txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I actually have nothing but fond memories of Chimera-Laich-Ward right now lol

C La W(ard)………...Sela Ward

35461628.jpg

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I guess that nickname came from somewhere else, lol. Can’t remember where I first heard it. But yeah, I was referring to Chimera-Laich-Ward line, and I definitely meant that as a positive comparison. I think that was probably the best 3rd line of the Ovechkin era.

Reactions: HSHS and tenken00

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is anyone else being reminded of the CLaW line? I feel like MacLellam just built the Euro version of that. Speedy LW with bad hands, jack of all trades, master of none C, and a RW who scores his goals in close to the net. Crazy thing is that despite that line playing about 5 years ago, the modern version is is gonna have close to the same cap hit.

I don't really see it. Chimera, even with his stone hands, would still pot 15-20G every-other-season for the Capitals. He was a much bigger threat off the rush than Hagelin is, and wasn't afraid to unleash his slapper to generate chances. Ward was absolutely dominant along the boards, and a monster on the cycle. He was Ulf Dahlen-esque. I don't see Hagelin or Panik as replacements for either of those players. Eller is probably a better center than Laich (or Fehr), but both iterations of the "Green Line" were dominant cycle lines that kept the puck in the offensive zone with sustained boardwork. I just don't see that same type of line developing from Hags/Eller/Panik.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Yeah I see Eller as the best board possession guy on that line. What I really like is they could be decent in transition. Hagelin driving def back while Panik or Eller cuts across top of circles getting quality shots that lead to scrums.

They’ll have to be first to puck to keep it down low but I think they’ll be effective

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I don't really see it. Chimera, even with his stone hands, would still pot 15-20G every-other-season for the Capitals. He was a much bigger threat off the rush than Hagelin is, and wasn't afraid to unleash his slapper to generate chances. Ward was absolutely dominant along the boards, and a monster on the cycle. He was Ulf Dahlen-esque. I don't see Hagelin or Panik as replacements for either of those players. Eller is probably a better center than Laich (or Fehr), but both iterations of the "Green Line" were dominant cycle lines that kept the puck in the offensive zone with sustained boardwork. I just don't see that same type of line developing from Hags/Eller/Panik.

Panik’s definitely not the board warrior that Ward is, I won’t argue with that, but you don’t remember a large portion of Chimera’s breakaways ending with a shot straight into the goalie’s gut? He had some good goal totals, but so has Hagelin. Carl’s not as big of a pest, but I think otherwise those two are pretty similar.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, and the comparisons are kind of superficial, but I think in general this can be a line that replicates the results of that one. A line that’s greater than the sum of its parts, and can chip in ~45 goals while taking tough assignments and driving play forward.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Panik’s definitely not the board warrior that Ward is, I won’t argue with that, but you don’t remember a large portion of Chimera’s breakaways ending with a shot straight into the goalie’s gut? He had some good goal totals, but so has Hagelin. Carl’s not as big of a pest, but I think otherwise those two are pretty similar.

Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, and the comparisons are kind of superficial, but I think in general this can be a line that replicates the results of that one. A line that’s greater than the sum of its parts, and can chip in ~45 goals while taking tough assignments and driving play forward.

Obviously I couldn't be more wrong but I used to watch Chimera and think that I had better hands than he did. Good ole' Stone Hands, loved that guy.

Reactions: HSHS

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Lost in all the talk about how much Hagelin airmails the puck is the fact that Eller shoots directly into the goalies crest 9 times out of 10.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Good signing by Washington, certainly when you look at the money being thrown on some other FA's on the market.

Reactions: Pomee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad