crumble very fast. It's a lot easier to build the Pittsburgh, L.A., Chicago, St. Louis way. Just stay the course. Those teams sucked horribly for several years, but it paid off in the end.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I agree with Erick, we'd be at a different record if we had an Anderson, Miller, or maybe even Lehner. TT can't stay healthy it seems, and the others keep allowing weakies.

How do you get one of those guys, though?

It's foolish to move guys like Gudbranson or Kuli for them. How do you fill that new hole? Petro isn't there yet.

Other youngs guys, depends on who they are and how that'd affect the team.

Interested to see what these other 'change' will entail.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i like how some people are finally more open about dealing prospects. i mean we have a lotttttt of quality prospects, i know they get talked up and we expect them to be insane but u gotta be realistic, not all pan out and you won't have an entire team filled with them. keep the major pieces like barkov, huberdeau, gudbranson, markstrom. the other top ones are very good and you'd like to keep them all, like bjugstad, trocheck, howden, matheson, petrovic, mccoshen, but you need to have strong quality level nhl players. keep your major pieces, use the others as assets in trades. of those 6 I'm highest on trocheck so i wouldn't trade him unless it was really something good coming, i almost wanna put him in the first group but thats just my personal opinion. the others could all be had if something good was coming back.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don't have much to add to this that hasn't already been said, but I will say that James Reimer is a horrible option for this team. The kid is not that good, sorry.

In regards to the moves, I've heard this **** before.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm not holding my breath for any "changes" other than maybe Dineen getting canned. Would really like to see Versteeg traded for a ****en candy bar (Halloween size will do).

EDIT-Also, I'm all for trading prospects for proven scorers as I am sick and tired of this team not scoring goals for the last decade+, but moving either Bjugstad or Trocheck at this point is just plain stupid. Both of those kids are going to be very, very good for a long time to come.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
reimer is bad, i agree lol i would be pissed if we traded for him, regardless of what we give up (unless its jovo and/or upshall). I'm cool with halak, elliot, anderson, but please no reimer. hiller would be an awesome pickup in the offseason but i find it highly unlikely he signs here, and i think the ducks extend him for another 2yrs, i don't see them giving the starting role to fasth this quickly just yet. and with the blues, I'm sure they'll hang onto both goalies for their playoff run, they have a very strong team and if one went down they'd be screwed if they traded the other already. if they decide to sign one and let the other walk in ufa, that i see much more likely. id be interested to see what either would want in ufa, more importantly from us because we'd naturally have to over pay. i see nyi (if nabokov hits ufa), calgary, edmonton, and maybe philly depending on where they go with emery/mason as the 4 teams wanting a ufa goalie the most. and outside of miller who may hit ufa, i only see nabokov, halak or elliot, and dubnyk making it to ufa, so there could be a bidding war for halak or elliot (I'm sure they'd let elliot walk instead of halak). in that case i would only be interested in elliot/halak or nabokov (1yr or 2yr contract for him). i really wonder what ottawa would want for anderson, it couldn't be terribly much. i really hope edmonton gets miller, that'd make it much easier for us to anderson or elliot.
i hope gaborik makes it to ufa more than any other player. he's that scorer that we need and he's a rw, its perfect, and we'll have the money to pay him. 4yr contract at 8+per (if he can put up 35+G this season).

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i dont think people understand. we might have an extra win by now if we had a better goaltender, but we'd also lose WAY more games in a few years when our good prospects, for an example bjugstad, scores 40-50 points a year and the goaltender we traded for left after his contract expired in 2 years.

lehner is on the same level as markström, the fact is that lehner plays on a defensively better team. stop hating on markström. he's 23... how good was anderson at 23?

like RN said, markstörm DOMINATED the AHL. we need a solid top pairing D á la garrison to play with campbell. can kulikov or gudbranson be the guy? maybe, hopefully in a few years.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if we could get him for less then awesome, I'm just saying that id pay it if thats what it would take. with what some guys got this offseason, and with the cap going up, and with guys like him rarely hitting the market I'm sure there would be a big bidding war for him. he's one of the best goal scorers in the league. i wouldn't say he isn't what he used to be, yea he had a subpar season last year but the season before he had 41G. going further back he was on pace for about 30G the previous season, and 42+G the season before that. if he has a good year i could see teams over paying for him. perry makes 8.6+per

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
if we could get him for less then awesome, I'm just saying that id pay it if thats what it would take. with what some guys got this offseason, and with the cap going up, and with guys like him rarely hitting the market I'm sure there would be a big bidding war for him. he's one of the best goal scorers in the league. i wouldn't say he isn't what he used to be, yea he had a subpar season last year but the season before he had 41G. going further back he was on pace for about 30G the previous season, and 42+G the season before that. if he has a good year i could see teams over paying for him. perry makes 8.6+per

perry came off a career year, a hart and a goal scoring title...

perry is also a lot tougher and power-ish than gaborik. also younger

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
i dont think people understand. we might have an extra win by now if we had a better goaltender, but we'd also lose WAY more games in a few years when our good prospects, for an example bjugstad, scores 40-50 points a year and the goaltender we traded for left after his contract expired in 2 years.

Disagree. Three of the games Markstrom has played in (edmonton, tampa, nashville) have been a one goal game or a tie after regulation. With solid goaltending the team most likely would have ended with a win.

like RN said, markstörm DOMINATED the AHL.

This really doesn´t mean much as we have seen numerous times. Just like people are calling Trocheck to come up and be a saviour of some sort when in reality Kucherov is scoring double the amount while being the same age. Good performance in the AHL just doesn´t translate to NHL for some guys at all.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
The point is to be a playoff team...ohh boo hoo if we had Hasek he would've gotten us 1 or 2 more points ..woooow..this team needs to fix a crap load of things before fixing goaltending ..the fixing needs to be for adding 10 more points instead of 1 or 2 that's not going to change anything . Philly went to the finals with abysmal goaltenders...In pretty sure Markstrom will be just fine if we had a good team, his confidence will be back and be needs to just mature give the kid a break...he's only 23

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad