Confirmed with Link: Richard Panik 4 years at 2.65 mil

Jun 15, 2007
Okay so now...recalculating.

Panik at 2.65
Vrana at 3.4
Djoos 1.00
Stephenson 0.8

1.4m leftover with 21 players signed.

So that's 1.4m for a better 4th liner or two minimum guys.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
giphy.gif

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I guess this deal makes sense, given the constraints. Sure is hard to be excited about it though -- going from Bura & Connolly to Hagelin & Panik is like going from -- hoping for secondary scoring when you know that the potential is definitely there, to -- hoping that the potential is there in the first place.

Especially with Connolly signing elsewhere on a very reasonable deal. That stings. Screw the Pejorative Slurs at the NHL "Scranton, PA" office with that ridiculous last minute cap drop surprise.

I guess let's hope this new 3rd line REALLY gels.

Reactions: Bananas

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Wow. Really surprised. Not for the money, but for the 4 years. So the GM of Caps isnt afraid about his skills. There are skills. But they must send him to some sport psychologist, that will hypnotize him and write to his memory: You must play every day. You must play every day. You must play every day...

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I love this deal, an extra year is fine. Always been a big fan of Panik. So we basically get Panik for a 2nd, 3rd, and 750k for Burk--great deal.

We did lose Connolly somewhere in the mix aswell.

But like in the mains, ill take it. Could have done worse and its only a positive problem if someone takes his top9 spot during next 4 years.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I guess this deal makes sense, given the constraints. Sure is hard to be excited about it though -- going from Bura & Connolly to Hagelin & Panik is like going from -- hoping for secondary scoring when you know that the potential is definitely there, to -- hoping that the potential is there in the first place.

Especially with Connolly signing elsewhere on a very reasonable deal. That stings. Screw the ******s at the NHL "Scranton, PA" office with that ridiculous last minute cap drop surprise.

I guess let's hope this new 3rd line REALLY gels.

Yeah that was unsat for sure. Way to run a professional league bettman

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wow. Really surprised. Not for the money, but for the 4 years. So the GM of Caps isnt afraid about his skills. There are skills. But they must send him to some sport psychologist, that will hypnotize him and write to his memory: You must play every day. You must play every day. You must play every day...

I think it's also a matter of Gmbm not being afraid to move guys out. Players want security with longer deals in exchange for cap-friendly numbers, fine. But few are likely going to get NMCs.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Hagelin might match Burakovsky's output. I think that line's metrics may end up better but a lot of that may depend on Eller's play and whether they play more disciplined team defense or not. Panik can finish and also PK to some extent so there's some versatility. It was just a bit jarring as The Move mostly due to the term given. My first take was that it was underwhelming on paper because these are two compared to Burakovsky/Connolly that bring less ability to finish out of the blue. Panik can to some extent but less so than Connolly and Hagelin is a much worse pure finisher than Burakovsky (even with all of his airmail attempts). So it still seems like a less formidable line on paper and one that I'm not entirely sure could be used in a shutdown role. In practice we'll see. It may be that the pieces matter less than the rhythm, execution level and work ethic they put in. Similarly, it probably doesn't matter what they do with the bottom six if the top six and top four D plays soft.
I thought too much dangle had crept into Eller's game last year. Lots more neutral zone turnovers than you want from your third line C, and much less distribution and putting the puck deep in the right spot. Maybe some of that was a big head carryover from his outstanding 17-18 playoffs, and maybe some was a function of being with Burkie and Conno most of the year, neither of whom are stellar at playing without the puck, and both of whom are just bad at retrieving pucks put deep. Whatever the cause, hope to see less of it next year with Hags and Panik

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I thought too much dangle had crept into Eller's game last year. Lots more neutral zone turnovers than you want from your third line C, and much less distribution and putting the puck deep in the right spot. Maybe some of that was a big head carryover from his outstanding 17-18 playoffs, and maybe some was a function of being with Burkie and Conno most of the year, neither of whom are stellar at playing without the puck, and both of whom are just bad at retrieving pucks put deep. Whatever the cause, hope to see less of it next year with Hags and Panik

Panik is pretty good at zone entrie . He's quick for his size and clever. He's going to help there.

Reactions: Pomee and RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Interesting and good obs. Something was off on 3 and the problem wasn't Conno. It wasn't until game 5 or 6 that Eller looked more like his playoff hero self playing keep away. A bit of a turnstile at 3L was maybe the cause, or maybe Eller was nursing something for much of the year. Or, as you suggested, he thought he had graduated to being a skill guy. Nope, stick to grinding, dude.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Hopefully not the same psychologist Burky was seeing. Was it Troy McClure?

Jun 15, 2007
Eller might actually be the weak link on the third line.

Maybe maaco infected me with the hate virus but I didn't like him much this year. Not skilled enough to be a skill player but dude is kind of soft for a grinder.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Panik is pretty good at zone entrie . He's quick for his size and clever. He's going to help there.

Sounds good, but then Eller better shoot more... and how to include Airmail Hagelin.... the line will certainly have options on how to attack defenses. I wonder if 2 strong ZEs guys will be best split up.

The 3 will need to mesh and eventually settle into best roles. I guess Panik will be shot. Eller will be the big assist guy. Hagelin pushes back to the D.. or maybe they all kind of become interchangeable parts more than we usually see out of a line.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I love this deal, an extra year is fine. Always been a big fan of Panik. So we basically get Panik for a 2nd, 3rd, and 750k for Burk--great deal.
I assume you meant Panik, 2nd, and 3rd for Bura? That doesn't factor in losing Connolly though. It's really Panik, 2nd, 3rd, and next signing for Bura and Connolly.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Sounds good, but then Eller better shoot more... and how to include Airmail Hagelin.... the line will certainly have options on how to attack defenses. I wonder if 2 strong ZEs guys will be best split up.

The 3 will need to mesh and eventually settle into best roles. I guess Panik will be shot. Eller will be the big assist guy. Hagelin pushes back to the D.. or maybe they all kind of become interchangeable parts more than we usually see out of a line.

Hagelin is the best initial point of puck chasing and acquiring a puck. Eller is the best puck "holder" of the 3. Panik probably has the best shot so he'll be trying to be fed.

It'll follow the same ideal step if Connolly was still there. The goal was always to feed his shot. The difference, however, is Panik will be at to do more than Connolly without the puck.

Reactions: Pomee and RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad